All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

You’re right on that. Still if 1 goes down Konate is playing big minutes with no good big bench player.

On bright side though I like our team next year especially if we can add a good backup pg. it would be nice if Harris improved and could especially at 6 feet for rebounding and defending circumstances and would be awesome for shooting playing him and Gabe together if he could
PG: Washington
SG: Pree. Kalscheur/Harris
SF: Coffey. Davonte. Hurt
PF: Murph. Curry. Omersa
C: Oturu. Stockman

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is nobody talking about Anfernee Simmons? He's the #7 recruit in the country and listed Minnesota as one of the 4 teams recruiting him the hardest yesterday.
"Recruiting me hardest" might not necessarily mean "my top 4 favorites." He has officially visited NC State and Tennessee since decommitting from Louisville. Until he lines up a visit here or has an in-home with Pitino, I would think the Gophers really don't have a shot.

My BS detector is going off in regards to the reported offer to Giorgi Bezhanishvili. Nevertheless, I watched some highlights of a recent game of his available on YouTube (search his name, highlights are for the game not just him) as well as some individual skills training in another video (mostly seemed like a cardio workout with emphasis on him dunking). He seems to be very stiff and slow in game action moving similar to Isaac Haas. He did seem comfortable shooting the 3 going 1-2 in the video and displaying a nice stroke. Obviously, just an initial impression with very little to go on but he seems very different in skill set than big Pitino has previously coveted.

GameDay- I'd love for the Gophers to land Anfernee Simmons but it seems like such a pipe dream right now with how things are going for this program. My hope is that Rick Pitino is using his connections (legally or at least without getting caught if not) to help land us Simmons or the Missouri guard that was previously committed to him at Louisville. Either would be an enormous get for the program and be a very welcomed piece of good news for a fan base that's had literally nothing to smile about in months.

Will see Josiah James later this week and will let you know if any Gopher staff or scouts are present.

On bright side though I like our team next year especially if we can add a good backup pg. it would be nice if Harris improved and could especially at 6 feet for rebounding and defending circumstances and would be awesome for shooting playing him and Gabe together if he could
PG: Washington
SG: Pree. Kalscheur/Harris
SF: Coffey. Davonte. Hurt
PF: Murph. Curry. Omersa
C: Oturu. Stockman

Show Pree as backing up Washington, which he will, and show Curry as the third center, because we'll have to go small at times.

Definitely some room for excitement with that roster. Plenty of talent, but it'll be a work in progress from the get go. The big question shaping up is Oturu: Will he be a 4-star who hits the ground running like Coffey or like that frosh center at Arkansas who's averaging 11 ppg, or will he be someone who takes much of his first year to get his sea legs, like Washington has? Unlike Washington, Oturu will be the presumed starter, so the position of greatest need: kinda shaky to say the least.

We got Bobby Jackson as a Junior - where did he play his first two years?

Show Pree as backing up Washington, which he will, and show Curry as the third center, because we'll have to go small at times.

Definitely some room for excitement with that roster. Plenty of talent, but it'll be a work in progress from the get go. The big question shaping up is Oturu: Will he be a 4-star who hits the ground running like Coffey or like that frosh center at Arkansas who's averaging 11 ppg, or will he be someone who takes much of his first year to get his sea legs, like Washington has? Unlike Washington, Oturu will be the presumed starter, so the position of greatest need: kinda shaky to say the least.

If that is the case, we'll be an injury to IW away from another train-wreck.

If that is the case, we'll be an injury to IW away from another train-wreck.

Perhaps. Keep in mind, though, that McBrayer was the 2nd point guard last year, and he did a pretty decent job spelling Nate.

Perhaps. Keep in mind, though, that McBrayer was the 2nd point guard last year, and he did a pretty decent job spelling Nate.

I guess. I'm remembering about 7 consecutive turnovers in the Iowa game though.

If we're going to use the last scholly on a 4 or 5, why not offer Sy Chatman from CDH? He's been very impressive in the last year including in the game vs DLS on Saturday.

Heard that but his support team wants him to mature through a normal track and both he and his family are serious about the academic track.

If we're going to use the last scholly on a 4 or 5, why not offer Sy Chatman from CDH? He's been very impressive in the last year including in the game vs DLS on Saturday.

I saw Chatman on Saturday.

He's got good size and athleticism, but I'm not sure he's a Big Ten caliber player.

I saw Chatman on Saturday.

He's got good size and athleticism, but I'm not sure he's a Big Ten caliber player.
I've seen him a few times and like him but agree with you. He has really developed and taken some big leaps forward in the past couple years but to me he is like a lite version of Jarvis Omersa.

Point Guard from Cretin #5 was the best player on the court Saturday Night

I've seen him a few times and like him but agree with you. He has really developed and taken some big leaps forward in the past couple years but to me he is like a lite version of Jarvis Omersa.

I went to the game to watch future Gophers Oturo and Gabe, but came a way very impressed by point guard from Cretin. He stole the show for at least one night.

I went to the game to watch future Gophers Oturo and Gabe, but came a way very impressed by point guard from Cretin. He stole the show for at least one night.

Ryan Larson, he has some D2 offers... would love to see him as a walk on. We need guard depth and he could develop into a decent bench player/backup imo

Sounds like Pitino might get a 5 Star or Grad Transfer. Still hoping we get one more point guard and Reid Travis as a grad transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought REID was already going to start his grad work this semester at Stanford. His family is not impressed with the U.

They made a direct comparison to the difference in the academic opportunity. Pretty sure Reid had the schools close in regards to basketball at the time. His support team is pretty turned off by the off the court stuff but i have no idea what their son thinks.

They made a direct comparison to the difference in the academic opportunity. Pretty sure Reid had the schools close in regards to basketball at the time. His support team is pretty turned off by the off the court stuff but i have no idea what their son thinks.

That's what I figured. I've always felt it strange, then, that they attend church at the Catholic student center at the University of Minnesota along with all the second-rate students who attend the second-rate institution.

Granted, the U of M is no Stanford, but what does that mean even? I know that, at least in my profession, all the best profs and researchers prominent in the industry work at public institutions. Those are the folks I would want teaching my children, regardless of the filigree on the diploma.

Sounds like Pitino might get a 5 Star or Grad Transfer. Still hoping we get one more point guard and Reid Travis as a grad transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to have Travis but that would be odd since Murph and he are pretty similar 4 men.

That's what I figured. I've always felt it strange, then, that they attend church at the Catholic student center at the University of Minnesota along with all the second-rate students who attend the second-rate institution.

Granted, the U of M is no Stanford, but what does that mean even? I know that, at least in my profession, all the best profs and researchers prominent in the industry work at public institutions. Those are the folks I would want teaching my children, regardless of the filigree on the diploma.

There are many first rates students at the U. But i know from going to Stanford law that my opportunities were much greater and over 50 years it has become a truly extraordinary place. It will open more doors. In our society it does come with a great deal of impression. On the other hand we have hired really fine representatives from less renowned schools. The acceptance rates bear out prestige but then you add in resources and they are now sitting on 35 billion endowment and a location that takes advantage of Tech, has great diversity of options and a great climate not to mention who you meet. Think it is great when these kids have earned their way to such a opportunity. This may have nothing to do with what he ultimately decides to do. He may desire coming home but there is no indication of that and has extraordinary chances to go anywhere.

Top Bottom