All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

per Amelia on 2018 targets, including:

Here’s a look at a few of Minnesota’s top targets:

The locals:

Tre Jones – Just as it did with older brother Tyus, the hype surrounding this point guard is beginning to reach a fever pitch as he enters his junior season. Currently the 6-1 Tre Jones is ranked 54th in ESPN’s rankings for the class, but his game has time to develop yet. Jones stands out defensively and has exhibited an eye for passing lanes, much like his brother. Rumors that he’d like to attend college close to Tyus – who now plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves – give the Gophers a chance, but also like Tyus, the believed favorite suitor for Tre is Duke.

Race Thompson – The son of Darrell Thompson – the Gophers’ all-time leading rusher in football – the 6-8 Plymouth native’s athleticism is obvious, but Race Thompson is primed to show it off at the next level in a different sport. Thompson, who has also played football at Robbinsdale Armstrong, has enviable guard skills in a bigger frame, both of which could serve him well in the Big Ten. He also has offers from Iowa State, Kansas State, Marquette and Nebraska, among others.

Adam Trapp – It doesn’t take much guess work to understand why the Gophers – and other regional schools like Iowa, DePaul and Wisconsin – are interested in Trapp. At 7-2, he’s one of the tallest recruits to come out of Minnesota in a while. Trapp, who at 200 pounds still needs to do a lot of growing outwards, runs the floor well for his size and has a decent handle on the ball. The biggest learning curve will come in the Esko native learning to battle in the paint.

Jarvis Thomas-Omersa – The up-and-coming 6-7 St. Paul power forward is garnering interest from some mid-major schools along with Minnesota and Iowa State, in large part because of potential he shows as a shot-blocker who is developing some solid moves in the post.

Daniel Oturu – Minnesota offered the 6-9 power forward this spring, joining the likes of Northern Iowa, Providence and Creighton. The St. Paul native, at just over 200 pounds, is lean and still raw but has a natural athleticism that could bode well for his future.

Gabe Kalscheur – DeLaSalle in Minneapolis has produced some very talented basketball prospects the last several years and the trend continues with Kalscheur, who is a rising prospect in the 2018 class. The 6-4 guard is a true scorer with a quick release and accurate touch from the outside and the ability to get to the basket.

http://www.startribune.com/local-talent-in-the-2018-class-dominates-the-gophers-attention/388262271/

Go Gophers!!

Haven't seen Race Thompson play but if her write up on him is accurate and he's got guard skills - which I take as he's a SF prospect - he becomes a lot more valuable in my opinion for the Gophers. They've hauled in solid PF specs in the last two years with Murphy and Curry and if they land Sims, that makes another. Loading up on talent is never a bad thing, but if Thompson projects to be a wing in college, that takes him from a guy I would like getting to a guy that I think they'd almost have to get.

Tell you what, it looks like both Oturu and Thompson have done well for themselves this summer. If you can put together a nice little season this year, landing Kalscheur, Oturu and Thompson would be a real nice start for a 2018 class.

Haven't seen Race Thompson play but if her write up on him is accurate and he's got guard skills - which I take as he's a SF prospect - he becomes a lot more valuable in my opinion for the Gophers. They've hauled in solid PF specs in the last two years with Murphy and Curry and if they land Sims, that makes another. Loading up on talent is never a bad thing, but if Thompson projects to be a wing in college, that takes him from a guy I would like getting to a guy that I think they'd almost have to get.

Tell you what, it looks like both Oturu and Thompson have done well for themselves this summer. If you can put together a nice little season this year, landing Kalscheur, Oturu and Thompson would be a real nice start for a 2018 class.

That would make a really solid class and I think they have a pretty good chance with all three if they start winning games.

per Rayno:

For 2018 – when Minnesota has five scholarships to give -- Pitino is painting a wider brush.

“We need to develop a pretty big list,” he said. “You’ve got five scholarships on papers so I think we need to have a bigger board than we normally would and it’s got to be all-ranging for every position.”

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-o...the-home-state-is-really-important/388835611/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jordan McCabe just announced he will attend West Virginia

Jordan McCabe just announced he will attend West Virginia

Seems like an odd match to me. From what I've heard, McCabe's biggest limitations are his athleticism and size. Will be interesting to see how he fits into a team that makes a living off of pressing/trapping/forcing turnovers.

Seems like an odd match to me. From what I've heard, McCabe's biggest limitations are his athleticism and size. Will be interesting to see how he fits into a team that makes a living off of pressing/trapping/forcing turnovers.

Seems like a very similar style and strategy that Pitino envisions for the Gophers. I'd be surprised if both coaches would make the same mistake and recruit somebody with those glaring limitations you pointed out.

Seems like a very similar style and strategy that Pitino envisions for the Gophers. I'd be surprised if both coaches would make the same mistake and recruit somebody with those glaring limitations you pointed out.

The biggest difference for me is that Pitino may envision that for the Gophers (already seeing a potential shift in strategy given the players on the roster) whereas WVU is already there. They forced the 2nd most turnovers in the country last year (624), and were pressing and trapping pretty much every time I would see them on TV last year. Pretty stark contrast with Pitino's defense thus far.

So I'm not necessarily surprised that McCabe chose WVU, I guess I'm more surprised that he was given the opportunity in the first place.

The biggest difference for me is that Pitino may envision that for the Gophers (already seeing a potential shift in strategy given the players on the roster) whereas WVU is already there. They forced the 2nd most turnovers in the country last year (624), and were pressing and trapping pretty much every time I would see them on TV last year. Pretty stark contrast with Pitino's defense thus far.

So I'm not necessarily surprised that McCabe chose WVU, I guess I'm more surprised that he was given the opportunity in the first place.

Based on their tournament performance last year, they really need a shooter. They were horrible from the outside. Even a pressing/trapping team might give a little on the athleticism in order to have a guy who can shoot.

New Scout top 100 is out:

PG- Tre Jones #25
C- Daniel Oturu #66
PF- Race Thompson #71

Just missed the cut:

C- Adam Trapp
SG- Gabe Kalscheur
SF- Shae Mitchell
PF- Javonni Bickham

Lots of in-stare talent again. Trapp and Kalscheur both were just outside the top 100. Shae and Javonni are no slouches either and are potential high major guys. Oturu, Thompson, and Kalscheur are the guys you really go all out for IMO. I don't know if you waste your time with Tre. Would love to have him, but the Duke connection is too strong. Not entirely sold on Trapp's skills yet. Can't ignore the size though. Mitchell is a guy who I think will eventually get a Gopher offer as well.

New Rivals top 150 is out as well:

Tre Jones #23
Race Thompson #82
Daniel Oturu #101
Adam Trapp #149

Scout top 100 was put out a few days ago I think.

#25 Tre Jones
#30 Isaiah Mucius
#32 Moses Brown
#48 Sid Wilson
#66 Daniel Oturu
#71 Race Thompson

Gabe Kalscheur and Adam Trapp are unranked 3-stars. Another name I didn't recognize was Markquis Nowell, a 5'8" PG from Brooklyn, also a 3-star. Scout and 247 don't list a Gopher offer for Sid Wilson, but I swear Pitino offered him and Isaiah Washington on the same day a year or two ago.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/2018-basketball-prospects

Whoops, I see DeathClutch already posted it, but I added a link as well as the out of state guys we've offered.

I will be very excited if the Gophers land Hasahn French as their second recruit this Fall, without a doubt. I'm also fairly certain that Daniel Oturu would be a priority no matter what, but is there a greater sense of urgency to get a guy like him who can defend and function near the basket? We will be without a true center after next year. I know it's not always necessary to have a traditional center on the floor, but I would feel better if we had someone with legitimate height/length to patrol the paint. Do we push a little harder for Adam Trapp as well? (I also recognize that we don't need to focus exclusively on Minnesota guys, it's just that they are the ones we know a bit better.)

RJ's thoughts on Tre, based on what he's heard is that the Gophers could have a shot if everything falls into place...ie Pitino puts together an impressive season and Tyus has a good season with the Twolves. So we probably ain't getting him, but it's not exactly a Gary Trent Jr. situation, yet.

RJ's thoughts on Tre, based on what he's heard is that the Gophers could have a shot if everything falls into place...ie Pitino puts together an impressive season and Tyus has a good season with the Twolves. So we probably ain't getting him, but it's not exactly a Gary Trent Jr. situation, yet.

Land Thompson, Jones, Hurt and Oturo and these guys could do anything here that you could do elsewhere. It would be great to see a group like that come together to win a championship or two here.

Top Bottom