All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Where did you see that? R.J. Barrett committed, not Garland. Garland is reportedly announcing in 2 days and Vanderbilt is the heavy favorite, FWIW.

You are right! At halftime of the high school football game last night, I saw on twitter that someone committed to Duke, and i thought for some reason it was Garland. The cold last night clearly got to me. My apologizes

Reid Travis looked good in his first game of the year. Could use him in 18-19

Agreed, I usually find it childish an immature to rip kids who leave the state(Tyus, Rashad, ect.) but Tre had the perfect situation here. I really really hope we get Duke in the Big Ten ACC matchup next year. I dont hope for any harm to Tre, but if he ever plays at the Barn I hope he gets booed like crazy or if Duke makes the Final 4 at US Bank Stadium.

Agreed, I usually find it childish an immature to rip kids who leave the state(Tyus, Rashad, ect.) but Tre had the perfect situation here. I really really hope we get Duke in the Big Ten ACC matchup next year. I dont hope for any harm to Tre, but if he ever plays at the Barn I hope he gets booed like crazy or if Duke makes the Final 4 at US Bank Stadium.

Lets be real. Aside from Tre Duke has the #1 and #3 players committed at this point. Both wings. Duvall from this year will almost certainly turn pro so he'll walk in as a starting PG with 3 of the 4-5 most talented wings in the country next to him, plus whoever doesn't go pro from this year's team. The only thing that could be more perfect there is if those guys were a few years older. Truth is it literally doesn't matter what state you're talking about, the top 10 players in the country almost exclusively go to Duke, UK, UNC, KU or AZ. Maybe UCLA too. It'd be great to get Matt Hurt or Suggs but its the Oturo's of the world that we have to lock down

Lets be real. Aside from Tre Duke has the #1 and #3 players committed at this point. Both wings. Duvall from this year will almost certainly turn pro so he'll walk in as a starting PG with 3 of the 4-5 most talented wings in the country next to him, plus whoever doesn't go pro from this year's team. The only thing that could be more perfect there is if those guys were a few years older. Truth is it literally doesn't matter what state you're talking about, the top 10 players in the country almost exclusively go to Duke, UK, UNC, KU or AZ. Maybe UCLA too. It'd be great to get Matt Hurt or Suggs but its the Oturo's of the world that we have to lock down

You are right, but it still sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right, but it still sucks.

It does but the way to make it appealing to those guys is to win. If they have a real shot to win its a whole other recruiting pitch. Truth is that there's not a good history of top recruits going to losing programs. Fultz at Washington, Dennis Smith at NC State, Simmons at LSU, shoot even Rashad Vaughn at UNLV. Those guys go to those 'lesser' programs and have garbage, losing seasons. The 1 and done guys aren't like FB recruits and maybe buy into a vision that they'll see success in 3 or 4 years, they pretty much know the type of situation they'll be in. MN last year is one of the few real surprises in years. So anyway, point is, if they're going to be around for 1 year, they want to play in meaningful games on the big stage. We have to prove that they can do that here and not JUST because of that recruit. We can sell Hurt on the idea that in 2 years he'll come to a team with a JR Washington, Oturu and Curry down low and a solid, tourney team. That's more than just hopes and dreams

Guys, Tyus jr is gone. He wanted to follow in his big brothers footsteps and always be compared to his big brother.

I don't think Oturu EASILY replaces Reggie. I mean nobody easily replaces someone that plays defense at that level. Beyond the stats of blocks his presence in the paint alters so many other things. In time I think Oturu can become a similar style player but from day one there is no way he comes in like that.

I think Washington can be on the level Nate is on but agree that we need another guy that can handle the ball.

You guys over value Reggie. Yes, he is a great defender, but he limits his minutes with all his foul trouble. If Oturu can stay on the court for 30 min a game he can have less impact/minute and be just as or more effective. Plus, Stockman can't possibly be as ineffective as Konate. So, it feels like a wash at the center position to me unless Reggie is amazingly foul free this year. I'll hold my breath.

Washington doesn't have to carry a huge load as Nate next year either. He will need to play solid D, run the offense and ball handle. Don't forget that he will be feeding Murphy who will be a preseason all-big ten along with Coffey. With McBrayer he will have plenty of options to assist to.

Point is, we could easily be ranked as high or higher next year with "Chip on my shoulder" senior Murphy and Junior Coffey.

Reid Travis looked good in his first game of the year. Could use him in 18-19

Even though it's a long-shot, there a chance!

Him and Murph would dominate. + Curry & Oturu, look out.

You guys over value Reggie. Yes, he is a great defender, but he limits his minutes with all his foul trouble. If Oturu can stay on the court for 30 min a game he can have less impact/minute and be just as or more effective. Plus, Stockman can't possibly be as ineffective as Konate. So, it feels like a wash at the center position to me unless Reggie is amazingly foul free this year. I'll hold my breath.

I actually don't think Stockman will be more effective than Kontae. But to your point, Reggie has only been playing a little over half the game on average.. not like you are replacing a 34 mpg guy.

Even though it's a long-shot, there a chance!

Him and Murph would dominate. + Curry & Oturu, look out.

I actually don't think Stockman will be more effective than Kontae. But to your point, Reggie has only been playing a little over half the game on average.. not like you are replacing a 34 mpg guy.

Much better hands, he will be able to catch and shoot where Konate fumbles the ball more often than not, defensively he might not be much better.

As much as I love Konate effort on D. He absolutely kills the flow on offense, we are a one dimensional perimeter team when he's on the floor. Matz has way better hands as long as he can catch and pass that in itself makes him better than Konate. Konate looks good coming off the bus, hell so does Gas but neither them have a clue on the court. Plus will have Murph still so he can clean up the glass for Matz

Much better hands, he will be able to catch and shoot where Konate fumbles the ball more often than not, defensively he might not be much better.

I think he will be ok, a good one year band-aid at the min. Don't have any reason to think he will be better than EE.

Admittedly, I don't know that much about him though, besides some articles and stats from Louisville... he looked better than I expected in the scrimmage.

I think he will be ok, a good one year band-aid at the min. Don't have any reason to think he will be better than EE.

Admittedly, I don't know that much about him though, besides some articles and stats from Louisville... he looked better than I expected in the scrimmage.

Pitino Sr really sticks to the 40 minutes of pressing. Not so much from Richie. Richie is ok with slowing it down if it fits his personnel better. Stockman will probably be effective in a slower pace

I watched Stockman play against Grand Canyon University where he had a career high.

My evaluation of him was a similar level defender and rebounder to Konate but Matz has much better touch around the basket.

I'd like to think that because Matz is a little taller and longer than Konate, he will be slightly more of a deterrent to opposing guards and bigs thinking about taking it in the paint. Shot blocking ability will probably be the same but I'd like to think Matz will be slightly more intimidating due to his length.

Pitino Sr really sticks to the 40 minutes of pressing. Not so much from Richie. Richie is ok with slowing it down if it fits his personnel better.

That's not what he said a a coaching clinic a year after he got here, he wanted to press, press, press and if the press wasn't working, press a different way. But, I'm glad to see a young coach, willing to not be a stuck on his system/philosophy and change it up based on the players strengths.

That being said, Matz actually seemed to run the court pretty well... hell, it's like three steps and he's on the other end of the court.

That's not what he said a a coaching clinic a year after he got here, he wanted to press, press, press and if the press wasn't working, press a different way. But, I'm glad to see a young coach, willing to not be a stuck on his system/philosophy and change it up based on the players strengths.

That being said, Matz actually seemed to run the court pretty well... hell, it's like three steps and he's on the other end of the court.

I agree that's what he said. Wasn't he saying his philosophy was Louisville's for defense and Florida's for offense? But the lack of pressing would prove otherwise.

Guys, Tyus jr is gone. He wanted to follow in his big brothers footsteps and always be compared to his big brother.

He may have wanted to play for a legendary coach in a super program with the very best chance to win a national championship. Kids work really hard to be able to have that chance.

I agree that's what he said. Wasn't he saying his philosophy was Louisville's for defense and Florida's for offense? But the lack of pressing would prove otherwise.

I wonder if the lack of pressing has something to do with lack of guard depth.

I wonder if the lack of pressing has something to do with lack of guard depth.

I was going to post that, but I was going to wait for him to actually press now before admitting I don't know what I'm talking about. Is 5 guards enough depth?

You see Garland committed to Vandy? Maybe he didn't want to share with Tre

I'm surprised Pitino didn't press at all against USC Upstate. Seems to have the guards for it. Maybe his bigs (Reggie) aren't athletic enough against a team like that?

I'd like Jarvis, Oturu and Stockman are all better in space as an athlete than Reggie or Konate.

I'm surprised Pitino didn't press at all against USC Upstate. Seems to have the guards for it. Maybe his bigs (Reggie) aren't athletic enough against a team like that?

I'd like Jarvis, Oturu and Stockman are all better in space as an athlete than Reggie or Konate.

We have 4 guards that play. I would assume he wants at least 5 or 6 to run that style of defense. Not to mention, in a press break, you're putting Reggie on an island to defend the rim if it breaks down. Is that really where you want him to pick up fouls? The front court "depth" is as much of a problem if not more of one to the press concerns.

We essentially have 4 scholarships "wasted' right now with Curry, Gas, Konate, and Matz.

We essentially have 4 scholarships "wasted' right now with Curry, Gas, Konate, and Matz.

You can say he's not up to par, but a waste of a scholarship is a little much. Not like he hasn't contributed and is just wasting away on the bench.. guy has logged over 1,200 minutes in 3 years.

Konate.JPG

I will agree with this.

These are D1 athletes on our team. They should be in great shape and should need short breaks when needing a rest. Unless foul trouble is an issue or our press is getting torched I think we should do more of it.

You can say he's not up to par, but a waste of a scholarship is a little much. Not like he hasn't contributed and is just wasting away on the bench.. guy has logged over 1,200 minutes in 3 years.

View attachment 5197

No doubt. Shouldn’t have included him in that but it was in reference to an uptempo pressing style desire.

Konate fits the other style.

FloHoops: Daniel Oturu & Jarvis Omersa: Rivals Now, A Dynamic Combo To Come

That’s what was on display Saturday at the Breakdown USA Tip Off Classic when Cretin-Derham Hall’s Daniel Oturu and Orono’s Jarvis Omersa squared off as adversaries a few months before becoming teammates at the University of Minnesota.

It was one Oturu’s Raiders ultimately prevailed in, toppling the Spartans, 77-76, in a closely contested tilt among two of the state’s best teams and certainly two of its best big men inside the Lindbergh Center.

“I think it was probably one of the best games anyone will see all year in the state of Minnesota,” Omersa said.

Oturu, the 2018 Flo40 No. 25 prospect, and Omersa, who was previously known as Jarvis Thomas, guarded each other for nearly the entire night, going back and forth with each notching wins and losses against the other.

“I just kept playing,” Oturu said, “thinking about my team and not really necessarily about the matchup, but getting the W.”

Still, the tête-à-tête provided some riveting basketball and a glimpse into the home-grown future of coach Richard Pitino’s program in Dinkeytown.

Oturu and Cretin Derham-Hall got the better of the matchup early with the 6-foot-9 Oturu posting 10 points, five rebounds and three blocks, as the No. 16 Raiders built a lead that reach as many as 10 points.

In the second half, though, Omersa really came alive, exerting his will by getting to the rim and suddenly taking the mantle from Oturu as the best player on the floor.

“I kind of spread it out a little bit more, started taking (Oturu) off the dribble,” Omersa said. “Obviously, I’m a little quicker with the first step than he is, and he’s a little longer than me.

“I was just like, ‘let’s spread it out and go to work.’”

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/6...vis-omersa-rivals-now-a-dynamic-force-to-come

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom