All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Do you mean he is one inch shorter than Tayshaun's 6-9? I am sure he is at least as heavy as Prince was at the same age. If you are talking reach or wingspan, Coffey's is good but it may not be quite as much as Prince's (7-2"). Other than that, I do agree that Coffey shouldn't entertain the NBA right now. Unless your a for sure first rounder it is too risky.

Yes, I do believe those differences in size are significant in terms of how they are viewed as NBA prospects. There may be better comparisons, but to me, they are both slow footed wing players that aren't / weren't able to beat their man off the dribble on the perimeter. That additional inch / wingspan is a significant advantage as Tayshaun was able to operate against smaller defenders on the block and overall had an effective post-game. I don't see Coffey having that same skill set in the NBA due to his size, and therefor, would need to develop ball handling and quickness to beat perimeter players off the dribble at the next level in order to be a legitimate (first round) prospect. It should also be noted that Tayshaun stayed all 4 years at UK.

Of course this is all hair splitting / speculation. I am extremely grateful to have Coffey as a Gopher and I hope he is able to develop and fulfill any NBA ambitions he may have.

Tayshaun and Amir would play in extremely different NBAs. To compare their size and abilities and try to rationalize prospective draft positions would be quite difficult.

If Amir can knock down the open shot, run transition and defend 3 positions he's got a punchers chance.

Draymond Green a 4 year maybe NBA prospect as a sophomore is going to get max money the rest of his career. Compare him at his sophomore year to a "similar sized/style NBA player" from the past and you'd have been dead wrong.

Tayshaun and Amir is a pretty crappy comparison (and yes, I know that Pitino has made this comparison).

Coffey has much better ball skills and passing ability than Prince ever did. He's also a better athlete and a more explosive finisher.

Prince was more defensive minded and had better instincts on that end by far.

But hey, they're both lanky, lefty, light skinned black dudes so they must have similar games!

Northwestern just got their second 4-star commit for 2018 in small forward Miller Kopp.

More directly related to us, Ohio State got a 3-star guard commit yesterday from Duane Washington. 247 ranks him #292 overall, but he's got some nice offers from Michigan, Iowa State, UCLA, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and VCU. I don't know Ohio State's scholarship situation, but possibly good news for us on the Eric Hunter front, though I think Purdue is still the biggest threat to us there.

IMO, it's an interesting comparison (having nothing to do with ethnicity or left handedness, but thanks for that). Bottom line, I don't believe Coffey will be drafted after this year for reasons outlined above. If you have a differing view / comparison please feel free to offer up. Moving on...

IMO, it's an interesting comparison (having nothing to do with ethnicity or left handedness, but thanks for that). Bottom line, I don't believe Coffey will be drafted after this year for reasons outlined above. If you have a differing view / comparison please feel free to offer up. Moving on...

I think its too early to say either way. I hope he is dafted. He will have had a monster year.

Do you mean he is one inch shorter than Tayshaun's 6-9? I am sure he is at least as heavy as Prince was at the same age. If you are talking reach or wingspan, Coffey's is good but it may not be quite as much as Prince's (7-2"). Other than that, I do agree that Coffey shouldn't entertain the NBA right now. Unless your a for sure first rounder it is too risky.

I hate to extend this conversation since it is not directly related to 2018, but Amir had his wingspan measured at a camp this summer. I believe it was 6-6 or 6-7. Marcus tweeted out the details I believe. Amir has played solid and productive D on the perimeter but his length isn't all that impressive on paper when comparing to guys with similar skill sets in the NBA.

Looping back to 2018, I find this conversation rooted in a place the gophers have not been lately: recruiting for the possibility of early departures. Exciting prospects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northwestern just got their second 4-star commit for 2018 in small forward Miller Kopp.

More directly related to us, Ohio State got a 3-star guard commit yesterday from Duane Washington. 247 ranks him #292 overall, but he's got some nice offers from Michigan, Iowa State, UCLA, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and VCU. I don't know Ohio State's scholarship situation, but possibly good news for us on the Eric Hunter front, though I think Purdue is still the biggest threat to us there.

Good points. I don't know OSU's scholarship situation either but I'm sure they have many after the mass exodus of players they've recently had. However, the cupboards are bare, sans this years nice flock of recruits. Plenty of PT to be had. That said, seems like the most recent crystal ball projections favor Purdue. Let's hope their wrong.

The good thing is that Hunter has already taken an official visit at Purdue earlier this September. Our official with him is scheduled for next week. Hoping Hunter holds out on committing until then, I like the position we are in with Hunter visiting us last. Ideally, Pitino really sells the U next week and Hunter has us as first in his head when he makes his decision.

The good thing is that Hunter has already taken an official visit at Purdue earlier this September. Our official with him is scheduled for next week. Hoping Hunter holds out on committing until then, I like the position we are in with Hunter visiting us last. Ideally, Pitino really sells the U next week and Hunter has us as first in his head when he makes his decision.

As a HC, if a player leaves a visit without committing, you probably move on in your mind. You still give them the attention you normally would, but your hopes of handing said recruit has to be pretty low.

OSU just got a commitment from a SG this evening. So getting both a PG and SG commit, this week, really has to help our chances with Hunter.

Definitely helps but Purdue is still the biggest threat.

I don't think we could ask it to play out any better as a Gopher fan. He didn't commit after his Purdue visit and teams that are other threats seem to be falling off, so I think we are now in the best position with a final visit next week. Doesn't mean we land him, but our chance seem to be significantly better than just a month ago.

Hopefully the weather is great, the atmosphere at the Maryland game is fun and Pitino gives him a tour of the nearly completed Athletes Village. We have a real shot and Hunter would finalize a sweet recruiting class.

Go Gophers!

I don't think we could ask it to play out any better as a Gopher fan. He didn't commit after his Purdue visit and teams that are other threats seem to be falling off, so I think we are now in the best position with a final visit next week. Doesn't mean we land him, but our chance seem to be significantly better than just a month ago.

Hopefully the weather is great, the atmosphere at the Maryland game is fun and Pitino gives him a tour of the nearly completed Athletes Village. We have a real shot and Hunter would finalize a sweet recruiting class.

Go Gophers!

Love it!!!
Go Gophers

Hunter did say in a tweet that good things come to those that wait. He may have been telling everyone then, that his choice was going to be Minnesota, since we were his last scheduled visit. He may have just wanted to enjoy the whole recruiting process, but had already decided where he was going to go.

Hunter did say in a tweet that good things come to those that wait. He may have been telling everyone then, that his choice was going to be Minnesota, since we were his last scheduled visit. He may have just wanted to enjoy the whole recruiting process, but had already decided where he was going to go.

We've had an unofficial from him (I can't see if he did any other unofficial visits but 247 doesn't appear to say so). We are the only school to have an in home visit since March (Xavier back then, please correct me if I'm wrong), and we are his last Official visit. Mark me as cautiously optimistic.

Or he could be speaking to Purdue fans: let me finish my officials, and I'll be working my way back to you, babe.

What Richard and staff can do is make it a great visit. Being in the pole position of official visits has its advantages, and this is the big one. Blow him away.

If we had our choice of either, who would people pick, Hunter or Keyonta Johnson? Johnson might be slightly more talented but Hunter might be the better fit for our current roster. Tough choice IMO.

If we had our choice of either, who would people pick, Hunter or Keyonta Johnson? Johnson might be slightly more talented but Hunter might be the better fit for our current roster. Tough choice IMO.

Hunter for sure. I don't know quite how accurate the indiana high school basketball stats are on Max Preps, but they have him as a 47% (187/402) career 3-point shooter. That combined with his versatility to play the 1 or 2 makes him a no brainer for me.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Crazy 3-point % if accurate.

If Hunter can handle minutes at the one, he has good size at the Point. Maybe my memory a little fuzzy, but his game sounds similar to Devoe Joseph's. I'd take that. Hopefully better head on his shoulders

Dammit! This one hurts.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Totally lame - too bad, would have been a great get / would have been a monster 2018 class with his addition. Hopefully Johnson is still in play. Will be interesting what they do with scholly if they miss on both (knock on wood).

Need to change out the picture of the kid we cooled on. Here is a kicked up version of Pitino's tweeted billboard pic.
d8cb6891d019da08a92211145b5a671e.jpg

Top Bottom