All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I'm not in love with the thought of getting Kingsby, but PG depth is by far the most concerning thing going into next season and he seems like he's probably at least competent enough to give us 10 adequate minutes per game, which is all we really need as long as IW stays healthy. Getting a competent backup PG will ease my anxiety and there aren't a ton of realistic options, so I'd be happy with a guy who is super athletic, shoots ~40% from 3, and is one of the higher rated JUCOs in the country. Brock Stull seems like he would be a really good get for us, and if we pull off both I will feel really good going into next season given who else we have on the roster.

Did Jeter recruit Stull? I'd have to think we have a very good shot at getting Stull with that conection.

ok fair enough. I actually think IW does have enough of a national reputation to scare off point guards who are less than 4* recruits. The chances of getting a 4* guy at this stage of the game are very slim, although Pitino is taking a shot at one in McGowens.

It's my opinion that expectations on this board for the type of player we can get are too high. Essentially we are looking for a backup guard for next year that can play the point for 10 minutes, unless we get an injury to IW. Despite the bad year, the roster we have coming back is pretty strong going about 8 deep.

Well, tentatively, that's probably correct. We need a capable point guard who probably doesn't have to play starter minutes, but I must admit that I'm not completely sold on the idea that Washington will have worked out all the kinks and just needs someone to give him a 5 minute breather each half.

Somewhere BGA had what he thought were 8 solid guys for next year in:
PG IW
2 McBrayer, Gabe
3 Coffey
4 Murphy, Curry
5 Oturo, Matz I think that was it....

with Omersa and Hurt fighting to challenge somebody. That's 10 guys who expect to play.

Now, if we could add Stull and Kingsby....WOW!!! But still? Some guys think that is an 8th place roster IF those guys are healthy and eligible?
Come on man! If something close to that happens we will be a better team than started the season last year.
Hoping to read those guys are Gophers!

PG IW
2 McBrayer, Gabe
3 Coffey
4 Murphy, Curry

with Omersa and Hurt fighting to challenge somebody. That's 10 guys who expect to play.

Now, if we could add Stull and Kingsby....WOW!!! But still? Some guys think that is an 8th place roster IF those guys are healthy and eligible?
Come on man! If something close to that happens we will be a better team than started the season last year.

Correct! That is why I say there is no way we don’t make the tourney next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PG IW
2 McBrayer, Gabe
3 Coffey
4 Murphy, Curry

Good vibes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danya Kingsby - Would be a good get.

Franco - is a reach I think but fills a need, smells a bit desperate.

Well, in fairness, he isn't a US player so he didn't get the exposure some others did. From what I have read, he went straight from the Bahamas to prep in Canada. He's done well there and he did get invited to play at a prestigious event.

PG IW
2 McBrayer, Gabe
3 Coffey
4 Murphy, Curry

My concern: Depth is nice, but talent is better. Before this past season, Hawkeye fans were rejoicing that they could go 12 deep in any game. Then they found that a team of 12 mediocre players doesn't win many games.

It will be nice to have more decent players. But I'd also rather have players who are better than decent.

PG IW
2 McBrayer, Gabe
3 Coffey
4 Murphy, Curry

Now, if we could add Stull and Kingsby....WOW!!!

That lineup that you're WOWing about has exactly two players who have ever made an All Big Ten team and one of them, who made an all freshman team, is coming off an injury. And two other significant players are coming off an injury. Also, it's not like Washington has demonstrated yet that he's going to be a top tier Big Ten point guard (the dismal supporting cast late in the season probably made him look a little better than he really was). Yes, if they pick up some players this offseason depth will be much better and that should help but there are lot of question marks on this team.

That lineup that you're WOWing about has exactly two players who have ever made an All Big Ten team and one of them, who made an all freshman team, is coming off an injury. And two other significant players are coming off an injury. Also, it's not like Washington has demonstrated yet that he's going to be a top tier Big Ten point guard (the dismal supporting cast late in the season probably made him look a little better than he really was). Yes, if they pick up some players this offseason depth will be much better and that should help but there are lot of question marks on this team.

If you have two players that can make an all Big ten team- then you have 2 of the best 15 players in the conference. That's a great start and more than most teams will have to work with considering that there are 14 teams in the conference. Can you name a team that has no question marks going into next year?

If you have two players that can make an all Big ten team- then you have 2 of the best 15 players in the conference. That's a great start and more than most teams will have to work with considering that there are 14 teams in the conference. Can you name a team that has no question marks going into next year?

One of those was an all freshman team and there's no guarantee that Coffey will make another All Big Ten team. Murphy is clearly one of the best players in the conference. No, I can't name a team with no question marks but this one has enough uncertainty that I'm not going to make a boldly optimistic prediction (I'd rather be pleasantly surprised anyway). Finally, there is the coach himself. It's not like his teams haven't underperformed before.

Yeah, and we see how well that worked out for last years squad. Wisconsin only had 1 all Big ten player on their roster and still beat us. And both teams had major injuries.

One of those was an all freshman team and there's no guarantee that Coffey will make another All Big Ten team. Murphy is clearly one of the best players in the conference. No, I can't name a team with no question marks but this one has enough uncertainty that I'm not going to make a boldly optimistic prediction (I'd rather be pleasantly surprised anyway). Finally, there is the coach himself. It's not like his teams haven't underperformed before.

This is some serious negative spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of his teams have over performed, some have under performed. You choose to remember the under performing teams as if that is all he has done. That's fine. Be sour about our chances if you wish. I like what I see ahead and I plan on enjoying it.

Yeah, and we see how well that worked out for last years squad. Wisconsin only had 1 all Big ten player on their roster and still beat us. And both teams had major injuries.

Where was the game played?? How much did they win by? Were the injuries for Wisconsin as significant as the losses of personnel that the Gophers suffered? The answers should put things in better context.

My concern: Depth is nice, but talent is better. Before this past season, Hawkeye fans were rejoicing that they could go 12 deep in any game. Then they found that a team of 12 mediocre players doesn't win many games.

It will be nice to have more decent players. But I'd also rather have players who are better than decent.

I agree with you. Regarding Iowa.. Cook and Bohannon were solid. Moss stepped up and Garza was a nice find as a freshman. But Jok pretty much was their team the year before...to me. We could be similar and I don't follow Iowa BUT Murphy is capable of dominating a game. Coffey can carry a team for a half. McBrayer can be the guy on a given night. We've seen all that happen. I think Curry is going to be in their company or rise above them. If you give me those four as solid, that's a foundation.

Oturo is a Top 50 recruit...more athletic than Reggie.. Can he be Reggie effective early? It was up and down with Reggie.
IW has the ability. He needs to figure it out. The potential to be spectacular is there.
Matz is hopefully better than Bakary?
Gabe can hopefully contribute quicker than Harris.
Omersa is billed as the best athlete since Rodney....there has to be a skill he can offer to the team from his athletic gifts...one we haven't had...defense, rebounds, put backs, steals... I dunno his strengths in our system. Fitz was often invisible..will Omersa be?
Hurt can shoot...maybe he decides in his own head he's good at it?

So, to those 10 guys if you add two guards in Stull and Kingsly who can average 10 points a game (who have done it)....we are better than last year with only Curry hurt to start the season. IMO The two new guards surpass Nate as a duo....one is going to be contributing...when Nate fell asleep there was nobody to turn to. IW has to be better...we all expected more. It's in him. That's three guards to equal Nate as IW only had a couple performances early on....he was a non factor and we were Top 10.

The key is the guards...we need two guards like that. Without them we are a bad team or at best far too reliant on IW being superman.

PS And I think Jeter improves our coaching staff. We'll see who else we add there but I think we'll be superior on the bench too.

Did Jeter recruit Stull? I'd have to think we have a very good shot at getting Stull with that conection.

Yes, and played for one year with Akeem Springs.

Stull/Kingsby as the final two additions works for me. Carr would be great down the road but I still don't like the idea of having two transfers.

Classes are fairly even if those are the final two additions.

Freshmen: Oturu/Omersa/Kalscheur
Soph: Curry/Washington + Willis who will be a redshirt junior next year along with Curry
Junior: Coffey/Kingsby/Hurt
Senior: Stull/Stockman/Murphy/McBrayer

Coffey makes everyone on the court better, not having him last year hurt big time.

Milwaukee Journal today: University of Milwaukee’s top three players, junior guards Brock Stull and Jeremiah Bell and soph Bryce Nze all received their release. All three expresses that they are leaving on good terms but want to play higher level ball. Stull is eligible immediately since he is graduating this semester. Stull has family considerations and is a native of Louisville. Stull averaged 13.4ppg, and Bell led the team in scoring including 75 3s.

If UW Milawaukee has three kids that can play higher levels, it has to make you excited for Jeter as a recruiter in the future as well! Would like the Stull kid because I never think you can have enough outside shooters.

If UW Milawaukee has three kids that can play higher levels, it has to make you excited for Jeter as a recruiter in the future as well! Would like the Stull kid because I never think you can have enough outside shooters.

Familiar coach. Immediate eligibility. Lots of playing time. Higher level. We have everything the guy needs. Decision quickly please.

Please, please please. If for no other reason than to shut everyone up on the stupid debate of whether or not Pitino can recruit.

I would put my money on Pitt. If McGowens does reclassify to 2018, he will step in and be a starter from day 1 because most of that team transferred out when Stallings was let go.

Minnesota, Clemson, Ole Miss, Pitt, or Saint John's.

His recruiting timeline is strange. He has only visited Minnesota? If that's the case, how can we not like our chances? That said, the plugged in recruiting guys haven't led anyone to believe he is a Gopher lean (not to my knowledge anyways).

Top Bottom