All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Why would Stull start over Dupree. His numbers are good but he played for a bad Wisc Milwaukee team in a weak conference. There is no guarantee he can guard at this level or he will shoot as good of a percentage versus big ten competition on a nightly basis.

Not saying he should start, but starting over someone does not necessarily mean you're a better player. If player A is better than player B, but player B gels with the rest of the starters more and player A does a better job of providing a spark off the bench, maybe player B should start.

between IW, Amir, and Dupree, I think he could play 20 minutes a game off the bench. I don't think he would be a starter.

While I know there isn’t a huge difference between the two and three in our system (both are “wings”), Amir would play more the three, and Stull’s competition for minutes would be among IW, Dupree and Gabe. Plenty of minutes to divvy up since Gabe will be a Frosh. I would guess 25 for IW, 25 for Dupree, 20 for Stull and 10 for Gabe most nights. Dupree and Stull would likely share the backup PG minutes, and the hot hand shooter on a given night might get more minutes. Also, Dupree’s tendency toward leg problems might mean 25+ minutes per game for Stull. Better to keep Dupree fresh and have him available throughout the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitino is on a roll.

If I'm Stull and have equal opportunities elsewhere, I'd tell the U to go fly a kite after stalling to see if a prettier prom date became available. Xavier is a much better program anyway. Don't know why a one year transfer wouldn't want to go play in the tourny somewhere, as opposed to bottom-barrel B1G program where the NIT is a "maybe if things fall our way."

I get the feeling that things are getting away from Pitino a bit, here.

Ouch. Seriously, why do guys like you spend time on a board like this when you are so down on the program? Just curious.

Ouch. Seriously, why do guys like you spend time on a board like this when you are so down on the program? Just curious.

It's likely that people like that are just as down, if not more, on everything else and simply have a difficult time finding enjoyment in life.

Either that or he/she is actually a fan of another team and just trolling everyone.

Pitino has been pretty good on recruiting. He needs to win a couple of years in a row...and look out, he would be better than good.

The bottom line is that no coach since Dutcher in the late 1970s and Mussy before him, have been able to lure 5* players from outside of the state to Minny and precious few 4* players either. The combination of our up and down history and lack of first division finishes in the BT, coupled with our nasty weather has made it difficult to impossible even for brand name coaches.

Haskins got Vo Leonard and Courtney James as top 50 out of staters and not much more. Bobby Jackson- juco.
Monson got zero out of state highly rated talent.
Tubby got Andre Hollins.

That's all I can remember for 4* and 5 * maybe someone else can fill in a few more names but it has been slim pickings for the past 40 years from outside of Minnesota.

Wasn't Devoe Joseph pretty high?

Not saying he should start, but starting over someone does not necessarily mean you're a better player. If player A is better than player B, but player B gels with the rest of the starters more and player A does a better job of providing a spark off the bench, maybe player B should start.

I actually think McBrayer would be better coming off the bench as a 6th man.

Here is another scenario, just as factual (meaning totally made up...) as any other.
Pitino asks Stull to make the U his final visit, always nice to be giving the last pitch. During the Bandoo visit they feel that he may not mesh with the team, or they know they like Stull better, so they politely advise Bandoo to go to another school. The on-site visit also gives the staff a chance to see the player chemistry with the coaches and team. Now Stull comes in and he gets the hard sell. The coaches already know a lot more about Stull than they did Bandoo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would Stull start over Dupree. His numbers are good but he played for a bad Wisc Milwaukee team in a weak conference. There is no guarantee he can guard at this level or he will shoot as good of a percentage versus big ten competition on a nightly basis.

I'm an admitted Dupree hater so go ahead and take this with a grain of salt, but I'd definitely start Stull (and play him more minutes) than Dupree. Just can't stand McBrayer's decision-making, and I don't like him shooting from anywhere outside 10 feet from the hoop unless he's wide open. Just my opinion.

Xavier has made the NCAA Tournament 16 out of the last 18 years under 4 different coaches. I'm sure this is the year the wheels come off, though.

Have you looked at their roster for this year (With a new coach)? Guessing no.

I'm an admitted Dupree hater so go ahead and take this with a grain of salt, but I'd definitely start Stull (and play him more minutes) than Dupree. Just can't stand McBrayer's decision-making, and I don't like him shooting from anywhere outside 10 feet from the hoop unless he's wide open. Just my opinion.

+1

His Defense pretty darn good!

Stull visited Valpo this weekend and Gophers felt he was going to commit there as it seemed like he was primarily looking for PT. Because of that they brought in the JUCO to visit. Stull decided he wanted to visit Gophers so set it up Sunday morning and he started the visit on Monday. JUCO tried to commit to Gophers and they said no because they have a chance at Stull again which going into the JUCO visit they thought they were out on him. Makes sense now why Bandoo couldn't name the Gophers when talking about his final group of teams as he was probably mad that they didn't take his commitment.

Stull visited Valpo this weekend and Gophers felt he was going to commit there as it seemed like he was primarily looking for PT. Because of that they brought in the JUCO to visit. Stull decided he wanted to visit Gophers so set it up Sunday morning and he started the visit on Monday. JUCO tried to commit to Gophers and they said no because they have a chance at Stull again which going into the JUCO visit they thought they were out on him. Makes sense now why Bandoo couldn't name the Gophers when talking about his final group of teams as he was probably mad that they didn't take his commitment.

If true, a bit of a gambit on the part of the Gophers, going for two in the bush (i.e. someone who can handle the ball).

I’m fairly new to this board, so don’t take offense to this question. Did you make that up, or was that take based upon inside info? If inside info, please post more! Most of the posts here are from people like me that have no inside contacts and just make wild guesses and predictions. We need more posters like you.

Have you looked at their roster for this year (With a new coach)? Guessing no.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to default toward the school with 16/18 Tournament appearances likely being better than the school with 5/18 Tournament appearances - putting aside that the 16/18 school has won at least one game for 4 consecutive Tournaments while the 5/18 school has won one cumulative Tournament game since the first Bush administration. Oh, and also putting aside that the 5/18 school had one of the worst seasons in school history last year (for the second time in three years).

It honestly feels like I live on a different planet than some of you. Are we watching the same games and watching the same events unfold?

Call me crazy, but I'm going to default toward the school with 16/18 Tournament appearances likely being better than the school with 5/18 Tournament appearances - putting aside that the 16/18 school has won at least one game for 4 consecutive Tournaments while the 5/18 school has won one cumulative Tournament game since the first Bush administration. Oh, and also putting aside that the 5/18 school had one of the worst seasons in school history last year (for the second time in three years).

It honestly feels like I live on a different planet than some of you. Are we watching the same games and watching the same events unfold?

You act like the Gophers shouldn't have a chance at Stull because Xavier is a much better program. Just like the Gophers shouldn't have been able to get Lindsted as an assistant.

You act like the Gophers shouldn't have a chance at Stull because Xavier is a much better program.

Where did I say that? Xavier is a much better program, that is a fact and not up for debate - it's not even in the ballpark of close. I never stated nor implied anywhere that the Gophers shouldn't or don't have a chance at Stull.

Just like the Gophers shouldn't have been able to get Lindsted as an assistant.

The Gophers shouldn't have been able to get Lindsted as an assistant - it's still mind-boggling. I stand behind that. That has nothing to do with Stull and I've never said anything like that about Stull at all.

With all due respect, it seems you look at stats and numbers, but don't really watch or follow college basketball. It doesn't matter that Xavier has gone to a ton of NCAA tournaments in the last two decades. They lost their coach, and we have no idea how well their new coach will do. They've had a good track record of coaches lately, but the jury is out. About every prominent member from last year's veteran team is gone. Their best transfer (Boudreaux) decommitted when Mack left for Louisville, and then he signed with Purdue. Look what happened to Wisconsin this past year when there was a big exodus of seniors last summer. I heard the new coach has a bunch of transfers coming in, but that team won't be anywhere close to as good as last year. If they make the NCAA tournament next year, it will be because they overachieved. On paper, the Gophers have a better team. I know all the negative nancies on Gopherhole will probably roast me for that last statement.

I'm not saying that Xavier will not be competitive next year. But they are far from an NCAA or even NIT lock going in to next season. I would guess they'll be on the wrong side of the bubble...

With all due respect, it seems you look at stats and numbers, but don't really watch or follow college basketball.

You couldn't be more wrong, but whatever floats your boat. I feel quite comfortable with the odds that Xavier will have a better team next year. You all act as though teams never have to come back from graduating seniors. I'm quite certain that Xavier is well-equipped to deal with the loss of both players and coaches - and their new head coach has served Xavier for 10 years under the last two head coaches. I guess Ben Johnson didn't get the memo that he was taking a job to head to a worse team.

Where did I say that? Xavier is a much better program, that is a fact and not up for debate - it's not even in the ballpark of close. I never stated nor implied anywhere that the Gophers shouldn't or don't have a chance at Stull.

The Gophers shouldn't have been able to get Lindsted as an assistant - it's still mind-boggling. I stand behind that. That has nothing to do with Stull and I've never said anything like that about Stull at all.

Well Stull should pick Xavier because it's a better program and apparently a lock for the tourney. Same reason Lindsted should have stayed at Wich St.

You couldn't be more wrong, but whatever floats your boat. I feel quite comfortable with the odds that Xavier will have a better team next year. You all act as though teams never have to come back from graduating seniors. I'm quite certain that Xavier is well-equipped to deal with the loss of both players and coaches - and their new head coach has served Xavier for 10 years under the last two head coaches. I guess Ben Johnson didn't get the memo that he was taking a job to head to a worse team.

Kids, especially transfers, don't care who made more tournaments the last 18 years. They care who will be better next year and who will give them playing time. You can make an argument for MN over Xavier in both categories. You're ability to talk down MN is really something.

If true, a bit of a gambit on the part of the Gophers, going for two in the bush (i.e. someone who can handle the ball).

Pitino should have been a bird in the hand type of guy. Hopefully Stull goes here so we can compare the two for next season and Bandoo the following

Kids, especially transfers, don't care who made more tournaments the last 18 years.

Kids absolutely do care who made more tournaments the last 18 years. Kids choose schools like Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and so on because they're confident that those schools have been good (Tournament appearances) and have reason to believe they will continue to do so in the future. Decisions aren't made in a vacuum.

They care who will be better next year and who will give them playing time. You can make an argument for MN over Xavier in both categories.

A homer argument not based in reality, sure.

You're [sic] ability to talk down MN is really something.

Again, I feel as though I've been watching a different program than many of the rest of you for the last 20 years. I'm a huge Gophers fan across all sports, but I'm not going to pretend that we're some sleeping giant just waiting to burst forth and capture the nation's attention. I'm sure that TITTY (this is totally the year), though.

Top Bottom