All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

There is an excuse for every failure. Sometimes it is more productive to look inward otherwise it is tough to overcome anything as there are so many excuses to choose from.

Ben- did the recruiting season end and we didn't get anybody?

Clearly you know the answer to that question. We got 3 really good players from MN. Pitino should feel good about that, but obviously there is work to do BGA. I would like to see this program develop an identity that attracts players; winners who want to overcome. This is not 1960. If you are a good player, you will be pulled to the NBA if you are playing in the NPBL (North Pole Basketball League). Let's get some good players (more of like we got this year) who have the confidence in their ability to turn things around...I think turning something around is a selling point, not something to hide from. This is a major University in a bustling city, there are so many selling points it is sick.

Good post. I don't see the coaches whining about not being able to fill out a roster. I think they will get a couple of solid players to fill out the roster this year. I hope they are Stull and a competent PG who can back up IW. We have a lot to sell- but we don't have a track record of much success for the past 40-50 years. So yeah- there is work to do. People are complaining about lack of depth again. I see last year as a bad luck situation. Most teams don't go more than 10 deep with guys that are ready to play- and we would have been 10 deep last year without the series of injuries and the Lynch problem. It is on Pitino to make sure that he has more depth as insurance and I think he can and will do that. We are not going to pull in major spring recruits -unlike Kentucky or even Indiana. In the spring we are going to get the guys that the hometown school didn't offer or that wants to transfer for more playing time. The problem there is that we don't have an OBVIOUS starting position that we are recruiting to- so that thins the herd somewhat.

Odds are it's probably a blessing that the Gophers are missing out on 4 year guys not named Courtney Ramey that are available in the Spring. I did prefer Miller to Strickland, but I also don't believe Franco was a big secret who just emerged in the Spring. If nobody gets injured and Gabe can play productive minutes, they have enough to be successful now. Obviously that requires all 3 guards plus Amir to stay healthy and productive, which goes against recent history. Rob Jeter, in his interview with GopherSports, mentioned that the Gophers were looking to add (phrased even stronger than that I think, but don't remember) someone that can put the ball on the deck and a shooter. He seemed pretty confident in the interview, but that was filmed prior to the Miller news. I do think that its very likely that the staff cooled on Kingsby, not sure if that was the case on Miller. Seems more likely that he just decided on following Hield to OU and didn't want to waste anyone's time on a visit.

Odds are it's probably a blessing that the Gophers are missing out on 4 year guys not named Courtney Ramey that are available in the Spring. I did prefer Miller to Strickland, but I also don't believe Franco was a big secret who just emerged in the Spring. If nobody gets injured and Gabe can play productive minutes, they have enough to be successful now. Obviously that requires all 3 guards plus Amir to stay healthy and productive, which goes against recent history. Rob Jeter, in his interview with GopherSports, mentioned that the Gophers were looking to add (phrased even stronger than that I think, but don't remember) someone that can put the ball on the deck and a shooter. He seemed pretty confident in the interview, but that was filmed prior to the Miller news. I do think that its very likely that the staff cooled on Kingsby, not sure if that was the case on Miller. Seems more likely that he just decided on following Hield to OU and didn't want to waste anyone's time on a visit.

I don’t really blame Pitino for the lack of depth this past season. I do think that teams at our tier in the pecking order are generally only going to go 7-8 deep in “good” players.

Ok, that said, while we’ll likely fill the 2 open spots, barring a Hurt commitment for the following year, what’s the end-game here? I love the freshman crop and they may have some good teams in 2-3 years...but we’re just gonna try to “get by” with some glaring weaknesses and pray that true frosh can handle some minutes? That’s fine if we hadn’t had a bunch of dumpster fire years with a good year and some OK ones mixed in.

So we probably split the difference this year and are an NIT team again and you lose Murphy and Dupree. Maybe in Coffey’s senior year with Oturu blossoming + Curry/IW as juniors will make for a good year, but it seems as though we’re always selling hope to ourselves with Richard. I’ve been mostly a Pitino supporter but it seems like we’re always waiting for everything to come together and it only has once.

I also think that Pitino and his dad’s teams/Billy Donovan’s require a good rim protector to be a good team. That’s probably Oturu (wouldn’t trust it this year) but since we are less of a destination/blueblood and only have 1 usually and somewhat lucked out with Lynch (on court only), it’s a single point of failure. If the one we have is a bust or is hurt/suspended, a dumpster fire or mediocre team seems fairly likely.

I don’t really blame Pitino for the lack of depth this past season. I do think that teams at our tier in the pecking order are generally only going to go 7-8 deep in “good” players.

Ok, that said, while we’ll likely fill the 2 open spots, barring a Hurt commitment for the following year, what’s the end-game here? I love the freshman crop and they may have some good teams in 2-3 years...but we’re just gonna try to “get by” with some glaring weaknesses and pray that true frosh can handle some minutes? That’s fine if we hadn’t had a bunch of dumpster fire years with a good year and some OK ones mixed in.

So we probably split the difference this year and are an NIT team again and you lose Murphy and Dupree. Maybe in Coffey’s senior year with Oturu blossoming + Curry/IW as juniors will make for a good year, but it seems as though we’re always selling hope to ourselves with Richard. I’ve been mostly a Pitino supporter but it seems like we’re always waiting for everything to come together and it only has once.

I also think that Pitino and his dad’s teams/Billy Donovan’s require a good rim protector to be a good team. That’s probably Oturu (wouldn’t trust it this year) but since we are less of a destination/blueblood and only have 1 usually and somewhat lucked out with Lynch (on court only), it’s a single point of failure. If the one we have is a bust or is hurt/suspended, a dumpster fire or mediocre team seems fairly likely.

It's surprising to me that some people see this roster as an NIT team. Is everyone just assuming that we will experience the same injury/suspension problems that we did last season? I can assure you that what happened last season was not normal and while possible, shouldn't be expected to happen again. Barring major injuries/suspensions, this is an NCAA tournament team.

I can assure you that what happened last season was not normal

You are free to hold this opinion, but the trendline suggests otherwise. The record shows that "normal" for Pitino at Minnesota is approximately 18-16 (6-10). Last year we were 15-17 (4-14), so slightly worse than "normal" but well within the margin for error.

It's surprising to me that some people see this roster as an NIT team. Is everyone just assuming that we will experience the same injury/suspension problems that we did last season? I can assure you that what happened last season was not normal and while possible, shouldn't be expected to happen again. Barring major injuries/suspensions, this is an NCAA tournament team.

First off, I’m of the mind of KenPom and other sites that thought we were a bit overrated in 16-17. We were a 7-9 seed that got a 5. So that’s the beginning of my frame of reference. We’ll never know given the train wreck, but I’m guessing last year’s relatively healthy team still is a 20-25th ranked team with a 5 seed (or so) again. We were throttled by Nebraska, Arkansas, and Miami with a relatively healthy team.

Secondly, Reggie Lynch was a huge, huge deal. Without him in 16-17 and last year, our defense was average or bad. With him, it was upper crust.

Maybe Oturu is ready, maybe Stockman is better than we think, maybe Curry is a rim protector now. 8 don’t know. But we likely will be missing that element.

So we’re left with a decent defense, decent offense, below average shooting team most likely. That’s probably NIT. That’s before you factor in that unless the freshmen are really ready or we strike gold with the last 2 scholarships, our depth in the backcourt is very thin.

I hate to say it, but you have a pretty accurate take here, in my opinion that is. The last few years I have been all about giving Richard more time, and the fruits of his labor would pay off. We really need to ask, what is the end game here? The cohesion of this team is still quite frail, even after what 5 years? To not have secured a back up point guard by now is also a big red flag, he has had what a year and a half to do that? Quite a few mistakes over the first 5 years for Richard, which were of course acceptable and allowed, due to him being such a young coach and all. We are reaching the point thought that such mistakes can not happen any more.

Also the moving on of his 2 assistants is fairly alarming to me, which almost screams desperation to a degree. This ship has 2 directions as far as I can tell, and I think we will know a lot more after this year. Either teetering on dumpster fire, which I of course do not want, or we will be sitting below the upper teams of the big ten, in a positive position to strike the next year. We need to get at least a serviceable point guard back up at this time, are too thin the way things are.

You are free to hold this opinion, but the trendline suggests otherwise. The record shows that "normal" for Pitino at Minnesota is approximately 18-16 (6-10). Last year we were 15-17 (4-14), so slightly worse than "normal" but well within the margin for error.

There is no real trend line. Taking an average of numbers with such a large standard deviation does not represent a typical season! When you have results with such a large variation you need to dig deeper to see if some of the data is an anomaly. I would tend to believe that the two very poor seasons that were based upon an extreme lack of key players are outliers. So, I would tend to lower the impact of those seasons on what is a typical Pitino season. Also, we will have the best that Minnesota offers in home grown players next season. If they can’t give you a “better than NIT” season, then we have no hope of competing with Minnesota players. My expectations are that a typical Pitino season is 20+ wins and in the tourney.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was talking about the injuries/suspension. You are free to hold the opinion that there shouldn't be a significant drop off after the players we lost, but common sense suggests otherwise.

It's highly unlikely that we will lose as many valuable players as we did this past season. If we stay healthy, then I am confident that this is an NCAA tournament team. We can agree to disagree.

I was talking about the injuries/suspension. You are free to hold the opinion that there shouldn't be a significant drop off after the players we lost, but common sense suggests otherwise.

It's highly unlikely that we will lose as many valuable players as we did this past season. If we stay healthy, then I am confident that this is an NCAA tournament team. We can agree to disagree.

I’m in 100% agreement that we won’t have the same injury/suspension issues this season.

Ok, hear me out here:

I think you’d agree that we were a dumpster fire without Lynch, Curry, and Coffey was hobbled/off and on and I guess you could argue Dupree was playing hurt.

Imagine we had last year’s team and instead just took Mason and Lynch off the team. I’d say that’s about the same impact as losing the above list, maybe a little less.

Ok, knowing that, is Curry coming off an injury + 3 freshmen that may not make a huge impact (given Oturu’s late offseason surgery), Stockman, and improvements from returning players enough to improve on our 1-12 record or whatever the heck we had during the trainwreck suspension/injury stretch of the year?

You’re taking 2 All Conference/all defensive team (Lynch) players off the roster and replacing them with a bunch of youth. Coffey and Murphy will improve but not that much. Maybe IW will make a leap but you’re going to need leaps just to get back to being the 25th-30th best team in the nation that I think we were the last 2 seasons at full strength.

I think Lynch’s value is being understated a bit. I hope Oturu brings his impact - and fast, because then I can buy a tournament team. If not, we’re going to have a poor defense unless Stockman is better than I’m aware of. And even if Stockman’s a great rim protector, missing out on the offensive contribution that Lynch had while also being a dominant rim protector hurts.

I don’t know which advanced stat is best to rate guys in college, but Lynch 2 years ago was #2 nationally in blocked shot % and #2 in the nation in Defensive Box +/-. He was on pace to be doing the same last year prior to the suspension.

Even when he was healthy and not suspended, if he was off the court, we were not that good. When he was suspended, it was a disaster. I think Murphy’s value drops without him because he gets picked on as well.

Not impressive? 21ppg

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I’m in 100% agreement that we won’t have the same injury/suspension issues this season.

Ok, hear me out here:

I think you’d agree that we were a dumpster fire without Lynch, Curry, and Coffey was hobbled/off and on and I guess you could argue Dupree was playing hurt.

Imagine we had last year’s team and instead just took Mason and Lynch off the team. I’d say that’s about the same impact as losing the above list, maybe a little less.

Ok, knowing that, is Curry coming off an injury + 3 freshmen that may not make a huge impact (given Oturu’s late offseason surgery), Stockman, and improvements from returning players enough to improve on our 1-12 record or whatever the heck we had during the trainwreck suspension/injury stretch of the year?

You’re taking 2 All Conference/all defensive team (Lynch) players off the roster and replacing them with a bunch of youth. Coffey and Murphy will improve but not that much. Maybe IW will make a leap but you’re going to need leaps just to get back to being the 25th-30th best team in the nation that I think we were the last 2 seasons at full strength.

I think Lynch’s value is being understated a bit. I hope Oturu brings his impact - and fast, because then I can buy a tournament team. If not, we’re going to have a poor defense unless Stockman is better than I’m aware of. And even if Stockman’s a great rim protector, missing out on the offensive contribution that Lynch had while also being a dominant rim protector hurts.

I don’t know which advanced stat is best to rate guys in college, but Lynch 2 years ago was #2 nationally in blocked shot % and #2 in the nation in Defensive Box +/-. He was on pace to be doing the same last year prior to the suspension.

Even when he was healthy and not suspended, if he was off the court, we were not that good. When he was suspended, it was a disaster. I think Murphy’s value drops without him because he gets picked on as well.

Totally agree on Lynch. I heard a sportscaster comment on an advance stat for Lynch, and he was in the top tier in the country. It was something like points above replacement or wins above replacement. Someone here that knows advance stats can comment. Anyway, the impact of losing Lynch was massive and has been understated or not understood by many on this board.

I’m really hoping that Oturu is a quick learner, because we will badly need his rim-protecting skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we recruit 2 of the many transfer or junior college guard possibilities and we stay healthy....we are an NCCA team 100%. If not, we need a new coach. We'd finally have 12 guys to compete and contribute. Talent would not prevent us from being an NCAA team.
But, without the addition of two experienced guards we are too vulnerable and easy to scheme against. And if IW was not available or crumbled we are bottom feeders. It's too risky. Awesome would be great but an experienced ball handler who can defend would ease my mind. 100% that guy is out there.

Regarding Lynch: he could be all world. He could be just as frustrating to watch as he was to certain opponents to play against. Foul troubles made him unavailable quite frequently. Reggie was important, no doubt. But lots and lots of teams win without a rim protector. There are so many ways to win. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/138/p1
Villanova has the #103 and #208 slots in blocked shots. Most teams do it with more than one guy. It's a defensive mentality, if that's what you emphasize. Putting the other team in the bonus early is a quicker way to lose than blocking shots and fouling too often is to winning. Not allowing teams to get to the rim is a better emphasis imo.
If we are healthy, I can't imagine with Matz, Oturu, Curry, a long armed Coffey and Murphy available, that shot blocking will be on the top 10 reasons for our downfall. Transition defense and blow-by layups are correctible. Do that better and the need to block shots is diminished. Challenging and contesting shots on the perimeter...no open shots...top of the charts defending threes is a more valuable emphasis to me.

If we recruit 2 of the many transfer or junior college guard possibilities and we stay healthy....we are an NCCA team 100%. If not, we need a new coach. We'd finally have 12 guys to compete and contribute. Talent would not prevent us from being an NCAA team.
But, without the addition of two experienced guards we are too vulnerable and easy to scheme against. And if IW was not available or crumbled we are bottom feeders. It's too risky. Awesome would be great but an experienced ball handler who can defend would ease my mind. 100% that guy is out there.

Regarding Lynch: he could be all world. He could be just as frustrating to watch as he was to certain opponents to play against. Foul troubles made him unavailable quite frequently. Reggie was important, no doubt. But lots and lots of teams win without a rim protector. There are so many ways to win. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/138/p1
Villanova has the #103 and #208 slots in blocked shots. Most teams do it with more than one guy. It's a defensive mentality, if that's what you emphasize. Putting the other team in the bonus early is a quicker way to lose than blocking shots and fouling too often is to winning. Not allowing teams to get to the rim is a better emphasis imo.
If we are healthy, I can't imagine with Matz, Oturu, Curry, a long armed Coffey and Murphy available, that shot blocking will be on the top 10 reasons for our downfall. Transition defense and blow-by layups are correctible. Do that better and the need to block shots is diminished. Challenging and contesting shots on the perimeter...no open shots...top of the charts defending threes is a more valuable emphasis to me.

There are other ways to win than having an elite rim protector, no doubt.

Care to tell me how we will become one of the best 3P% teams or most efficient offenses in the nation next year? You can absolutely do it, but we don’t really have the ingredients to do so.

It wasn’t “just blocked shots” with Lynch. He allowed guards to gamble and make mistakes. He rebounded well. He made it so teams didn’t bother going into the paint.

You were correct about his foul trouble issues. When he was off the court due to foul trouble 2 years ago there was a clear dropoff in our quality of play. But when he was on the court for 25 minutes or whatever it was, we had a borderline elite defense.

There are other ways to win than having an elite rim protector, no doubt.

Care to tell me how we will become one of the best 3P% teams or most efficient offenses in the nation next year? You can absolutely do it, but we don’t really have the ingredients to do so.

It wasn’t “just blocked shots” with Lynch. He allowed guards to gamble and make mistakes. He rebounded well. He made it so teams didn’t bother going into the paint.

You were correct about his foul trouble issues. When he was off the court due to foul trouble 2 years ago there was a clear dropoff in our quality of play. But when he was on the court for 25 minutes or whatever it was, we had a borderline elite defense.

This 100%. I don’t get it why people keep arguing against this. Lots of blind Gopher Holers. Not as easy as just playing better or different defense without him. For whatever reason, there was a massive drop off when he left the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the best analysis I've seen.

I agree with you overall but... Do we really know if Richard has a style of play? He talked about pressing, being active on defense and running when he arrived...we don't play that way now. He has adapted his style each season to his roster imo. I won't argue a rim protector isn't beneficial to Richard's abilities but like you said I think Lynch's abilities were acquired more by luck than design...big guy, home state kid...not a build the team around our incoming rim protector.
Richard's problem is managing the roster. The choices he makes, the guys not eligible to play...we have too many bad players in 5 years. We don't seem to recruit to strengths....guys who the other teams worry about...leave him he'll kill you from 3, oh my, their number one defender who guards every best player on the other team is amazing, they got that guy who gets to rim at will, can't be stopped, they have a Happ kinda guy at the post every year, etc etc we don't have any defined role guys...trademark guys of a Richard Pitino team.
BUT, Recruit two experienced ball handling capable of contributing 10 ppg eligible to play guards and we have a very nice team next year.
I agree, other than Matthew Hurt... what is the vision?
What really is our style of play? I don't see us like Florida or Louisville athletically...at least not to this point...maybe the freshmen are in that direction.
I want him to succeed but he has me worried.

Major point regarding our style of play, emphasis of play. When Richard acquired Mo Walker...he was forgotten, had no game for Tubby, played a couple minutes a game. Under Richard by necessity he developed Mo into a force at the post position. I haven't felt that comfortable since with the ball going inside. Was it an assistant coach who brought those skills?
Well, now for example we have Jeter as an assistant. His emphasis I'm aware of was low post play. Do we blossom in this area? Does it become a Wisconsin like area of strength? Jeter has the following tape for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6A6veK6GFA It's on developing post payers. Many years ago, I bought this to enhance my education on the subject.

We will eventually hire another assistant who has a sweet spot for something...it'll be a piece of the puzzle to next years team. What we emphasize...what our style of play is. It'll change, again.

We can’t press because we don’t have the depth. We play a somewhat up-tempo offense, aggressive defense. The aggressive defense can use the rim protector.

So we have Marcus Carr on a visit right now and a potential visit from Stull next weekend!

I’m surprised we were able to get a visit from Carr after getting Willis.

Couple questions.

If Carr signs I would guess they view Willis as more 2 guard then point?

And is stull a good enough ball handler to be the primary back up to iw? Or maybe I should say a combination of stull/Dupree/Coffey

Major point regarding our style of play, emphasis of play. When Richard acquired Mo Walker...he was forgotten, had no game for Tubby, played a couple minutes a game. Under Richard by necessity he developed Mo into a force at the post position. I haven't felt that comfortable since with the ball going inside. Was it an assistant coach who brought those skills?
Well, now for example we have Jeter as an assistant. His emphasis I'm aware of was low post play. Do we blossom in this area? Does it become a Wisconsin like area of strength? Jeter has the following tape for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6A6veK6GFA It's on developing post payers. Many years ago, I bought this to enhance my education on the subject.

We will eventually hire another assistant who has a sweet spot for something...it'll be a piece of the puzzle to next years team. What we emphasize...what our style of play is. It'll change, again.

Honestly, the Gophers have done a pretty good job with the bigs since Pitino has gotten here. Just because we had Gaston and Bakary people will write that off, but I really don't think there is a high major team in the country that makes much out of those two.

The Gophers don't even need a center that was at the level of Lynch to be a successful team. The reason why it looked so bad, was the fact that Lynch was 10 levels higher than Bakary. Any center with a some sense of BBIQ would make a world of difference for this team. Oturu has very good instincts when it comes to protecting the rim. I'm sure there will be many games where he gets himself in foul trouble, but having him out on the court will be extremely beneficial for Murph.

Does Carr average sit a year as a transfer?

Does Carr average sit a year as a transfer?

Yep, he'd have to sit one, but will also have 3 years of eligibility left. Not ideal for next season, but he'd be a good get regardless.

So we have Marcus Carr on a visit right now and a potential visit from Stull next weekend!

I’m surprised we were able to get a visit from Carr after getting Willis.

Couple questions.

If Carr signs I would guess they view Willis as more 2 guard then point?

And is stull a good enough ball handler to be the primary back up to iw? Or maybe I should say a combination of stull/Dupree/Coffey

I agree with Ryan James that that trifecta would be pretty good.

Top Bottom