All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Franco Miller Jr. will take an official here on Wednesday and then an official to Oklahoma on Saturday. He took an official to Ole Miss earlier in April according to 247. No official scheduled for Oregon as of yet...have to think that it is either between us or Oklahoma. He has been sitting on that Ole Miss offer for a while and could have commited a long while ago. I think he goes to OU, but think we are very much in the running as well.

And of course Wednesday is the one day this week that is below 60 for a high. Why do we bring these guys in here on bad weather days?

Franco Miller Jr. will take an official here on Wednesday and then an official to Oklahoma on Saturday. He took an official to Ole Miss earlier in April according to 247. No official scheduled for Oregon as of yet...have to think that it is either between us or Oklahoma. He has been sitting on that Ole Miss offer for a while and could have commited a long while ago. I think he goes to OU, but think we are very much in the running as well.

Well, that's good news anyway. At least we're one of the first 3 visits scheduled. They better do it up.

I find it very odd that Franco Miller Jr. tweets he's going to make his choice May 10, but yet has scheduled a visit here on Wednesday. Unless you're coming here to tell the coaches you're committing, why take the visit? It sounds like it will be tough for him to say no to Oklahoma, and he's visiting there Saturday, just a few days before the commitment.

I guess I'm more just puzzled why you would say when you're announcing if it doesn't seem like he knows where he's headed yet.

I find it very odd that Franco Miller Jr. tweets he's going to make his choice May 10, but yet has scheduled a visit here on Wednesday. Unless you're coming here to tell the coaches you're committing, why take the visit? It sounds like it will be tough for him to say no to Oklahoma, and he's visiting there Saturday, just a few days before the commitment.

I guess I'm more just puzzled why you would say when you're announcing if it doesn't seem like he knows where he's headed yet.

Probably because he has narrowed his choices to the schools he will have visited by that date, and wants to end the crazy process quickly. It would actually be nice if more guys would handle it like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it hard to believe that he’d make his decision after visiting/learning about the top 2 schools he’s considering?

And...he may already know where he's going but likes the idea of free travel and free food. :rolleyes:

Well, let's try this by way of analogy.

1) You know you are going to buy a car. You're leaning toward a particular vehicle but you'd like to try two other competitor vehicles. (Miller knows he is going to play college basketball. He may be leaning towards a particular school, but he has offers from a couple of other schools and he wants to make a more informed choice.)

2) You visit three dealers with the three different vehicles on one Saturday and test drive all of them. You tell the salesmen that you will make a decision and buy a car by the following weekend. (Miller takes three campus visits and announces that he will make his decision within about a week and a half.)

3) After the test drives, you spend the week doing more research on the vehicles. (Miller spends another week researching the schools and basketball programs and discussing the matter with significant persons).

4) You make your decision and purchase the car the following weekend as planned. (Miller announces his decision on May 10th).

Hopefully, you now see that there is nothing "puzzling" or "odd" about this behavior

Well, let's try this by way of analogy.

1) You know you are going to buy a car. You're leaning toward a particular vehicle but you'd like to try two other competitor vehicles. (Miller knows he is going to play college basketball. He may be leaning towards a particular school, but he has offers from a couple of other schools and he wants to make a more informed choice.)

2) You visit three dealers with the three different vehicles on one Saturday and test drive all of them. You tell the salesmen that you will make a decision and buy a car by the following weekend. (Miller takes three campus visits and announces that he will make his decision within about a week and a half.)

3) After the test drives, you spend the week doing more research on the vehicles. (Miller spends another week researching the schools and basketball programs and discussing the matter with significant persons).

4) You make your decision and purchase the car the following weekend as planned. (Miller announces his decision on May 10th).

Hopefully, you now see that there is nothing "puzzling" or "odd" about this behavior

5) After about 25,000 Miles (or two seasons) you change your mind and start the process all over again.

6) You want something that suits your lifestyle (Playing time)

7) You can'c compete with your neighbor who has a much better car (a 5* recruit at your same position coming into the program)

8) The car dealership folding and no more warranty (Program gets busted by NCAA) so you get another ride to cover your a$$

Miller won't visit

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well we can cross him off our list.

Really makes you wonder what they're going to do because I doubt Kingsby is coming here. Rob Jeter did an interview and he made it seem like they were going to bring in two more players. 2 more grad transfers? I just don't think you can go into next year with 1 true PG on the roster. I know Coffey and McBrayer can handle the ball, bit I would rather not rely on that.

The starting 5 should be solid, but I am most concerned about the depth behind the starting 5.

Really makes you wonder what they're going to do because I doubt Kingsby is coming here. Rob Jeter did an interview and he made it seem like they were going to bring in two more players. 2 more grad transfers? I just don't think you can go into next year with 1 true PG on the roster. I know Coffey and McBrayer can handle the ball, bit I would rather not rely on that.

The starting 5 should be solid, but I am most concerned about the depth behind the starting 5.

Kingsby supposedly wanted/wants to come here. Not sure if we were maybe holding out for Miller or someone else. I hope Kingsby is still an option for us.

well that stinks. I figured we had a pretty good shot at Miller. But the wording makes it seem like it wont be rescheduled. will be interesting to see who is brought in

Kingsby & Stull best case at this point?

Looks like we are becoming runner ups on every decent recruit ...

This is such a weird recruiting period. Hoping for the best.

Hopefully it was Richard's decision and not his.

Part of me is thinking it was a decision in our end. Our recruiting tactics seemed to have changed over the last few days with Jeter on staff...we have offered a ton of Midwest kids including Pgs in WI and MI.

My thoughts are that the staff may feel they can land a better PG next year like a Tyrell Terry, that would be tough to land another freshman PG if we landed Miller. Honestly, I'd be okay with Miller, but there is a reason he is still available. I think an average grad transfer at PG would have the same if not better impact for next season.

Like I said earlier, I thought OU was the favorite for Miller but I could also see Pitino and staff deciding to pass on him. The best option now is to not tie up future roster spots with reach players. Go get two grad transfers and focus on landing Terry or Carton .

Part of me is thinking it was a decision in our end. Our recruiting tactics seemed to have changed over the last few days with Jeter on staff...we have offered a ton of Midwest kids including Pgs in WI and MI.

My thoughts are that the staff may feel they can land a better PG next year like a Tyrell Terry, that would be tough to land another freshman PG if we landed Miller. Honestly, I'd be okay with Miller, but there is a reason he is still available. I think an average grad transfer at PG would have the same if not better impact for next season.

Like I said earlier, I thought OU was the favorite for Miller but I could also see Pitino and staff deciding to pass on him. The best option now is to not tie up future roster spots with reach players. Go get two grad transfers and focus on landing Terry or Carton .

I think you are correct here- this makes good sense.

Here’s to hoping for some good recruiting news soon. This has been a tough stretch watching us miss on point guard after point guard after point guard prospect.

Frankly it puzzles me. Everyone points to the presence of IW intimidating everyone. That doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. How many teams with which we are competing have zero quality point guards on their roster? Probably none. We have a lot of minutes to offer someone immediately, new shiny facilities, and potentially a pretty good team in a high-profile conference. I think this is a pretty nice place to live and go to school. There must be a lot of negative recruiting against us to turn every one of these guys against us.

Here’s to hoping for some good recruiting news soon. This has been a tough stretch watching us miss on point guard after point guard after point guard prospect.

Frankly it puzzles me. Everyone points to the presence of IW intimidating everyone. That doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. How many teams with which we are competing have zero quality point guards on their roster? Probably none. We have a lot of minutes to offer someone immediately, new shiny facilities, and potentially a pretty good team in a high-profile conference. I think this is a pretty nice place to live and go to school. There must be a lot of negative recruiting against us to turn every one of these guys against us.

That's the thing, we don't. IW is an underclassmen who will presumably be the starter until he graduates, so of the point guards we have/had a realistic shot at, they would be coming in with the assumption that they won't be the starter for a while and may only get roughly 10 minutes per game next season.

5) After about 25,000 Miles (or two seasons) you change your mind and start the process all over again.

6) You want something that suits your lifestyle (Playing time)

7) You can'c compete with your neighbor who has a much better car (a 5* recruit at your same position coming into the program)

8) The car dealership folding and no more warranty (Program gets busted by NCAA) so you get another ride to cover your a$$

Yes, that's a good analogy as well!

I feel exactly the same way. I don't think any of this is good news but the pollyannas will spin every negative like it's a strength of ours or a bad thing about the other. Kind of like the guy who get's rejected by a girl and concludes "I guess I'm just too much of a man for her" or "She's obviously a lesbian."

Not puzzling to me as every school has something to sell. The IW thing is a myth, great players are not afraid to come in and take his job. That is what Carton would do in 19 of he would come here. they will get someone soon, hopefully Stull

I’m also hoping for Stull, but I don’t believe he is the backup primary ball-handler we need. We need that guy in addition to Stull. It is the PG position we have made the greatest attempt to fill and keep missing on guys (over a very long period of time). Time for some good news...

That's the thing, we don't. IW is an underclassmen who will presumably be the starter until he graduates, so of the point guards we have/had a realistic shot at, they would be coming in with the assumption that they won't be the starter for a while and may only get roughly 10 minutes per game next season.

Yes, the gophers have to recruit worse players so they can get some better players. Obviously joking. The staff needs to figure when to take risks and when to play it safe to ensure adequate depth, otherwise MN will be consistently a pulled muscle away from disaster.

The gophers have a realistic shot at who they position themselves to have a realistic shot at, good programs are built and builders build.

There is an excuse for every failure. Sometimes it is more productive to look inward otherwise it is tough to overcome anything as there are so many excuses to choose from.

Thanks Confucius

LOL. We could use Confucius around here. This is the only D1 program in the state and we are struggling with depth issues. Iowa has 4 D1 schools for goodness sake. Imagine the excuses they have, lol. Recruit some winners who want a challenge, want to be attributed with being an inflection point and not kids who want the easiest path...let them go to Duke and NC. Confucius would tell you it is possible.

Top Bottom