All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Impressive offer list

Just picked up a Kansas offer today.

Also Brady Heiman, a 2018 big man prospect from Nebraska that we've kept our eye on but haven't offered, got an offer from the Huskers today.

Not exactly Gopher recruiting but Joseph Hedstrom of Hopkins was offered by Wisconsin, find this pretty shocking as I don't think he is anywhere near Major conference player at all from what I have seen from him.

Not exactly Gopher recruiting but Joseph Hedstrom of Hopkins was offered by Wisconsin, find this pretty shocking as I don't think he is anywhere near Major conference player at all from what I have seen from him.

I have seen multiple reports that Pitino has been watching Hedstrom - have not seen anything about Pitino offering at this point.

They offered him as a PWO for Year 1, which is hedging their bets a bit and shows their enthusiasm for him is tempered.

They offered him as a PWO for Year 1, which is hedging their bets a bit and shows their enthusiasm for him is tempered.

Could be good fit. Sconi has had some good luck with Walk Ons, Ok I can think of like 2, but that's still pretty good

Believe the assistant who recruits Minnesota for Wisconsin had a pretty good walk on career there. Showalter was a walk on. They have another good one in Walt McGrory as well

We're in Marcus Zegarowski's final four along with Creighton, Ohio State, and Washington.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Believe the assistant who recruits Minnesota for Wisconsin had a pretty good walk on career there.

UW has had some pretty solid walk-ons over the years, but the assistant is not a former walk-on. Joe Krabbenhoft currently recruits Minnesota for the UW staff.

Regarding Hedstrom, I believe the UW staff is essentially looking at him as a member of the 2019 class, which is why he would be a walk-on in his first year. Nate Reuvers was the only frontcourt player added in the 2017 class, the top 2018 target is a slender combo forward, and the top 2019 target is a slender PF, so I think they are looking at add a more traditional, physical frontcourt guy to go with the more skilled, finesse guys they have/are pursuing.

We're in Marcus Zegarowski's final four along with Creighton, Ohio State, and Washington.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

His brother is Michael Carter-Williams with the bobcats.....

His brother is Michael Carter-Williams with the bobcats.....

Thoughts on Zegarowski? Sounds like good bloodlines and his offer list is a bit more impressive than Brendan Adams (who is 6-4 and just put us in his final 9). Adams is rated a bit higher 3-star on 247 composite and is obviously 3 inches taller.

Thoughts on Zegarowski? Sounds like good bloodlines and his offer list is a bit more impressive than Brendan Adams (who is 6-4 and just put us in his final 9). Adams is rated a bit higher 3-star on 247 composite and is obviously 3 inches taller.
Gophers really want either Hunter or Zegarowski for there last spot. Adams was a backup option to Gabe and the Gophers aren't on him anymore.

Gophers really want either Hunter or Zegarowski for there last spot. Adams was a backup option to Gabe and the Gophers aren't on him anymore.

Thanks. Are we considering Talen Horton-Tucker out of reach with the KU offer? I know he is a wing, but seems very highly regarded

Thanks. Are we considering Talen Horton-Tucker out of reach with the KU offer? I know he is a wing, but seems very highly regarded
Seems like that was an offer because he was just that talented but I'm not sure we have a realistic shot with him. Sounds like most think he will end up at Michigan State and have for a while so we will see. Unless he schedules a visit here early this fall I don't think there is a lot there with him.

MSU may have slow played Horton-Tucker too much. The local schools are still big favorites, but he may still be a long ways from a decision. So who knows maybe we get in there some how.

So Rivals had a free interview with Zegarowski after he announced his final four. The biggest headline was that he doesn't think he will take his official visits and is planning on an early September decision.

On Creighton: School that is recruiting him the hardest and he's also taken an unofficial visit there. Close with one of their assistant coaches Preston Murphy.

On Ohio State: Staff has been recruiting him since they were at Butler and an opportunity to come in and play PG right away.

On Washington: Coach Hopkins recruited his brother and another school where Marcus has taken an official visit.

On Minnesota: His first big offer, his family has known Kimani Young for a long time and he like that we made the tournament last year (apparently thinks we've made it a couple years in a row, but who wants to correct him?)

Interviewer thinks it's likely Creighton for Zegarowski with Washington having the next best shot. Since he's not taking officials and there's no sense he's been on the Minnesota campus it's hard to think we have a great shot here. He does seem like kind of an odd fit with Gabe and Jamar already on the team, but he's also one of the more highly recruited kids we are still in on.

As for Hedstrom, on the Talk Gopher Buckets podcast that occurred post Peach Jam, Ryan James mentioned that a lack of potential centers in the 2019 class in the MidWest is a factor in his recruitment. James believes that the Gophers need a bigger option than Oturu against some teams and there just aren't a lot of options this year or next. Personally, I think you are always better off just putting more talent on the floor than having a true C on the floor just to have one. There are teams that advance in March every year that play a Curry or Murphy type at the 5 for extended minutes.

I feel like I am in the minority on this, but the Gophers really need to add a well regarded talent with their remaining scholarship just to keep pace in the conference. A hypothetical Hedstrom or Anthony Nelson type commitment probably has the Gophers in the bottom 1/3 of the conference recruiting rankings when everything is wrapped up and definitely would have them near the bottom in terms of average rating. Obviously some kids over perform or under perform their rankings, but my point is more that the conference as a whole is recruiting well.

As for Hedstrom, on the Talk Gopher Buckets podcast that occurred post Peach Jam, Ryan James mentioned that a lack of potential centers in the 2019 class in the MidWest is a factor in his recruitment. James believes that the Gophers need a bigger option than Oturu against some teams and there just aren't a lot of options this year or next. Personally, I think you are always better off just putting more talent on the floor than having a true C on the floor just to have one. There are teams that advance in March every year that play a Curry or Murphy type at the 5 for extended minutes.

I think the funny parts about those comments is
1. This staff hasn't really recruited other areas of the Midwest outside of Minnesota during their tenure. It's not like having to go outside the region is some ridiculous task for this staff
2. Bigger centers than Oturu: he does realize Daniel is going to be a traditional big in the low post and that he's going to be 240-250 (maybe even more in about 2-3 years)? I'm curious why he thinks we need some 270 pound center when they most likely will have the same skillset.

Not ripping on you, just don't get his logic

I think the funny parts about those comments is
1. This staff hasn't really recruited other areas of the Midwest outside of Minnesota during their tenure. It's not like having to go outside the region is some ridiculous task for this staff
2. Bigger centers than Oturu: he does realize Daniel is going to be a traditional big in the low post and that he's going to be 240-250 (maybe even more in about 2-3 years)? I'm curious why he thinks we need some 270 pound center when they most likely will have the same skillset.

Not ripping on you, just don't get his logic

I think I remember Ryan saying that Daniel needed to add core strength and is only about 6'9 while Joe is 6'10 and is already a physical player. It's been awhile since I listened to the podcast, so I should caution that I might not have remembered everything accurately.

In '19 it will be Oturu as the only true center. James is simply saying they will need to find a big guy to fill minutes by then and Hedstrom might be the right fit. Can redshirt him in '18 with Matz here and have him ready to roll for '19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can redshirt him in '18 with Matz here and have him ready to roll for '19.

Personally I would rather have the starting center have a year under his belt, even if it is just for 8-10mpg than a red-shirt with no game experience. Not a huge fan of red-shirts.

Agree but where will minutes come from? Matz and Oturu will play center mostly with Curry and Murphy at PF. I'm fine not redshirting him...point was more that we will need another big in '19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I remember Ryan saying that Daniel needed to add core strength and is only about 6'9 while Joe is 6'10 and is already a physical player. It's been awhile since I listened to the podcast, so I should caution that I might not have remembered everything accurately.

But Hedstrom is soft. He misses so many layups at 6'10

Personally I would rather have the starting center have a year under his belt, even if it is just for 8-10mpg than a red-shirt with no game experience. Not a huge fan of red-shirts.

I doubt Hedstrom will start within the next 2 years. He's being offered as a PWO for a reason

per Marcus: Who is the final piece for Richard Pitino's 2018 recruiting class?

The possibility of five-star Apple Valley point guard Tre Jones joining his Howard Pulley AAU teammates in maroon and gold seems unlikely. Duke’s prestige, family connection with Jones’ brother, Tyus, is strong, but he hasn't made an announcement.

Even if they don't get Jones, the Gophers are heavily targeting several backcourt options, most notably Tindley School (Ind.) four-star senior Eric Hunter Jr. and Tilton School (Mass.) three-star senior Marcus Zegarowski, who recently cut his list to four schools.

Zegarowski, a 6-foot-2 shooter and floor general, narrowed his decision down to Creighton, Minnesota, Ohio State and Washington, according to his Tweet on Monday.

The younger brother of NBA guard Michael Carter-Williams told Rivals.com Tuesday that he wanted to make his announcement on a final school in early September. So far, Zegarowski hasn’t visited Minnesota, but he remains high on the program.

“They are coming up right now, and Pitino is a really good coach,” he told Scout.com’s Brian Snow on Wednesday. “Also (assistant coach) Kimani Young knows my dad really well, and they were the first high-major program to offer me.”

http://www.startribune.com/who-is-t...ard-pitino-s-2018-recruiting-class/439466843/

Go Gophers!!

I'd LOVE Hedstrom as a PWO. I do not want him to get a scholarship because I don't think he is going to help at all as a freshman or sophomore.

Top Bottom