All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

According to Ryan James, Franco Miller has received an offer for Oregon as well

Year 1 was not an over-perform. Not saying it was under-perform, but when you return your top 2 scorers and go from Round of 32 to no NCAA tournament I don't understand how one can see that as a positive. (Proceed with the excuses...)

No excuses facts... he was left with two nice pieces in the Hollins. They were leading scorers by fractions. Rodney Williams, Trevor Mbakwe, Joe Coleman were pretty darn big pieces missing. They were our 3 leading rebounders and averaged fractions less in points but shot 6%,7% and Mbakwe 16 percentage points higher than the Hollins. He did have two guys to build with but zero recruits and Mav was the next best player coming back with 3 ppg in 10 min per game...EE 2ppg in 13 min, Mo 2 ppg in 6min, Oto 9min and 2ppg....good luck with that for a core for a Big Ten team.

Pitino was a miracle worker he had nothing but the Hollins. Mo was a forgotten man and became dependable under Pitino...from no where...nobody saw that coming. Without his April/May recruits we beat nobody. With them we absolutely over achieved.

AND.... Hollins blew out his ankle and was never the same player he once was. He was not able to do the same things he could when he was the leading scorer and healthy.

I suppose you could call Year 1 an over-performance. I certainly enjoyed the post-season ride. But, he inherited veteran parts (he deserves credit for adding DeAndre and forcing Walker into playing shape). I would call Year 1 neither an over nor an under. Remember that they still finished only 8-10 in the conference.

Tubby smith finished with what conference record the year before?

Year 1 was disappointing but in retrospect they might have finished exactly where they should have. They lost Williams, Mbakwe, and Coleman and matched the previous year’s conference record.

No excuses facts... he was left with two nice pieces in the Hollins. They were leading scorers by fractions. Rodney Williams, Trevor Mbakwe, Joe Coleman were pretty darn big pieces missing. They were our 3 leading rebounders and averaged fractions less in points but shot 6%,7% and Mbakwe 16 percentage points higher than the Hollins. He did have two guys to build with but zero recruits and Mav was the next best player coming back with 3 ppg in 10 min per game...EE 2ppg in 13 min, Mo 2 ppg in 6min, Oto 9min and 2ppg....good luck with that for a core for a Big Ten team.

Pitino was a miracle worker he had nothing but the Hollins. Mo was a forgotten man and became dependable under Pitino...from no where...nobody saw that coming. Without his April/May recruits we beat nobody. With them we absolutely over achieved.

AND.... Hollins blew out his ankle and was never the same player he once was. He was not able to do the same things he could when he was the leading scorer and healthy.

I never said that we didn't lose some nice players. Pretty much every team does from one year to the next. I didn't say I expected another round of 32 appearace, but we finished pretty much right where I would have expected in conference play and then made the NIT. The NIT run was nice, but that isn't going to move the needle much for me.

Andre Hollins scored 14.6 ppg in 2012-13. The next leading scorer that did not have the last name Hollins was Rodney Williams at 10.1 ppg. According to my elementary school math that's a lot more than fractions.

If you thought Mo came out of nowhere then you must not have been watching him when he was able to play his freshman year. He did really well, albeit in limited minutes. He just couldn't stay healthy before that. Tough to stay in shape when you spend so much time on crutches.

Miracle worker? Haha. Not even making the NCAA tournament and a losing record in conference play makes a guy a miracle worker? Geez, I knew my fellow Gopher fans had low expectations, but I didn't know it had gotten this bad.

Recruiting news only please!!!! debate seasons elsewhere

Pretty much this right now. If you want to debate whether or not Pitino over/underachieved in a certain year, start a new thread about it.

Anyone have any an idea regarding a timeline for Kingsby to make a decision? I thought we would hear about how his visit went or a timeline for a decision, but I haven't read anything.

I also wonder if they're planning on bringing in Franco Miller for a visit, but there hasn't been any steam there either.

Pretty much this right now. If you want to debate whether or not Pitino over/underachieved in a certain year, start a new thread about it.

Anyone have any an idea regarding a timeline for Kingsby to make a decision? I thought we would hear about how his visit went or a timeline for a decision, but I haven't read anything.

I also wonder if they're planning on bringing in Franco Miller for a visit, but there hasn't been any steam there either.

Between more general tweets about loving God and working hard, Kingsby has retweeted Marcus and Ryan James talking about his Minnesota visit and recruitment, no other teams mentioned. His 247 profile lists Minnesota and Pitt as his only offers, and Pitt is the school he received his release from about a month ago when their coach was fired. Minnesota is listed as “warmer” and everyone else is “cool.” It almost seems like we don’t have any competition for him, which would be odd considering he seems like at least a decent player and was committed to another high major at one point.

Between more general tweets about loving God and working hard, Kingsby has retweeted Marcus and Ryan James talking about his Minnesota visit and recruitment, no other teams mentioned. His 247 profile lists Minnesota and Pitt as his only offers, and Pitt is the school he received his release from about a month ago when their coach was fired. Minnesota is listed as “warmer” and everyone else is “cool.” It almost seems like we don’t have any competition for him, which would be odd considering he seems like at least a decent player and was committed to another high major at one point.

I guess it's the fact that if there's no other competition, assuming the staff would take his commitment, then why hasn't he committed?

It does seem odd that no one else is recruiting him, but Ryan James brought up an interesting point in that you can get the top JUCO talent without a lot of competition for them because of grad transfers. Now you can get experienced D1 players for either 1 or, in some cases, 2 years because they finished their bachelors degree instead of taking the risk on a JUCO player. There's risk with grad transfers too, but you can get a known D1 commodity now instead of a JUCO player.

Tubby smith finished with what conference record the year before?

Year 1 was disappointing but in retrospect they might have finished exactly where they should have. They lost Williams, Mbakwe, and Coleman and matched the previous year’s conference record.

Yes, and I would call Tubby's final year a major underperformance (despite making the tournament and winning a game). The team started 15-1. That's why I wasn't that sorry he was fired.

I didn't call Year 1 disappointing. I called the performance about right. But, those who are saying that the cupboard was bare in Pitino's first year are wrong. As I've said before, he deserved credit for getting DeAndre to come here and to get Mo Walker in playing shape, but he inherited a pretty decent core. Andre Hollins was the leading scorer from the year before and Austin was a wonderful all around player. Walker was a fairly formidable load once he got into playing shape. Even Elliot, often maligned on this board, was a very solid defensive center in Pitino's first year.

The other advantage Pitino had in his first year was a relatively "old" team. Austin, Malik Smith (who I believed turned 23 during the season), and Mav were all in their final year of eligibility. Walker, Eliason, and Otto were 4th year juniors. Mathieu and Andre Hollins were true juniors. So, there's 8 players there who were about 3 years or more removed from high school and combined for a lot of physical maturity.

Stull would be a solid shooting guard:

The 6-foot-4 Stull, the 6-2 Bell and the 6-7 Nze all said they want to try and play at the high-major level. Each player confirmed that the only condition placed on their release was that they're not allowed to transfer to another Horizon League school.

Stull, of Rockford, Ill., will be eligible to play immediately at his next destination because he’s graduating this semester with a degree in criminal justice and spent four years in the program after redshirting as a freshman. He developed into UWM's most well-rounded player, averaging 13.4 points, 4.8 points and 3.1 assists this past season.

UWM-Milwaukee's Brock Stull.

“That’s pretty much been the main thing,” Stull said. “You work this hard to get to where you want to be. I was hesitating on what I wanted to do. But the opportunity’s there to move up a level. I think that’s the final goal.”

I would be extremely excited about adding Stull. He's a big, strong kid for a 2-guard and can shoot it. He would immediately add a dimension that we don't have. I love McBrayer and Stull manning the 2 for us next year. They can also play together at times and gives us shooting/scoring at multiple positions.

But don't we really need a player that can play next year....Kingsby would need to sit....right?

he is retweeting Minnesota tweets, but his twitter page is still all Pitt and still says he's a Pitt commit.

If he has committed to Minnesota, would we even know if he doesn't tweet or talk about it? until he signs minnesota couldn't make any comments, right?

regarding needing someone who can score: a 42" vertical and shoots 41% from 3.

he is retweeting Minnesota tweets, but his twitter page is still all Pitt and still says he's a Pitt commit.

If he has committed to Minnesota, would we even know if he doesn't tweet or talk about it? until he signs minnesota couldn't make any comments, right?

The team wouldn't be able to say anything publicly, but Kingsby would almost certainly tweet about the commitment if he made one. Someone in the media would likely hear about it even if he didn't tweet it.

He WAS a Pitt commit. He asked for his release from that commitment. I don't think he is going to re-commit to Pitt. Probably he just didn't have time to change his page.

Is it just me or is it getting pretty late in the year to still have two unused scholarships? I know we have some offers out and all but it feels like a slow spring for committments.

Is it just me or is it getting pretty late in the year to still have two unused scholarships? I know we have some offers out and all but it feels like a slow spring for committments.

Looking back a little bit, Springs and Stockman committed in mid April of 2016 and 2017 respectively, so going by that we’re a little behind schedule, but we had 3 scholarships to fill instead of just one or two, and I’m sure the turnover of assistants has had at least some impact. The assistant openings mean more work for Pitino and less time available for recruiting due to a short-handed staff.

Looking back a little bit, Springs and Stockman committed in mid April of 2016 and 2017 respectively, so going by that we’re a little behind schedule, but we had 3 scholarships to fill instead of just one or two, and I’m sure the turnover of assistants has had at least some impact. The assistant openings mean more work for Pitino and less time available for recruiting due to a short-handed staff.

I also seem to recall about 750 transfers listed on Verbal Commits last year. So far, the site is running about 200 + behind that number and new ones are trickling in very slowly. Maybe it's more competitive this year.

Impatiently waiting to hear Kingsby, Stull, or some other unknown guard who has averaged 10 plus points somewhere at some college is now a Gopher.

Ha...so I can wait for the next one because we need two.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lot's of interest for Stull. Hopefully the Jeter connection pays off.

In the final 4 for Franco Miller.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He also said in the replies that he'll announce his decision on May 10th.

I'd feel a lot better about our chances if I didn't see Oklahoma in there. He has a connection to fellow countryman, NBA player, and OU alum Buddy Hield who has been advocating OU as a location for him. Tre Young departed for the NBA and it looks like the primary competition at PG there this season may be grad transfers.

I'd feel a lot better about our chances if I didn't see Oklahoma in there. He has a connection to fellow countryman, NBA player, and OU alum Buddy Hield who has been advocating OU as a location for him. Tre Young departed for the NBA and it looks like the primary competition at PG there this season may be grad transfers.

Agreed, I'd put my money on OU as of now.

Along that lines: I know it was a long time ago, but Mychal Thompson has got to be a legend to all B.B. players growing up in Bahamas. They all know that he played for the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Along that lines: I know it was a long time ago, but Mychal Thompson has got to be a legend to all B.B. players growing up in Bahamas. They all know that he played for the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see any indication that Minnesota ever offered a scholarship to his son, Klay. How could that have happened? One of the best players in the U's history has a son who turned out to be one of the top 10 players in his class and he wasn't offered. Furthermore, going in the summer before his senior season, he wasn't among the top 100 in the RSCI composite rankings (he was #58 after his senior season) so he wasn't getting bombarded with high level offers and ended up playing at Washington State. Just another example of how these rankings fail to capture a lot of information.

I don't see any indication that Minnesota ever offered a scholarship to his son, Klay. How could that have happened? One of the best players in the U's history has a son who turned out to be one of the top 10 players in his class and he wasn't offered. Furthermore, going in the summer before his senior season, he wasn't among the top 100 in the RSCI composite rankings (he was #58 after his senior season) so he wasn't getting bombarded with high level offers and ended up playing at Washington State. Just another example of how these rankings fail to capture a lot of information.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...y-Williams-Klay-Thompson-would-ve-been-a-Goph

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?11937-Klay-Thompson

Couple old Gopherhole threads mentioning there was interest in Klay Thompson if not necessarily an offer. He was also in the class of 2008, which meant Tubby would have only had a few months to recruit him after getting hired at Minnesota.

Top Bottom