All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

So now whose are guy? Do we go point guard or big? Obviously best talent first though

So now whose are guy? Do we go point guard or big? Obviously best talent first though

There are some immediately eligible grad transfers who, according to Verbal Commits, are still uncommitted. Pitino should hustle, find someone to plug a potential hole, and not be too picky about what he gets at this point. I'm assuming he made some contacts with players other than Geno Crandall. If not, that would be really negligent. Even if Crandall didn't commit to Gonzaga, he would still be less than certain to be eligible in the fall semester because of the academic situation.

10 Players on scholarship that will actually play minutes isn't a short bench at all.

Throwing RP under the bus before he even coaches a game in 2018/19 is insane.

some of you guys make me laugh.

Gophers finish top half in the B10.

10 Players on scholarship that will actually play minutes isn't a short bench at all.

Unless, of course, two of those players are injured (or transferred or suspended or whatever) and two more end up kind of sucking. Of course, that kind of thing could never happen here, no way.

Vandy Center Djery Baptiste who has immediate eligibility is still available according to verbal commits. 6-10, 235 and was compared to Dwight Howard out of HS due to his build. Averaged 3.4 PPG, 3.6 RPG and 0.9 BPG in 15 MPG. Decent per 40 numbers for a backup center.

Unless, of course, two of those players are injured (or transferred or suspended or whatever) and two more end up kind of sucking. Of course, that kind of thing could never happen here, no way.

and those things can be seen by all that have ESP...….. but we should all focus on the Negative.

Vandy Center Djery Baptiste who has immediate eligibility is still available according to verbal commits. 6-10, 235 and was compared to Dwight Howard out of HS due to his build. Averaged 3.4 PPG, 3.6 RPG and 0.9 BPG in 15 MPG. Decent per 40 numbers for a backup center.

Yes, that would be a pretty good get although I would say those comparisons to Dwight Howard were premature. His actual performance to date is more comparable to Bakary Konate but I would take that at this point. Tough to say whether they should go big or small at this point though.

They can but there's no margin for error. Ultimately what cost Tubby was the February meltdowns, too the point where winning in March didn't matter. I like Pitino, my biggest fear is he will flame out hear, go to a mid major, learn from his mistakes and become a great coach in ten years when he gets a second chance because he's so young. However, roster mishandlings and putting yourself in these spots to have bad luck to you are on him. It's insane to stay on a path that's not working and when the same thing happens over and over it's time for a change. Stay hethy, we win, if not, Coyle probably dialing a number with a Reno area code and going from there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This would be a big one.

Longwood PG Michael Green would have immediate eligibility and two years left. Averaged 10.4 PPG last year. Would be just what we need. Wonder if he has any attached baggage to him as those are decent numbers yet he is still uncommitted.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3912826/mike-green

Also Fordham PG transfer Perris Hicks would have immediate eligibility too. Averaged over 7 PPG last year.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066860/perris-hicks

and those things can be seen by all that have ESP...….. but we should all focus on the Negative.

What you call negative is actually "quite possible" given that we have had short rosters in each of the past three seasons. Two of those resulted in disastrous seasons and the third resulted in shutting us down in the postseason after a fine year.

Green would balance the roster out. Would like to have one more scholly for 2020

Yes, that would be a pretty good get although I would say those comparisons to Dwight Howard were premature. His actual performance to date is more comparable to Bakary Konate but I would take that at this point. Tough to say whether they should go big or small at this point though.
Guess it comes down too how good you feel about McBrayer or Coffey handling the ball. If he hands stone hands than no thanks

Looks like he graduates in December, so he would only be eligible to play for the second Semester. If he was a really good player, it would be worth a shot, but I wouldn't take him for only one semester.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Looks like he graduates in December, so he would only be eligible to play for the second Semester. If he was a really good player, it would be worth a shot, but I wouldn't take him for only one semester.

Good to know thanks.

There were also a few uncommitted PG's on Verbal commits with immediate eligibility but they averaged less then a point a game.

Again, Hicks and Green do seem like nice options at this point but I haven't done much research on them and don't know if there are any caveats with them such as being eligible only for a semester like Baptiste or anything else. They are listed as immediately eligibility but I don't think they are graduate transfers.

Well, if there is no better alternative at this point, I would still do it. The schedule after the close of the fall semester is tougher and the potential for attrition increases as the season progresses.

There were also a few uncommitted PG's on Verbal commits with immediate eligibility but they averaged less then a point a game.

Again, Hicks and Green do seem like nice options at this point but I haven't done much research on them and don't know if there are any caveats with them such as being eligible only for a semester like Baptiste or anything else. They are listed as immediately eligibility but I don't think they are graduate transfers.

There's also a point from Madison who played previously for East Tennessee State and Alabama A&M (I think his name is Warren). His numbers really aren't too bad for a reserve.

That assumes that Kalscheur and Omersa contribute from day 1 and no injuries, big assumptions. Could finish in the top half of big ten if everything goes right, a couple of things go the other way and you have another train wreck, almost no room for error.

Agree! Most teams play this way, it was just disappointing that we were going to have the depth of a big time team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with this. It is hard to even manage playing time for 10 active players without having a few griping about not getting enough time. Pitino has vastly improved the situation in the past couple of years (not defending him but saying we are deeper)...we have better starters but the biggest change is our depth...we have some where before we had none and a few years ago we didn't even have a good starting 5. In Pitino's tenure the problem has been an absence of those bread and butter players who aren't stars but who can give you good minutes off the bench. We had too many players who should have been coming off the bench starting and too many players who shouldn't have been playing in the Big Ten playing minutes off the bench. I'm excited for this group this year.

One of the things RP has is a large number of players who can play multiple positions. When we gripe about depth at a position, we forget that nearly all these guys are capable of playing 2 positions and players like Coffey can play 3. That creates depth where on a graph of position it may not look like we have as much.

Plenty of talent to win. Time to just do it. Tournament bids aren’t earned in July recruiting battles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you really throw a coach under the bus going into their 6th year? Doubt it.

This is a bottom half of the B1G team and if they don’t at least get a NIT bid and that might not even be enough Coyle will be hiring a new basketball coach.

One of the things RP has is a large number of players who can play multiple positions. When we gripe about depth at a position, we forget that nearly all these guys are capable of playing 2 positions and players like Coffey can play 3. That creates depth where on a graph of position it may not look like we have as much.

Correct. It took him several years to work out his earlier recruiting mistakes. He likes players with versatility that can shift playing styles during the game. I suspect that his teams will have an abundance of talent form here on out. The cure crop of MN Star players will be successful and that will do the most to close the borders. The U will be the place to play and we will be a perennial B1G contender. The new MSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to break it to you but the U will not be MSU under Pitino. I really wish we are but Izzy flat out coaches him

No joke I’d take a d2 transfer right now if he’s an all-American point guard with only 1 year left. Those transfers of 10 and 7 points a game played on garbage teams. Heck d2 teams could beat them

Top Bottom