All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

While the enthusiasm for Bandoo as understandably been largely based on the fact he scores a lot of points and could likely be the best 3 point shooter on the team the second he steps on campus, he also averaged nearly 6 rebounds a game, which could potentially make him the best rebounding guard on the team as well.

For me, I like that he was offered by Bob Huggins, Buzz Williams, and Frank Martin. Those are 3 good/tough coaches who consistently put teams together that play hard. With his 3 point shooting, it's a little concerning to me that he made a huge jump from his Freshman to Sophomore years as he went from 31.5% from 3 to 43.8%. That's just a minor concern though because he took a number of 3's (productive over a relatively large sample size) and also improved his free throw percentage by about 20 points.

For me, I like that he was offered by Bob Huggins, Buzz Williams, and Frank Martin. Those are 3 good/tough coaches who consistently put teams together that play hard. With his 3 point shooting, it's a little concerning to me that he made a huge jump from his Freshman to Sophomore years as he went from 31.5% from 3 to 43.8%. That's just a minor concern though because he took a number of 3's (productive over a relatively large sample size) and also improved his free throw percentage by about 20 points.

Freshman to sophomore year is a huge jump in terms of shooting, typically. We saw that with Dupree and we’ll probably see it with Isaiah too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freshman to sophomore year is a huge jump in terms of shooting, typically. We saw that with Dupree and we’ll probably see it with Isaiah too.

That’s what I’m really hoping to see with Isaiah. When he had a good shooting game or two last year, it seemed to really boost his morale and he just fed off that feeling and played better in other areas. I’m just hoping his poor shooting was mostly nerves and he’ll be able to settle in more this year.

STrib: Kansas junior college guard Devonte Bandoo announces Monday; Gophers the favorite?

Could the Gophers finally be done with their recruiting for the 2018 class? The official announcement for Hutchinson Community College (Kan.) guard Devonte Bandoo will be 2 p.m. Monday.

Bandoo, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound Toronto native, took an official visit to the Gophers over the weekend. His final schools are Minnesota, South Carolina, Kansas State and Baylor.

"He loves basketball; he's a gym rat," Hutchinson Community College coach Steve Eck said. "He's a high-quality person and really cares about academics. He sprained his wrist early (this season), but he came back and shot 58 percent (from three-point range) after Christmas. And he's pretty athletic as far as jumping and everything else goes."

Gophers coach Richard Pitino appears to be the favorite to land Bandoo, according to 247Sports.com site GopherIllustrated. Bandoo had high praise for the the U’s facilities and Pitino after his recent visit, per the local Rivals.com site.

http://www.startribune.com/kansas-j...ounces-monday-gophers-the-favorite/482550221/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Kansas junior college guard Devonte Bandoo announces Monday; Gophers the favorite?

Could the Gophers finally be done with their recruiting for the 2018 class? The official announcement for Hutchinson Community College (Kan.) guard Devonte Bandoo will be 2 p.m. Monday.

Bandoo, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound Toronto native, took an official visit to the Gophers over the weekend. His final schools are Minnesota, South Carolina, Kansas State and Baylor.

"He loves basketball; he's a gym rat," Hutchinson Community College coach Steve Eck said. "He's a high-quality person and really cares about academics. He sprained his wrist early (this season), but he came back and shot 58 percent (from three-point range) after Christmas. And he's pretty athletic as far as jumping and everything else goes."

Gophers coach Richard Pitino appears to be the favorite to land Bandoo, according to 247Sports.com site GopherIllustrated. Bandoo had high praise for the the U’s facilities and Pitino after his recent visit, per the local Rivals.com site.

http://www.startribune.com/kansas-j...ounces-monday-gophers-the-favorite/482550221/

Go Gophers!!

gi is wrong, kid is going to baylor.

If the rumor is true we canceled Stull's visit because of feeling good on Bandoo, good luck getting him here now.

I thought the rumor was that they simply moved his visit back a week because of Devonte. We'll see what happens, but that would quite the mistake to cancel a visit because of you have a "good feeling" regarding another.

As I understand it, our main remaining options would be Stull or Kingsby. Not really sure how to gauge our chances with either. Seems like Kingsby is the safety net at this point. Suppose we could also hold the scholarship for the next cycle. Am I missing anyone?

Really hoping for Stull.

1c466b442d4ae88013ce98a4a8a13e06.jpg

I thought the rumor was that they simply moved his visit back a week because of Devonte. We'll see what happens, but that would quite the mistake to cancel a visit because of you have a "good feeling" regarding another.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Grim news. Who fed the bad data to to GI?

Disappointed, yes, but if Stull gets here, he may have an immediate advantage having played three years of D-1 basketball rather than Juco.

per Marcus:

Hutchinson Community College (Kan.) guard Devonte Bandoo, who was planning to announce his college decision on Monday afternoon, is signing with Baylor, Hutchinson News reported Monday morning.

Bandoo, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound Toronto native, took an official visit to the Gophers over the weekend. His final schools were Minnesota, South Carolina, Kansas State and Baylor.

Playing for one of the top junior colleges in the country, Bandoo averaged 16.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, 2.9 assists, shot 43.8 percent from three-point range and 81.2 percent on free throws this season for the 29-7 Blue Dragons.

The Gophers still have one scholarship remaining to use for next season, which could be used to add more backcourt depth.

Wisconsin-Milwaukee graduate transfer Brock Stull, who was considering a visit to Minnesota, has not announced his decision yet.

http://www.startribune.com/kansas-j...target-devonte-bandoo-picks-baylor/482550221/

Go Gophers!!

Any chance we can sneak in Al Nolen in disguise? He deserved another year of eligibility anyway...

Not sure GI can be trusted for anything out of state whether it be Basketball or Football.
GI is usually pretty spot on whether it is a in-state or out of state guy. I think Bandoo is a tougher case to read. Seems like JC guys are always a little more unpredictable when it comes to recruiting decisions and timelines.

If the rumor is true we canceled Stull's visit because of feeling good on Bandoo, good luck getting him here now.

Yes, if true that would be pretty clumsy. Supposedly Stull did visit Xavier this weekend and is coming next weekend? If was that simple maybe we are fine. But, pretty big but too..if Bandoo said yes, there was no spot for Stull...you don't have to be too smart to realize where you are wanted the most.
Plus, Wichita was recruiting Bandoo, so you'd assume our new assistant had a relationship with him as well.
Then there are always rumors Baylor is dirty when it comes to recruiting...did they make Bandoo an offer he couldn't refuse after the Gophers thought he was coming here?
Lot's of interesting questions.
We need a guard who can score, defend and handle...I'll settle for 2 out of 3. And he needs to be eligible. Hoping Carr is eligible is too iffy for me....

Browsing Twitter, some random guy (no offense meant, just not a reporter) said that Bandoo told the Gopher coaches he was coming Sunday night. That might be information he got from one of the pay sites, I don't know. Take it with a grain of salt, but thought it was worth sharing.

I had talked myself in to Bandoo being a nice piece, so this was a disappointment to me.

Yes, if true that would be pretty clumsy. Supposedly Stull did visit Xavier this weekend and is coming next weekend? If was that simple maybe we are fine. But, pretty big but too..if Bandoo said yes, there was no spot for Stull...you don't have to be too smart to realize where you are wanted the most.
Plus, Wichita was recruiting Bandoo, so you'd assume our new assistant had a relationship with him as well.
Then there are always rumors Baylor is dirty when it comes to recruiting...did they make Bandoo an offer he couldn't refuse after the Gophers thought he was coming here?
We need a guard who can score, defend and handle...I'll settle for 2 out of 3. And he needs to be eligible. Hoping Carr is eligible is too iffy for me....
Would Rob Jeter make such a gross mistake?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My first question was if Baylor was an Addidas school.

Browsing Twitter, some random guy (no offense meant, just not a reporter) said that Bandoo told the Gopher coaches he was coming Sunday night. That might be information he got from one of the pay sites, I don't know. Take it with a grain of salt, but thought it was worth sharing.

I had talked myself in to Bandoo being a nice piece, so this was a disappointment to me.

$cott Drew $trike$ again.

Top Bottom