All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Now this is the type of positive thinking I like to hear Bad! Get Bandoo (what a great name- Bandoo for two!) or Stull and we have a lot of talented players heading into next year. There is also the possibility that Carr is eligible for next year ...if that happens we are loaded with depth.

Right when I was getting off the Pitino bandwagon....

Ole Miss commit.

Another in a long list of misses. I would be typing for a long time if I listed all the guys we were said to be recruiting but missed on. Really glad now that we got Carr. Also super glad that he is said to be a good outside shooter, as we are lacking in that area. Just wish he was eligible to play in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another in a long list of misses. I would be typing for a long time if I listed all the guys we were said to be recruiting but missed on. Really glad now that we got Carr. Also super glad that he is said to be a good outside shooter, as we are lacking in that area. Just wish he was eligible to play in 2018.

That's recruiting. This ain't Duke. That's why they have a LONG list of guys they offer and go after. I prefer to concentrate on the guys they get rather than on the guys they miss. To the guys that they miss- have a great life. To the guys that we get- GoGophers! I love who we have coming in - Oturo, Kalscheur, Omersa, Carr and Willis all make for a solid future. If we get Stull or Bandoo, we are off to the races!

When a player doesn’t commit, that doesn’t necessarily mean we missed on them. We accepted a commitment from Carr which has changed our needs.

I think there is a good chance that transfer eligibility rules will change this year related to coaching changes, Carr may be eligible, if not he will be a good addition for 2019.

Not a miss when you cancel the visit and decide to go after other guys.

Except for two or three blue blood programs everyone misses on recruits more than they hit.

Not a miss when you cancel the visit and decide to go after other guys.

How do you know that's what happened? Boy, if that's the case, Pitino sure changed his mind quickly since he offered him maybe less than two weeks before the visit was scheduled and another week and a half before the visit was cancelled.

When a player doesn’t commit, that doesn’t necessarily mean we missed on them. We accepted a commitment from Carr which has changed our needs.

Well, two problems with that theory:

1) It is not clear that Carr can play right away which means we still may have needs; and
2) The Miller visit cancellation occurred about a week or so before the Carr commitment (and before the visit as well I believe).

Well, two problems with that theory:

1) It is not clear that Carr can play right away which means we still may have needs; and
2) The Miller visit cancellation occurred about a week or so before the Carr commitment (and before the visit as well I believe).

This will hopefully be a Stull announcement weekend. That gives us eleven scholarship players all with talent for this Fall. Go Gophers

This will hopefully be a Stull announcement weekend. That gives us eleven scholarship players all with talent for this Fall. Go Gophers

That would be a great development and I agree that 11 healthy scholarship players should be enough. But, I'm not going to count the chickens before they're hatched and, given the state of the roster over the last four years, I'm not going to assume that all of those 11 players will be healthy, eligible, in place, and competent.

Is there any reason to believe Stull would announce this weekend? Has he even visited the U? Thought I heard that a visit was a possibility, but I don't think I heard that it was definitely happening.

Is there any reason to believe Stull would announce this weekend? Has he even visited the U? Thought I heard that a visit was a possibility, but I don't think I heard that it was definitely happening.

Agree. I was hoping for some information leaks about either Stull, or the JC guard. Where are our recruiting gossip sources? On vacation?

Do we like our odds coming off of that visit?

I would think if he's truly announcing a commitment within days of visiting here, I'd think that would be a good sign, unless you've got a strong preference for Stull over Bandoo. But I also can't find any source for fraternity2017's post about him announcing within the next few days. In fact I can't find much information at all on his recruitment. 247 doesn't even list us as a school of interest, much less having offered him a scholarship and had him on a visit. The most recent event shown in his recruiting timeline is Archie Miller visiting him 2 months ago.

How do you know that's what happened? Boy, if that's the case, Pitino sure changed his mind quickly since he offered him maybe less than two weeks before the visit was scheduled and another week and a half before the visit was cancelled.
Information from insiders. Things started to really heat up with Carr and Stull became a graduate transfer option as well as the new assistant had some previous targets that were intriguing.

Information from insiders. Things started to really heat up with Carr and Stull became a graduate transfer option as well as the new assistant had some previous targets that were intriguing.

This insider stuff is fun to read. Thanks for sharing.

Ryan James was just on KFAN said it sounds like the Gophers feel pretty good about their chances with Bandoo. Brock Stull was going to visit this weekend but that got pushed back so Bandoo must be the priority for the Gophers staff.

Is Bandoo considered a better get than Stull? Two years versus one I guess.

Is Bandoo considered a better get than Stull? Two years versus one I guess.

It seems like Bandoo and Stull are in a tier of their own when it comes to immediately eligible players who are interested in Minnesota. So the important thing is getting one of the 2.

Bandoo is also 22 I believe, with 2 years remaining. So he could provide maturity and stability for a couple years hopefully.

I’m wondering if they would find a way to open up a scholarship if it meant getting Stull too.

It seems like Bandoo and Stull are in a tier of their own when it comes to immediately eligible players who are interested in Minnesota. So the important thing is getting one of the 2.

Bandoo is also 22 I believe, with 2 years remaining. So he could provide maturity and stability for a couple years hopefully.

I’m wondering if they would find a way to open up a scholarship if it meant getting Stull too.

Who's scholarship are you going to free up, Hurt, Kalschuer, that would do wonders for local recruiting.

I don't know if it has been posted yet but Brock Stull was Demry Croft's go to receiver at Boylan Catholic HS in Rockford Illinois.

I was wondering why that name sounded so familiar and now I know why. I remember seeing so many youtube clips of the announcer shouting "Croft to Brock Stull for the touchdown!"

Who's scholarship are you going to free up, Hurt, Kalschuer, that would do wonders for local recruiting.

Matz would be what I was thinking, if Pitino doesn’t think he’s good enough. Nobody outside of hardcore fans even knows he exists.

Matz would be what I was thinking, if Pitino doesn’t think he’s good enough. Nobody outside of hardcore fans even knows he exists.

No chance. That would have been a huge waste if he pulls his scholarship now, plus Oturu has/is having shoulder surgery. Matz could very well be starting at the beginning of the season.

That would be stupid we would have plenty of depth at the 2 if Bandoo commits and Matz will help us off the bench for depth. I feel Oturu, Matz, Curry, Murph, Omersa is good depth at the post but cutting Matz would put us a little short. I think our biggest 2 position weaknesses in depth...not starters are the point and small foward. It makes no sense why we didn’t at least target a small forward. I don’t like playing small and getting outrebounded.

While the enthusiasm for Bandoo as understandably been largely based on the fact he scores a lot of points and could likely be the best 3 point shooter on the team the second he steps on campus, he also averaged nearly 6 rebounds a game, which could potentially make him the best rebounding guard on the team as well.

Good point on rebounding stat. I’m all for taking best talent and I think he’s be good for us just unfortunate he’s not a point guard or 3

Top Bottom