All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I wouldn't trust the 247 team too much when it comes to anything other than football. Having guys like Trapp and Mitchell that high is laughable

This is the composite ranking, an average from the 4 major rankings and is all done by computers, the 247 team has no influence on it aside from the algorithm they use to calculate it.

Once the ratings services update the 2018 rankings, Tre will be a 5-star, no doubt and possibly a top 10 recruit. His composite ranking is low right now because ESPN didn't have him in the top 60 of their latest update, which was ridiculous.
With way Oturu is playing he should get a bump as well, even though it really doesn't matter much.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

This is the composite ranking, an average from the 4 major rankings and is all done by computers, the 247 team has no influence on it aside from the algorithm they use to calculate it.

Fair enough. Still wouldn't trust 247 with any basketball information

Why? All they do is show the composites from other rating services and make predictions on where kids will commit. What don't you trust?

They also have their own rankings in addition to the composite although I don't know why they would be any less credible than the other 3.

per Marcus:

Watching the Howard Pulley Panthers this weekend in Maple Grove you might notice a 6-foot-9 former Gophers player in the crowd cheering on Jarvis Thomas.

Thomas, an explosive junior forward at Orono High School, got cut from a team at 13 years old. He couldn’t even dunk when he first met Jonathan Williams, who played for the Gophers from 2005-09. He thought about quitting the sport to focus on football.

But after Williams started working with him in St. Paul in the eighth grade, it wasn’t long before he was playing with more confidence and eventually playing above the rim, too.

"He's been a great influence," Thomas said. "He's kind of what got me started in this whole thing. Coach Jon wouldn't let me quit. He just kept working with me. We always did workouts -- and the rest is history."

Thomas is one of the fastest rising prospects not just in Minnesota but the entire country in the 2018 class. Videos of him soaring and slamming alley-oops and putbacks have been all over social media this spring from his AAU season.

“I thought he had a lot of potential,” Williams said. “Over time, he’s developed into a hell of a basketball player. It’s all deserving of him. He’s a rebounder, shot blocker and a junkyard dog. With his athleticism running the floor and being that work horse – you can get endless things out of him.”

The Gophers haven’t offered Thomas a scholarship yet, but they’ve shown more interest lately. So have schools like Xavier, Butler, Florida, Michigan and Michigan State, he says. It likely won’t be long before his major conference offers list expands from Pittsburgh and Texas A&M at this point.

http://www.startribune.com/ex-gophe...omas-turn-into-a-high-major-talent/423223683/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

The Wilson recruitment seemed to have a lot of twists and turn over the past month or so. It's hard to know whether we would have been in the mix for him if we had a scholarship open given that the finalists at the end of the day were both very close to home (UConn and St John's). I would think being able to join Isaiah at Minnesota would have been tempting if it was a possibility.

The Wilson recruitment seemed to have a lot of twists and turn over the past month or so. It's hard to know whether we would have been in the mix for him if we had a scholarship open given that the finalists at the end of the day were both very close to home (UConn and St John's). I would think being able to join Isaiah at Minnesota would have been tempting if it was a possibility.

I'm not sure we would have had much of a shot even if he stayed an 18 kid. Favorites with him in the last month went from Syracuse to UCONN (literally 3 days ago he was saying he was going there) then St. John's. Seems like he was always going to stay in the Northeast which is why I think both the Gophers and his family decided to move on and look elsewhere. Plus he would have been stuck behind Amir. In the long run it will probably work out best for both sides.

Ya it was, started out as a 2017 kid, reclassified to 2018 and back to 2017. best of luck to him, I hope Chris Mullin can get that program back up and running

I'm good with a Fantastic 4 instead of a Fab 5.

Tre
Daniel
Race
Gabe/Jarvis

I'm good with a Fantastic 4 instead of a Fab 5.

Tre
Daniel
Race
Gabe/Jarvis

Tre isn't coming here and Thomas isn't getting an offer.

I'd be ok with Johnson along with Thompson and hopefully another PG though.

Is he one of the ones who is visiting here? Otherwise Gabe seems a lot more likely.

Yes he is visiting here in June. He's listed as a 6'5" small forward and I think he's supposed to be one of our higher out of state recruiting priorities.

I wish there was more video of Johnson doing other things than dunking. I know it's a highlight film and that's what gets the clicks and I'm sounding like a 70 year old man but for my own personal sake, it'd be nice to see him doing other things. My grand scouting report from 2 minute YouTube videos is that he's just a taller Joe Coleman.

Yes he is visiting here in June. He's listed as a 6'5" small forward and I think he's supposed to be one of our higher out of state recruiting priorities.

I see. SG Erick Hunter is also planning on visiting in June as well so it will be interesting to see who we end up with out of those two and Kalscheur as our 2018 wing unless it's ends up being someone else.

We just offered PG Jared Butler.

He's averaging over 15 PPG and 5 APG on a 5-7 EYBL team.

Gophers going all out to get a visit from Noah Locke. He is the best example in the class of why the ratings services are way off. Dominoes started to fall now on combo guards with Hubb to ND and Slater as a big surprise to Villanova instead of Maryland or Louisville.

Howard Pulley loses twice today. Tre Jones hurt his ankle midway through the first game and didn't play again. Completely different team without him. Pulley finishes the regular season 13-3 heading into the peach jam.

Sounds like the ankle injury for Tre Jones was a fairly serious one. Could be something to monitor as his recruitment continues, though I highly doubt it will be as significant as when schools backed off Coffey because of his broken leg and ACL injuries. Tough situation for Tre, I'm sure the kid wants nothing more than to play in the Peach Jam but you also have to factor in his future. That said, it probably has minimal effect on schools recruiting him. He could very easily be the top PG in the country in the 2018 class.

Sounds like the ankle injury for Tre Jones was a fairly serious one. Could be something to monitor as his recruitment continues, though I highly doubt it will be as significant as when schools backed off Coffey because of his broken leg and ACL injuries. Tough situation for Tre, I'm sure the kid wants nothing more than to play in the Peach Jam but you also have to factor in his future. That said, it probably has minimal effect on schools recruiting him. He could very easily be the top PG in the country in the 2018 class.

Who said anything about him missing the peach jam? All we know about it is that it caused him to miss 1.5 games both the same day of the injury.

Fair amount of speculation on twitter that it's a "serious" ankle injury including Charley Walters saying it's a "severe" ankle injury

Peach jam is a long way off. Have seen Pulley a half dozen times. Missed yesterday because i did the night session. Was busy watching Locke and Keldon Johnson. Jones has done a better job than any other player making those around him better. His intuitive feel for how to play is off the charts. i see him as the 3rd best point guard in that class behind Garland and Quickley .

Fair amount of speculation on twitter that it's a "serious" ankle injury including Charley Walters saying it's a "severe" ankle injury

I don't think he knows anything more about the injury than anyone else. Just sensationalizing.

Any word on when the prospects who claim to be visiting in June are actually coming? Believe it was both K. Johnson and Hunter who were saying they'd be visiting

Top Bottom