All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Yeah, but this thread is talking about how great a job Sy Chatman did guarding Jones. Is holding Jones to 35 points really considered great defense?

Not at all. Was Sy guarding him the whole game?

Not at all. Was Sy guarding him the whole game?
I have no idea. I'm just reading this thread and trying to figure out how Sy Chatman would make us a better team next fall.

I have no idea. I'm just reading this thread and trying to figure out how Sy Chatman would make us a better team next fall.

Chatman didn't start guarding tre jones until midway through the second half and did a solid job of altering shots and staying with jones

Would also rather have Ryan Larson than Sy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sy has better offers than Larson. Really hoping we’re in on some better guys than Sy though.

Chatman is a virtually identical version of Jarvis Omersa with a little less athleticism. Don't know why we'd take two of the exact same guys.

He is likely the second best athlete in the state though.

Larson may be a better fit scholarship wise and was a slightly more productive for Howard Pulley but there is no denying Chatman has much greater upside and is a better overall college prospect. More productive player for Cretin too.

It's all moot though, i'd be shocked if either got an offer.

Larson may be a better fit scholarship wise and was a slightly more productive for Howard Pulley but there is no denying Chatman has much greater upside and is a better overall college prospect. More productive player for Cretin too.

It's all moot though, i'd be shocked if either got an offer.
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chatman is a virtually identical version of Jarvis Omersa with a little less athleticism. Don't know why we'd take two of the exact same guys.

He is likely the second best athlete in the state though.
This. I like Chatman, I like him a lot, I'm just wondering if he'd be a bit redundant though when there are other needs.

He's big and moves well, he covered Jones for 6 or 7 minutes in the second half, not sure of exact numbers but I believe Jones only got 2 points during that time frame, when Oturo got his 4th foul they moved Chatman inside to cover AP's big man and Jones really took over after that and basically scored at will. Chatman could cover the 1 through 4 positions defensively but he really has no natural offensive position at the B1G level, offensively he would be a project, not physical enough to score inside and not enough game to play on the wing.

He's big and moves well, he covered Jones for 6 or 7 minutes in the second half, not sure of exact numbers but I believe Jones only got 2 points during that time frame, when Oturo got his 4th foul they moved Chatman inside to cover AP's big man and Jones really took over after that and basically scored at will. Chatman could cover the 1 through 4 positions defensively but he really has no natural offensive position at the B1G level, offensively he would be a project, not physical enough to score inside and not enough game to play on the wing.

Thanks for the clarity on Chatman.

Ryan Larson who transferred from Braham to Cretin? He has been a very good high school player, but didn’t realize he was borderline D1.

I think Larson will go to a mid major, and in 4 years when that team is in the tournament, and we either don't make it or are knocked out early we will be saying what we could have had! lol

Solid pg prospect with very good athleticism and instincts. Very good on defense and running a team. Not a consistently good outside shooter (14 of 43 from 3, .326%).
Actually surprised he doesn't have a ton of mid major offers.

Ryan Larson who transferred from Braham to Cretin? He has been a very good high school player, but didn’t realize he was borderline D1.

Chatman's ability is not in question, he has the size and athleticism.

He just tends to disappear for long stretches of time and doesn't have the drive that Omersa does.

He should be an ok D1 player but I would hope we could do better.

I think Larson will go to a mid major, and in 4 years when that team is in the tournament, and we either don't make it or are knocked out early we will be saying what we could have had! lol

Solid pg prospect with very good athleticism and instincts. Very good on defense and running a team. Not a consistently good outside shooter (14 of 43 from 3, .326%).

Larson is good, but Wishart will probably be the guard we wish we'd gotten 4 years from now. Larson will be a good low-mid major pg. He's not quite big enough to play B10 and handle the grind. Schools like NDSU and some the Wisc- Green Bays of the world missed out on Larson. Should've been on him harder last summer. Wishart has a better body and is just as athletic and would translate more to power 5 conference play.

I would rather have Wishart. Chatman and Larson are not P5 players. . . .at all. Chatman was invisible for long periods of time, Larson is probably is closer but not a goo enough shooter.

I really like the way Larson plays the point. Plenty of D1 scouts who know more about basketball than me have taken a look and passed. I assume they did so with good reason, but he has "4 year player who becomes the heart of the team as a senior" written all over him in my opinion. I'm probably wrong, but that's my opinion.

Wishart is another that comes to mind when we talk about MN players who might not be studs from Day 1, but will regret not pursuing harder.

This thread reminds me of when Monson was coach. Debating bit players for open scholarships in the Spring

This thread reminds me of when Monson was coach. Debating bit players for open scholarships in the Spring

With our depth this year, I think we learned that bit players could be pretty important. If we had a junior or senior who could actually contribute as a backup at center or a couple other legitimate "bit players" it is possible this season could have gone much differently. At least that is what many seem to contend.

With our depth this year, I think we learned that bit players could be pretty important. If we had a junior or senior who could actually contribute as a backup at center or a couple other legitimate "bit players" it is possible this season could have gone much differently. At least that is what many seem to contend.

Just think if we had Bakary's brother instead of him.

This program *should* be offering and getting players who would be elite at a mid-major, not players who would be good mid-major players as a senior. You don't win games by taking mid-major players.

That being said, if we could get Larson to walk on for a year or two before betting a scholarship I'd be all over that.

I would rather have Wishart. Chatman and Larson are not P5 players. . . .at all. Chatman was invisible for long periods of time, Larson is probably is closer but not a goo enough shooter.

Did Wishart already sign with Georgia Southern? Or is it just a verbal?

This program *should* be offering and getting players who would be elite at a mid-major, not players who would be good mid-major players as a senior. You don't win games by taking mid-major players.

That being said, if we could get Larson to walk on for a year or two before betting a scholarship I'd be all over that.

Agreed, especially because I have to wonder if Ed Conroy will ever want to be a headcoach again and if he leaves he will take his walk on PG son with him probably. I know it is very rare for walk on players to actually see the court, but i'd rather have a guy like Larson in that spot with the potential of him developing into a backup. I am not sure how well Larson played most of the year, but in the state game he made Tre Jones look really slow on more than a few plays. Larson has a very quick first step, good court vision, and can finish at the rim. He could easily play at a mid major imo.

Tubby never gave Woodward a look, he lasted one year at Penn State, he definitely wasn't B1G material, I would think Woodward was as least as good or a little better than Wishart or Larson, neither have B1G talent or potential.

Tubby never gave Woodward a look, he lasted one year at Penn State, he definitely wasn't B1G material, I would think Woodward was as least as good or a little better than Wishart or Larson, neither have B1G talent or potential.

Larson is a much better prospect than Woodward was (still not certain he's Big Ten caliber, but just saying).

Anyone watch that Nova game last night and think Larson could be our Collin Gillespie (aside from the small, white point guard aspect)?

Larson is a much better prospect than Woodward was (still not certain he's Big Ten caliber, but just saying).

He is? Why did Woodward have offers from Penn St., Washington St., and Gonzaga while Larson has offers from Wofford and Presbyterian?

Top Bottom