All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Former Seton Hall player saying Nelson to Minnesota. No concern either way as i am not as high on him as some and i have seen him in person several times. Much higher on Johnson and so are college coaches. Grad transfer market is setting up to be flush along with spring recruits which will have larger volume than past seasons.

Former Seton Hall player saying Nelson to Minnesota. No concern either way as i am not as high on him as some and i have seen him in person several times. Much higher on Johnson and so are college coaches. Grad transfer market is setting up to be flush along with spring recruits which will have larger volume than past seasons.

Who would that be? Link?

Can you enlighten us on what you saw that makes you less-than enthused about him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is much more limited in overall advance skill set than many others the Gophers recruited. The former Seton Hall player was talking hoops with me and Tom Konchalski and the opinions were in agreement that many ranked lower are better at this point in time as well as a couple of unranked international players. Does not mean he will not become better than many ranked above him. That happens all the time.

He is much more limited in overall advance skill set than many others the Gophers recruited. The former Seton Hall player was talking hoops with me and Tom Konchalski and the opinions were in agreement that many ranked lower are better at this point in time as well as a couple of unranked international players. Does not mean he will not become better than many ranked above him. That happens all the time.
What's the main gripe with nelson? His offensive potential? I have heard he is a solid defender but curious what a former player thinks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Will there be a live feed for Nelson's announcement or is it just Twitter?

Sounds like Nelson was set on Minnesota after his visit but Seton Hall had a late in-home with him that flipped his interest back to them. We'll have to see what happens but that's what it sounds like.

Per Anthony's twitter, he will be making his announcement tomorrow at 9pm. Maybe he had last minute second thoughts, or the original report of his decision announcement was inaccurate.

They did not have to tell him. They sold him on the Ty Jerome, Kyle Guy and Stattman fellow. Iam just sharing opinions and your trying for put downs. Remember, i support your team but i am not afraid to say when someone is better especially since i do not carry a bias for a program with very little success.

Ryan James said on the latest TGB podcast, released this morning, he expects Anthony Nelson to pick Seton Hall tonight. He also said he was less than impressed with Keyontae Johnson and seemed confused that he even took a visit here. If Nelson stays out east, look for the scholarship to be banked until the spring and they either seek a grad transfer or an incoming freshman who could opt out of their school if a coach gets fired.

Ryan James said on the latest TGB podcast, released this morning, he expects Anthony Nelson to pick Seton Hall tonight. He also said he was less than impressed with Keyontae Johnson and seemed confused that he even took a visit here. If Nelson stays out east, look for the scholarship to be banked until the spring and they either seek a grad transfer or an incoming freshman who could opt out of their school if a coach gets fired.

Less impressed from a basketball or personal standpoint?

Brian Bowen?

Less impressed from a basketball or personal standpoint?

Basketball.

I’d be ok with banking the scholarship. However, we also inevitably have at least one early departure (going on 25 years straight) so that’d mean at least 2 to fill this spring, which isn’t ideal.

But another successful year will put us in decent position for spring recruiting. Barn will be rocking this winter, facilities will be open, etc.

Basketball.

I’d be ok with banking the scholarship. However, we also inevitably have at least one early departure (going on 25 years straight) so that’d mean at least 2 to fill this spring, which isn’t ideal.

But another successful year will put us in decent position for spring recruiting. Barn will be rocking this winter, facilities will be open, etc.

Is he just an athlete, not a basketball player? I just saw a lot of dunks in his highlights

Anthony Nelson to Seton Hall. Personally I am disappointed - loved his game and thought he would be a good quality B1G pg some day and round out a solid class. Hopefully we can fill that last scholarship with a quality player at some point.

Interesting that he would spend the time to visit here if we did not even make his top 4 list.

Interesting that he would spend the time to visit here if we did not even make his top 4 list.

Yeah that was weird. With Nelson delaying his announcement by a day, I wonder if he told the staff he was leaning Minnesota and had a last minute Reid Travis-esque change of heart.

On the plus side, the 2018 recruiting thread lives on to provide further entertainment!

I believe he released that top 4 list after his official visit was done. Regardless, it has to be a little weird to have 2 guys on campus, on the school's dime, with only 1 spot available.

Hard to imagine anyone committing before the fall signing period begins. Anyone on the radar has committed or is knowingly headed elsewhere and it's just not official yet. Probably best to bank the scholarship until the spring and see what happens. A lot can transpire between now and March. It will be interesting to see who they have their eye on.

One heck of a conspiracy theory here, but what are the odds the staff got some good news on Jarvis Johnson they weren't expecting and that's why there wasn't a commitment? Highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened. Still a great class with Oturu, Gabe and Thomas. And with Curry back a year from now, that will be a potentially ridiculous front court with him, Oturu and Murphy if it all holds together.

I think Nelson going to Seton Hall could be a blessing in disguise. I wasn't impressed with him personally and think there's a solid chance to land a better prospect in the Spring. You can't give a class where you land an Oturu less than a "B", but I am still disappointed by how things have turned out to this point. I really thought the early commitment from Oturu combined with the successful season on the court and the opening of the new facilities would lead to at least one more consensus top 100 kid in this class.

I do think the struggle with PG/CG recruiting this year could possibly have something to do with Isaiah Washington's high profile. We aren't at a level yet where really good kids will come if they think they are blocked from early PT and Isaiah has a much higher profile than your average PG a class ahead who was ranked 50-60th overall nationally. I think it's at least possible that an equally rated pg by the name of Joe Smith wouldn't be the potential deterrent to pg's in the following class that the creator of Jelly Fam might be.

I still wonder what the plan is at the wing given our relatively little interest in the position in this class. We have Amir as a Sophomore, but behind him we have either Hurt or Fitzgerald. Compare that to the seemingly strong desire to add a PG or CG to this class when we have Washington, McBrayer, Harris, and Kalscheur at PG/SG. Hopefully that means the staff is really excited about the potential of Hurt or Fitzgerald because from the outside looking in, it would have been my first position to address after landing a Center in Oturu.

Lets live up to expectations on the court this year and look back and be really happy we had a scholarship available because Player X wants to be a Gopher in the Spring!

Top Bottom