All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Man this is a major disappointment. I really thought things were trending in the right direction with Hunter and I am not one of the more optimistic fans on the board. I really wonder if we would have Haliburton in the fold now if Hunter would have given us an indication he wasn't even going to take his official when we had the recent home visit with him? Either the staff really misread Eric or we go strung along here.

Big picture, Hunter was the only guy the Gophers have been strongly connected to that I could talk myself in to being a top offensive option. We started off really strong with Oturu, but now our class is ranked 6th in the B1G. Maryland is 7th and they have a much stronger average recruit than we have, they just only have 2 commitments. Wisconsin is also below us but have an Oturu level instate commitment as their only commitment (they still have one scholly to give for this class). The Gophers ended up near the bottom in the rankings last year because they only had 2 scholarships to give. It's strange because this staff has done well out of state in previous years, but have missed on a lot of targets (specifically guard targets) in this class so maybe the playing time thing is an issue.

Keyontae Johnson appears to be the most highly regarded option still available among Gopher targets. He'd be a really interesting fit because between him and Jarvis Thomas the Gophers would have two really elite athletes at the 3 and the 4, but he has a lot of questions surrounding his shooting and reminds me a bit of an even more athletic Joe Coleman (in his videos you see him passing up open look/feet set 3's to drive to the basket).

I think if we're patient we can end up with a good player, it's just surprising that we are struggling a bit on the recruiting trail coming off a very good season, opening new facilities, and being ranked by everyone going in to this season. Pitino's job is now secure and he's got more to sell...so hopefully we get some good news eventually. It's really been nothing but bad news from Dupree's stress fracture to Eric Curry's knee injury to Reggie Lynch needing a surgery to recruiting misses for a few months now.

6th in the big ten and about 13 the in the country I'd say that is better than average. Will end up with a top 20-25 ish class.

Are there any updates on players visiting our campus?

Looks like Anthony Nelson is going to Clemson this weekend and would have two visits left (if he wants). Keyontae Johnson went to Texas Tech last weekend, but still has three visits left to take.

If I had to guess, I would think Pitino would try to get one of them here the weekend of Oct 14. With a night football game against MSU, the atmosphere on campus should be pretty nice. Either that or Homecoming is the following weekend.

Are there any updates on players visiting our campus?

Honestly, just based on the seemingly lack of any urgency or real storm surrounding Nelson or Johnson, I kind of have the gut feeling they’re going to hold that scholarship until the spring

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Honestly, just based on the seemingly lack of any urgency or real storm surrounding Nelson or Johnson, I kind of have the gut feeling they’re going to hold that scholarship until the spring

Could very well be the case. Regardless, it seems the staff is pretty satisfied with the players they already have committed. I get the feeling the staff feels there really isn't a desperate need to fill that final scholly, so it wouldn't be surprising at all if they bank it for next year.

Gopherhole would be a very boring place without all of the aforementioned activity.

Edit:Reply to post above mine

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Semi-relevant, Joe Hedstrom got an offer from Utah and is taking a visit there. He's a local Big that we've looked at but haven't offered. Wisconsin offered him to walk on his first year and get a scholarship his last 3. Interesting to see him get a power conference offer.

Semi-relevant, Joe Hedstrom got an offer from Utah and is taking a visit there. He's a local Big that we've looked at but haven't offered. Wisconsin offered him to walk on his first year and get a scholarship his last 3. Interesting to see him get a power conference offer.

Good for him, actually not suprising when you think about it. Hedstrom has a similar stlye game and level of athletisicm that Jakob Potl had when he was at Utah.

Doubt the Gophers will offer, he doesnt overly impress me and I get the feeling that he is not really the right fit for they sytem.

Good for him, actually not suprising when you think about it. Hedstrom has a similar stlye game and level of athletisicm that Jakob Potl had when he was at Utah.

Doubt the Gophers will offer, he doesnt overly impress me and I get the feeling that he is not really the right fit for they sytem.

Agreed plus were full in the front court next year

After more research, I'm further convinced the only reason Nelson isn't ranked by ANY of the three major sites is that he is playing at a prep school. Hopefully at some point, he will get ranked, but either way, I'm convinced adding Nelson would only solidify our standing as a Top 10-15 class this year.

I'm don't get caught up in the rankings, but I'm confused how he would solidify our class rank.

Because to evaluate a team's whole class, the sites that do team rankings will have to factor him in and I guess I'm confident that he is at least a high 3-star with all the quality offers he accumulated. In other words, I don't think he will be considered any lesser than any of our other 2018 commits, therefore solidifying our current Top 15 ranking.

Nelson looks like a fine driver and passer...any stats on his shooting?

Nelson looks like a fine driver and passer...any stats on his shooting?
On the Nike circuit he shot 36.7% from 3, on limited attempts and 71.4% from the line. He averaged 11ppg and 4.5apg on a good NY Lightning team. In the regular season, he was 8th on the circuit in assists per game.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

pretty good quickness, clearly left hand dominant, right hand needs some work, but interesting. Great to have another NY kid.

I get that.

Oturu is ~50, so he would be considered lesser that him no matter what. With the three recruits we currently have signed their national ranking averages out just under 130.

I feel like your nitpicking here, but understand my point. I guess bottom line is that - if we get Nelson - I don't see us dropping out of the Top 15 team rankings. I'm not sure how Nelson is still unranked with all those major offers, but I'm thinking that by the Early Signing Period, that will change.

I feel like your nitpicking here, but understand my point. I guess bottom line is that - if we get Nelson - I don't see us dropping out of the Top 15 team rankings. I'm not sure how Nelson is still unranked with all those major offers, but I'm thinking that by the Early Signing Period, that will change.

Top 15 when? When rankings are all said and done? If Nelson completes this class, I'd be surprised if we are even in the top 20 at the end of the rankings. Most of the top players have not committed yet. Maybe Nelson gets ranked in the top 100 - then that would change things. Hard to believe he goes from unranked to top 100, even 150. But no matter where we end up, I like the players we are getting and Nelson would be a great addition.

I'm convinced adding Nelson would only solidify our standing as a Top 10-15 class this year.

Just not following how you think a currently unranked player could solidifying us as top 10-15. Even if he gets ranked we are likley to slide back some.

Moving on. Solid class either way.

I'm convinced adding Nelson would only solidify our standing as a Top 10-15 class this year.

Just not following how you think a currently unranked player could solidifying us as top 10-15. Even if he gets ranked we are likley to slide back some.

Moving on. Solid class either way.

Yeah, I guess we will see how it all unfolds.

Top Bottom