All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Well Stull should pick Xavier because it's a better program

If the only reason someone picked a school was because it has a better program, the Gophers would almost never win a recruiting battle for any players with other Power 5 options.

and apparently a lock for the tourney

Yeah, no one said that. History shows that the odds are that they will be better than the Gophers, though.

Same reason Lindsted should have stayed at Wich St.

Keep trying to shoehorn that in there.

Pitino should have been a bird in the hand type of guy. Hopefully Stull goes here so we can compare the two for next season and Bandoo the following

I'm with you and Bad on this one. If what Goldy said is true, and Goldy is as close to a program insider as we have on this board, turning down a commitment from a 45% three point shooter without knowing if the other guy is coming, is a big risk. That having been said, if Stull comes here and succeeds, I think it positions us much better for guards in the 19 class, and I'll quickly forget who Bandoo is. He'll be relegated to the same bin as Doug Wren and Tommy Hammonds.

Knowing almost nothing about either one beyond stats, my gut tells me the grad transfer is going to be more ready to play B1G basketball on Day One than the Juco.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to default toward the school with 16/18 Tournament appearances likely being better than the school with 5/18 Tournament appearances - putting aside that the 16/18 school has won at least one game for 4 consecutive Tournaments while the 5/18 school has won one cumulative Tournament game since the first Bush administration. Oh, and also putting aside that the 5/18 school had one of the worst seasons in school history last year (for the second time in three years).

It honestly feels like I live on a different planet than some of you. Are we watching the same games and watching the same events unfold?

And what happened the very season after they **** the bed the last time? We got a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. It's almost as if the outcome of one season doesn't determine the outcome of the next season.

Roster changes should influence expectations. Basing them purely on history is just dumb.

If the only reason someone picked a school was because it has a better program, the Gophers would almost never win a recruiting battle for any players with other Power 5 options.

Yeah, no one said that. History shows that the odds are that they will be better than the Gophers, though.

Keep trying to shoehorn that in there.

I know this is going to blow your mind. But just like players, coaches pick schools for more reasons than just a better program.

It honestly feels like I live on a different planet than some of you. Are we watching the same games and watching the same events unfold?

We have all known this for quite some time.... lol
Why are you so quick to praise teams you know nothing about and then be so negative about the Gophers? If you are the true fan that you say your are, why not be optimistic about your team? It is much more enjoyable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why are you so quick to praise teams you know nothing about and then be so negative about the Gophers?

Who said I don't know anything about them? I watch a lot of basketball and follow it pretty closely.

If you are the true fan that you say your are, why not be optimistic about your team? It is much more enjoyable!

One can be both a realist and an optimist. Blind optimism with little to no basis in reality is not how I choose to live. I can't just turn off that part of my brain and ignore decades of precedent - if you are able to do that, more power to you.

Roster changes should influence expectations. Basing them purely on history is just dumb.

They do influence expectations, within a certain degree of variability. Based on history, we have a pretty good idea that (for example) Duke will likely be really good and that (for example) Rutgers will likely be really bad.

Just like you can't look only at history, you can't ignore it either.

They do influence expectations, within a certain degree of variability. Based on history, we have a pretty good idea that (for example) Duke will likely be really good and that (for example) Rutgers will likely be really bad.

Just like you can't look only at history, you can't ignore it either.

History helps influence the coaches you get, and both history and coaches help influence which players you get. Ultimately, coaches and players alone determine how successful a team is in a given year. If a team's roster significantly improves or gets worse from one year to the next, expectations should follow suit and you shouldn't care what their record was last year, the year before, or the year before that.

Kids absolutely do care who made more tournaments the last 18 years. Kids choose schools like Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and so on because they're confident that those schools have been good (Tournament appearances) and have reason to believe they will continue to do so in the future. Decisions aren't made in a vacuum.

A homer argument not based in reality, sure.

Again, I feel as though I've been watching a different program than many of the rest of you for the last 20 years. I'm a huge Gophers fan across all sports, but I'm not going to pretend that we're some sleeping giant just waiting to burst forth and capture the nation's attention. I'm sure that TITTY (this is totally the year), though.

Sure. But Xavier is not Duke or UNC. They lost much of their production and their coach. They are not a slam dunk to just reload the way Duke or UNC would. If Xavier has a 60% chance of making the NCAA's next year and Minnesota has a 40% chance, but offers more playing time, it's not an irrational decision.

Who here said anything about a 'sleeping giant' or 'capturing national attention'? This is more about your over-inflation of Xavier than anything. But you also treat a middling B1G team like it's South Dakota State. Actually South Dakota State might have a better chance at the NCAA's than Xavier or Minnesota next year. He should go there.

You should schedule an interview with our new assistant where you can berate him and tell him how stupid he is for taking this job. I'd pay to watch that.

I agree with earlier comment about Stull being better for gophers than Bandoo. Not saying he’s better than Bandoo but I think it’s close and with Stull we won’t have as a big of a long jam at the 2 down the line (Will have guys like Kalscheur, Carr, and Willis capable of playing 2), will be able to use the scholarship for position of weakness, will have more minutes for Kalscheur cause I think he’s going to be good.

I’m fairly new to this board, so don’t take offense to this question. Did you make that up, or was that take based upon inside info? If inside info, please post more! Most of the posts here are from people like me that have no inside contacts and just make wild guesses and predictions. We need more posters like you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It comes from insiders on pay sites. I'm not gonna post everything they put out there but just wanted to put this out there for people looking for information like this. It gives you an idea of the information you get from these pay sites and it is definitely worth the price you pay.

Sure. But Xavier is not Duke or UNC. They lost much of their production and their coach. They are not a slam dunk to just reload the way Duke or UNC would. If Xavier has a 60% chance of making the NCAA's next year and Minnesota has a 40% chance, but offers more playing time, it's not an irrational decision.

Who here said anything about a 'sleeping giant' or 'capturing national attention'? This is more about your over-inflation of Xavier than anything. But you also treat a middling B1G team like it's South Dakota State. Actually South Dakota State might have a better chance at the NCAA's than Xavier or Minnesota next year. He should go there.

You should schedule an interview with our new assistant where you can berate him and tell him how stupid he is for taking this job. I'd pay to watch that.

The Gophers would love to be a middling Big Ten team.

I know this is going to blow your mind. But just like players, coaches pick schools for more reasons than just a better program.

True. Just like tons of highly successful programs want nothing to do with Stull. For the record, players pick schools for all kinds of reasons but the better players obviously care about picking the better programs. They mention wanting to join a winning program, coach all the time. Many even wait for better offers, they work very hard for that exact opportunity.

The Gophers would love to be a middling Big Ten team.

We get it, you have a lower opinion of the U than most Badger fans do. Stop turning every thread into the U is worse than these schools. The only thing that changes from your takes, from thread to thread, is the schools which the U is worse than. Just start your own thread and start off from the letter A and go through every institution and explain why each is better than the U, that way I don’t have to read the same stuff over and over. By the way why do you claim to be a fan, why not be a fan of a school that doesn’t suck compared to every other school?

We get it, you have a lower opinion of the U than most Badger fans do. Stop turning every thread into the U is worse than these schools. The only thing that changes from your takes, from thread to thread, is the schools which the U is worse than. Just start your own thread and start off from the letter A and go through every institution and explain why each is better than the U, that way I don’t have to read the same stuff over and over. By the way why do you claim to be a fan, why not be a fan of a school that doesn’t suck compared to every other school?

I am a double alumnus of the University of Minnesota, as is my wife, and I have worked for the University of Minnesota for just shy of 10 years. I have invested more money, blood, sweat, and tears in this University and its athletics programs than most posting here. I love the University of Minnesota and have essentially dedicated my life to it. That said, I'm not going to pretend that the University of Minnesota is an elite athletic institution (particularly in men's basketball and football), and I'm not going to blow smoke up anyone's ass to fit your definition of a "fan." Sorry - deal with it.

MODS, can you please delete (most of) the last 2-3 pages of this thread? We are in the middle of finishing out our recruiting for 2018 and 99% of us come to this thread for recruiting updates. We log on and excitedly see a bunch of new action on said thread. But wait, it's yet ANOTHER pissing match involving everyone's favorite fact-checker that has added multiple pages of egotistical chest-puffing to what should be a crucial thread for serious fans.

This seems to happen on 50% of GopherHole threads. Ridiculous. Anyone see a pattern?

If Carr is eligible next year now, we have no major injuries or suspensions then this should be Pitinos best year

Pitino put out gopher, llerFuller confirmed

Woop Woop! Big big get for depth.

Maybe dpo can go back to work for the U now. Find another outlet my man.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to default toward the school with 16/18 Tournament appearances likely being better than the school with 5/18 Tournament appearances - putting aside that the 16/18 school has won at least one game for 4 consecutive Tournaments while the 5/18 school has won one cumulative Tournament game since the first Bush administration. Oh, and also putting aside that the 5/18 school had one of the worst seasons in school history last year (for the second time in three years).

No. Most us live in a dream world. It is too painful to face reality.

If Carr is eligible next year now, we have no major injuries or suspensions then this should be Pitinos best year

Well, if we have no injuries or suspensions, we probably could do well enough without Carr for the year (I agree it would be good to have him eligible anyway). Besides, in my relatively short time (< 10 years) as a Gopher fan I have learned to always assume there will be some roster mishaps.

I am a double alumnus of the University of Minnesota, as is my wife, and I have worked for the University of Minnesota for just shy of 10 years. I have invested more money, blood, sweat, and tears in this University and its athletics programs than most posting here. I love the University of Minnesota and have essentially dedicated my life to it. That said, I'm not going to pretend that the University of Minnesota is an elite athletic institution (particularly in men's basketball and football), and I'm not going to blow smoke up anyone's ass to fit your definition of a "fan." Sorry - deal with it.

Stull picks lowly Gopher program over Xavier. What is going on? First coach Lindsted and now Stull? Go lowly Gophers!

“I have invested more money, blood, sweat, and tears in this University and its athletics programs than most posting here.” How do you know this with such certainty?

And what happened the very season after they **** the bed the last time? We got a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. It's almost as if the outcome of one season doesn't determine the outcome of the next season.

Well, of course, but that was among the greatest one season turnarounds in college basketball history. You can't expect something like that to happen twice in three seasons. I would also say that it is extremely doubtful that we will have a newcomer with the impact of Reggie Lynch (Big Ten defensive player of the year in his first season). I have some doubts that one of the freshman will play as well as Coffey did his freshman season. Finally, we can't assume that the soph IW will come close to the junior Mason. We probably have equal value in Stull compared to Springs (and, in an amazing coincidence, from the same school as well).

Well, if we have no injuries or suspensions, we probably could do well enough without Carr for the year (I agree it would be good to have him eligible anyway). Besides, in my relatively short time (< 10 years) as a Gopher fan I have learned to always assume there will be some roster mishaps.
Good thoughts and I am crossing my fingers on total recoveries by Curry and Coffey. Big if they both heal well.

This thread is for 2018 recruiting updates. Any posts that steer off-topic will be deleted.

Top Bottom