All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Who on here has extensive knowledge on Omersa? I sat down and watched an entire Orono game tonight and all I can say is...he is very athletic but very raw. I know that's what scouts have been saying, but did I happen to just watch a game where he struggled or is he really that "raw"? He gets lost on defense a lot and on one play he gave up 3 consecutive offensive boards trying to get the block. On offense, he was just okay against a guy he should have dominated due to size difference.

I don't mean to be negative, I trust that he will be a great player for us...just defering to someone who has maybe watched more than one game on the young man and has other thoughts.

Who on here has extensive knowledge on Omersa? I sat down and watched an entire Orono game tonight and all I can say is...he is very athletic but very raw. I know that's what scouts have been saying, but did I happen to just watch a game where he struggled or is he really that "raw"? He gets lost on defense a lot and on one play he gave up 3 consecutive offensive boards trying to get the block. On offense, he was just okay against a guy he should have dominated due to size difference.

I don't mean to be negative, I trust that he will be a great player for us...just defering to someone who has maybe watched more than one game on the young man and has other thoughts.

If every freshman came in and was good enough to start, there wouldn’t be enough space for everybody. Jarvis is a high potential guy that has the potential to be great, but probably won’t be more than a contributor as a freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds about right. Omersa is raw and will take a while to become a college player. He's the least able of the three to contribute as a freshman.

That sounds about right. Omersa is raw and will take a while to become a college player. He's the least able of the three to contribute as a freshman.

The good thing here is that he plays the position we are able to be patient with considering Curry and Murphy. Oturo needs to be rady.

Help me out: I know Omersa, Fleck, Oturu . . .the kids next to Omersa is DT from Alabama OJ Smith? Who are the kids on the ends?

Help me out: I know Omersa, Fleck, Oturu . . .the kids next to Omersa is DT from Alabama OJ Smith? Who are the kids on the ends?

By looking at the responses to the posted picture - guy on the left is Goodnews Kpegeol, basketball player from North St. Paul, guy next to him is Michael Roberts (whoever that is) - not O.J. Smith (who would be much, much bigger), and guy on the right is Bryce Phillips, basketball player from North St. Paul.

By looking at the responses to the posted picture - guy on the left is Goodnews Kpegeol, basketball player from North St. Paul, guy next to him is Michael Roberts (whoever that is) - not O.J. Smith (who would be much, much bigger), and guy on the right is Bryce Phillips, basketball player from North St. Paul.

...and the North St. Paul connection is Damian Johnson.

The good thing here is that he plays the position we are able to be patient with considering Curry and Murphy. Oturo needs to be rady.

Curry/Murphy start at the 5/4 next year, Stockman gets some time as the backup center, Oturu picks up a lot of the other minutes. I'm sure Coffey will be back to 30-35 minutes a game next year with Hurt picking up the rest. Not sure where this leaves Fitzgerald and Omersa but a lot potentially will open up the year after. I think Omersa will contribute immediately on defense and an athletic finisher. He's Rodney Williams with less skill on offense but a bigger frame.

I personally would prefer starting Oturu granted he’s as good as I think. I just like rotation better with Curry giving bench spark but big minutes and Oturu can board and block shots like no other

Curry/Murphy start at the 5/4 next year, Stockman gets some time as the backup center, Oturu picks up a lot of the other minutes. I'm sure Coffey will be back to 30-35 minutes a game next year with Hurt picking up the rest. Not sure where this leaves Fitzgerald and Omersa but a lot potentially will open up the year after. I think Omersa will contribute immediately on defense and an athletic finisher. He's Rodney Williams with less skill on offense but a bigger frame.

I'm pretty sure that Jarvis is already more skilled than Rodney is/was, specifically regarding ball handling and passing. He's probably not quite the nuclear level athlete that Rodney was but damn close.

Jarvis is bigger, stronger and as skilled. He looked huge when I saw him Wednesday night.

I'm pretty sure that Jarvis is already more skilled than Rodney is/was, specifically regarding ball handling and passing. He's probably not quite the nuclear level athlete that Rodney was but damn close.

Rodney willams couldnt shoot at all from more than 5 feet - he could have made the NBA if he would have ever learned to shoot properly. He didnt improve in four years under Tubby.

Pitino is showing a lot of love to Courtney Ramey, he's back to see him again tonight. Would be a really positive sign for the program if he could land him.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pitino is showing a lot of love to Courtney Ramey, he's back to see him again tonight. Would be a really positive sign for the program if he could land him.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Would be a surprise as Missouri thinks they have him.

Same question on Hurt. Anyone know if gophers coaches still showing up for his games? See Self was the latest to watch him.

Would be a surprise as Missouri thinks they have him.
Oklahoma State is probably the leader right now but not by much over another group of 3 or 4. Missouri really just started in on Ramey and it doesn't sound like they are getting a whole lot of consideration right now but maybe that could change. Seems like Ramey is really gonna take his time. Hopefully the Gophers can get him on a visit and if that happens that is when you know they have a legit chance.

Same question on Hurt. Anyone know if gophers coaches still showing up for his games? See Self was the latest to watch him.
Yes they have been in to see Hurt. Saw Michael was on the bench at the game last night too and you have to think he has mentioned to his brother a few times how cool it would be for them to play together again especially for their home state.

For those that are able to follow in-state players more closely than I am think the Gophers would have offered Adam Trapp and/or Joe Hedstrom had Oturu not committed? I don't know much about either one of those guys.

Better yet: he can handle a little, and did you see his speed to the goal?

Poor resistance from the primary defender and lack of help side rotation allowed for no shot challenge at the rim. Fire the coach! (Or at least bring in an assistant who can help with defense). :)
On the serious side, not sure Rodney could have done better. Amazing hops.

Yes they have been in to see Hurt. Saw Michael was on the bench at the game last night too and you have to think he has mentioned to his brother a few times how cool it would be for them to play together again especially for their home state.

I've wondered how helpful the brother angle is. Matthew would no doubt eat into Michael's playing time. Also, the whole sibling rivalry thing might make for a tricky situation. They might be thinking it would be better if they each had their own space.

Top Bottom