All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Good size for a SG, but his offer list is just OK.

Tall, lanky guard who can do a lot of things. Plays some PG for his HS team, which was ranked #1 in the state for much of last season, though I'm not sure he would be a primary ball-handler at the Big 10 level. Shoots it OK, but it's probably not a strength at this point. Handles well and is very versatile.

Ryan James is tweeting about Halliburton. Too lazy to copy anything to here but basically said he is big and versatile with a relatively strong offer list.

Might be a good thing. Pitino looks to be the only one coming in for an in-house. Xavier, Butler, Purdue, and OSU are not. Maybe he's decided he's just going to commit tomorrow.

Purdue's the in state school, he just had his OV, he tweets change of plans, and then we offer another PG unexpectedly. Signs point to a Purdue commitment, obviously. One other possibility, albeit small, is that the change of plans is moving up his MN visit to this weekend and then making his decision between Purdue and MN.

Tall, lanky guard who can do a lot of things. Plays some PG for his HS team, which was ranked #1 in the state for much of last season, though I'm not sure he would be a primary ball-handler at the Big 10 level. Shoots it OK, but it's probably not a strength at this point. Handles well and is very versatile.

Thanks UWOle. Do you see him as the type of kid that could develop into a BT starter?

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

On Sunday, Minnesota coach Richard Pitino went to the homes of Orono forward Jarvis Thomas and DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur, who both committed to the U this summer.

Monday, Pitino and staff visits with four-star Cretin-Derham Hall center Daniel Oturu, who is now a top-40 prospect in the country. The 6-foot-10, 225-pound Oturu almost seems like he’s an official member of the team already since he’s been committed since last January.

The Gophers have two more in-home visits scheduled the rest of the week with four-star Indianapolis Tindley guard Eric Hunter Jr. on Tuesday and South Kent (N.Y.) point guard Anthony Nelson on Wednesday.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-daniel-oturu-and-others-this-week/443800233/

Go Gophers!!

Has there been any word that this afternoon's in-home with Hunter has been cancelled? If the presumption is correct that Hunter has selected Purdue you would think that news would come out ?

Has there been any word that this afternoon's in-home with Hunter has been cancelled? If the presumption is correct that Hunter has selected Purdue you would think that news would come out ?
Hunter retweeted, this morning, Ryan James' tweet that says the Gopher in-home visit is scheduled for tonight, so I assume the visit is going ahead as scheduled.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Hunter retweeted, this morning, Ryan James' tweet that says the Gopher in-home visit is scheduled for tonight, so I assume the visit is going ahead as scheduled.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Okay awesome, thanks

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Eric definitely making the most of his pre-commitment 15 minutes with cryptic tweets.

Hasn't Hunter already taken an unofficial to MN? Could be that he's waiting to tell Coach and others in person that he's committing here.

Would be bad form for a kid and his family to have a coach travel to his home only to tell him he's chosen another school. That's news I'm sure Pitino would want to take on the phone.

Would be bad form for a kid and his family to have a coach travel to his home only to tell him he's chosen another school. That's news I'm sure Pitino would want to take on the phone.

Hmm. Extending the offer to the other kid last night would be a strange thing to do then, unless you're trying to put the pressure on or something, which doesn't seem likely to work in this case.

Didn't we do the same thing last year with J. Harris by making an offer to B. Davidson at the last minute? I agree it seems strange but I have no idea how recruiting really works.

Didn't we do the same thing last year with J. Harris by making an offer to B. Davidson at the last minute? I agree it seems strange but I have no idea how recruiting really works.

Seems more like something Dad would do, not so much Richard. And there seems to be a pretty big gap between Hunter and the new kid.

Hmm. Extending the offer to the other kid last night would be a strange thing to do then, unless you're trying to put the pressure on or something, which doesn't seem likely to work in this case.

I don't disagree, that's why the Haliburton offer last night confuses the hell out of me, unless Pitino thinks Hunter's a definite no, then I go back to my original statement about bad form.

If all that is true, then why is Pitino going to the kid's house still? Is it on the National Historic homes list or something?

Nah, we offered Davison in July, Washington didn't even commit until September. In fact yesterday marks one year since he committed. Jamir Harris committed 10 days later. Ryan James said he didn't understand why we bothered offering Davison since the staff would have been aware that he would shortly be committing to Wisconsin. Idk if this Halliburton guy is already considered a strong lean to one school.

There's also the fact that it's not like there were no pre-existing contingency plans in case we don't get Hunter. They have an in home visit scheduled with Anthony Nelson for tomorrow. Maybe Halliburton is just another guard they like in addition to Nelson, and Hunter is still a possibility.

Agreed that this doesn't look good on the surface as far as getting Hunter. Also agreed it's really bad form to have a coach into your home when a decision has already been made. However, Pitino may just be doing what he needs to do to keep a roster filled. He has been burned with inadequate depth and its better to have a player perhaps ready to go if the big fish says no than be forced to scramble now or in the spring. He doesn't have the luxury of waiting around like the blue bloods and his old man. He has to fill a roster with BT quality players, even if they are not four stars. If he's making the visit and the kid is inviting him, there is a chance the decision hasn't been made yet. Big test of the young man's (Pitino) sales skills.

The cryptic posts are bad form, too. Yuk. Helps me to see how classy Tre Jones handled his situation.

If Hunter ultimately decides to go with Purdue, I would be surprised that he didn't make that commitment when he was on campus this past weekend and could tell Painter face-to-face. Maybe this kid is Opposite George, preferring to deliver bad news in person but good news indirectly. Or maybe he'll end up with us.

Bottom line: I just don't get recruiting and all the games that are played.

If Hunter ultimately decides to go with Purdue, I would be surprised that he didn't make that commitment when he was on campus this past weekend and could tell Painter face-to-face. Maybe this kid is Opposite George, preferring to deliver bad news in person but good news indirectly. Or maybe he'll end up with us.

Bottom line: I just don't get recruiting and all the games that are played.

And you never will :)

Haliburton looks like a defensive beast on his highlight reel! I wouldn't mind if we got him. Hunter is projected to Purdue. Nelson is projected to Dayton and Haliburton is projected to Minnesota.

Of the three, Haliburton has the most length.

As Dick Cheney would say, "Haliburton is the precious!"

Haliburton looks like a defensive beast on his highlight reel! I wouldn't mind if we got him. Hunter is projected to Purdue. Nelson is projected to Dayton and Haliburton is projected to Minnesota.

Of the three, Haliburton has the most length.

As Dick Cheney would say, "Haliburton is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

Fixed.

Staff is still meeting with Harris tonight. Belief is the Haliburton offer had nothing to do with the Harris tweet. Pure coincidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Harris? Did we make another offer?

Cause if we did, there's this Haggus kid from Scotland who's not much to look at but more of an acquired taste.

Top Bottom