All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Yes. How many big ten teams have had a one-and-done. Michigan State obviously. I assume Ohio St., Michigan, and Indiana as well. As far as I can remember the other 10 teams have not had a one and done. Which is why it would be such a huge deal if we could get Hurt and Suggs. It just doesn't happen in the big ten very often.

The Gophers had Kris Humphries.

Yes. How many big ten teams have had a one-and-done. Michigan State obviously. I assume Ohio St., Michigan, and Indiana as well. As far as I can remember the other 10 teams have not had a one and done. Which is why it would be such a huge deal if we could get Hurt and Suggs. It just doesn't happen in the big ten very often.

Well, if one goes back a ways, there are more Big Ten schools who have had them. As another poster mentioned, U of M did have Kris Humphries. Even Iowa had one (Ricky Davis) but that's going back to the nineties.

Your general point is correct, though, the Big Ten as a whole hasn't been a primary destination of one-and-dones in recent years. Since 2006, here are the number of one and dones (who were drafted) by Big Ten school:

Ohio State: 6 (3 were from the 2007 team that went to the national championship)
Indiana: 2
Michigan State: 1
Maryland: 1

Total 10

In contrast, over that same time period:

ACC (22)
SEC (27 - mostly from KY of course)
Big 12 (17)
Pac 12 (20)

As one might guess from following college basketball, one and done recruitment has been fairly consolidated into a relatively small number of programs. Over the time period mentioned above, 9 schools have accounted for 65% of the drafted one and done players and only 19 schools have had more than one player.

Source: https://herosports.com/news/one-and-done-rule-list-college-basketball-nba-visualized

Matz is thin but he has more offensive skills than Bakary ever had. He'll be a lower energy version of the Dutch guy on Purdue and play about 10-12 minutes a game if things are going well. He won't dominate, but he will contribute.

No comparison to Bakary, the kid can catch and shoot, I agree he will contribute and might even be in the 15 minute range, not sure about his defense though but you would have to say the same thing about Oturo where there will be a learning curve.

Well, if one goes back a ways, there are more Big Ten schools who have had them. As another poster mentioned, U of M did have Kris Humphries. Even Iowa had one (Ricky Davis) but that's going back to the nineties.

Your general point is correct, though, the Big Ten as a whole hasn't been a primary destination of one-and-dones in recent years. Since 2006, here are the number of one and dones (who were drafted) by Big Ten school:

Ohio State: 6 (3 were from the 2007 team that went to the national championship)

Total 10

ACC (22)
Big 12 (17)
Pac 12 (20)

As one might guess from following college basketball, one and done recruitment has been fairly consolidated into a relatively small number of programs. Over the time period mentioned above, 9 schools have accounted for 65% of the drafted one and done players and only 19 schools have had more than one player.

Source: https://herosports.com/news/one-and-done-rule-list-college-basketball-nba-visualized

Interesting information. Thanks. Another interesting study would be how greatly has the lack of one and dones contributed to the lack of big ten national championships.
I am guessing many of the teams that have won nattys since 2000 have had one and done players.

Interesting information. Thanks. Another interesting study would be how greatly has the lack of one and dones contributed to the lack of big ten national championships.
I am guessing many of the teams that have won nattys since 2000 have had one and done players.

Actually did the research myself using your herosports site. Only 2 out of the last 12 nat. champs had a one and done. 2012 Kentucky and 2015 Duke.

Not as many as you might think. In the past 5yrs, only Duke won a Natty with 1&done players. The rule started in 2005. I think only Duke (2015) & Kentucky (2012) had 1&done players that won it all

OSU make the final in 2007 with 3 freshmen but lost to the Florida team that won the previous season as 2yr players and all came back as Jrs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not as many as you might think. In the past 5yrs, only Duke won a Natty with 1&done players. The rule started in 2005. I think only Duke (2015) & Kentucky (2012) had 1&done players that won it all

OSU make the final in 2007 with 3 freshmen but lost to the Florida team that won the previous season as 2yr players and all came back as Jrs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. The take away, I guess, is that one and done helps teams win lots of games but not necessarily championships. Although if Duke wins this year that would be 3 out of the last 7 years and 2 out of the last 4.

Total 10

ACC (22)
Big 12 (17)
Pac 12 (20)

3 things:

1) it's funny reading some of those names and wondering what ever happened to them or what the hell were they thinking?

2) The number of one and doners is incrementally going up. 2008 was a huge year for early entries but after the drop in 2009 every other year has gone up or had a one player difference.

3) In a dream scenario (from a college fan) can you imagine KAT or Tyus or some of these guys in college still? Some of these rosters would be loaded or in the case of Kentucky, so much more talent would be spread among other teams as they couldn't possibly have a 20 man roster.

It makes you really appreciate the great players and teams of the 80s and early 90s even more in my opinion.

3 things:

1) it's funny reading some of those names and wondering what ever happened to them or what the hell were they thinking?

Well, sure, but, for those players who were pretty confident of getting selected in the first round it was wise decision to go (if they were right, of course). Take two of the Ohio State players for example: Daequan Cook and Byron Mullens. Cook had a pretty marginal career but he hung around long enough to make $13 million dollars. Mullens was terrible (He wasn't even good in his freshman year so drafting him after one year was an idiotic decision) but he stayed around long enough to make almost $7 million dollars. Mullens was kind of an idiot himself. He had a player option for something around 1.2 million to stay another year with the Sixers but he renounced it, entered free agency, and nobody wanted him.

Suggs has a long way to go to be a one and done.

Well he has three whole years until draft eligibility, so having a long way to go from this point is understandable. He'll only get better. He's great for his age and on the right track to be a one-and-done.

Suggs has a long way to go to be a one and done.

Did you watch him? He was a man among boys playing against another D1 player and destroyed him. The guy is a soph in HS and already had a B1G ready body. Hell, he borderline already has a B1G football ready body.

He needs to improve his shooting %. Of course. But cripes, he has 2 more off seasons to do that. His body control in the air is ridiculous for a 6-5 PG. There's a reason he is the 2nd ranked player in the country...please

STrib: Gophers recruit Daniel Oturu: "I want to be able to turn my program around"

Q: What do you think your role will be with the Gophers as a freshman next season?

A: Something they struggled with (minus Reggie Lynch this season) is an inside presence. I feel like I can come in there with a defensive mentality and protect the rim and the paint like I’m doing right now. I feel like that will help us a lot next year.

Q: So you think you could impact the game blocking shots like Lynch did when Minnesota made the NCAA tournament a year ago?

A: I feel like I bring a different type of player. My mentality and the way I play the game is so different from the big men they have right now and what they did. I feel like I’m more of a scorer. I can score and also play defense and rebound. I feel like that will help us out next year.

Q: Richard Pitino and the Gophers had a rough season (15-17 record). How did you look at their struggles this year?

A: It’s a process and you can continue to grow off of something that was already started (the previous season before the injuries). They got a talented group of guys coming back. I will take them over anybody. I love watching those dudes play. They play hard every night and they just want to win. That’s the most important thing. You want to be around the same type of people who want what you want and that’s to ultimately win. That’s how my high school team is right now. We realize we’re all invidually talented players, but we all come together in unison. In the locker room, we all want to win and we put anybody before ourselves.

Q: How much growth physically are you expecting once you get to college?

A: I feel like I have a long way to go. By this time next year, I’ll be in a different weight class and have a lot more pounds on me. Overall, I feel like I’ll be a better player. I’m 6-10 1/2 (with shoes). So I feel the weight that I need to correlate with my body would be around 235-240. I feel like I can be 235 at the start of next season with the weight training at the U and eating right.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-be-able-to-turn-my-program-around/477810563/

Go Gophers!!

I find it hard to believe that a 7'2" center won't get playing time next year. (Matz)

I find it hard to believe that a 7'2" center won't get playing time next year. (Matz)

He will. How much is the question that will be answered on the court. Pretty nice to have Curry, Oturu and Stockman to battle for minutes at the center spot. Also nice to have Curry to spell Murphy at PF. If both Murphy and Curry get in foul trouble, I’m thinking Hurt would have to take some lumps in that spot. Now that Fitz is transferring, would love to see us add a slick shooting wing player at least 6’5” to throw into the small-forward spot to battle Hurt for backup minutes to Coffey. Then another PG with decent shooting ability to backup IW. McBrayer, Harris and Gabe will be fine at the two spot, though Harris may end up having to move on to get playing time after next year if we recruit well in 2019. We would have some real depth for once at all positions. Both new 2018 guys would need to be able to contribute right away next year for across-the-board depth to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He will. How much is the question that will be answered on the court. Pretty nice to have Curry, Oturu and Stockman to battle for minutes at the center spot. Also nice to have Curry to spell Murphy at PF. If both Murphy and Curry get in foul trouble, I’m thinking Hurt would have to take some lumps in that spot. Now that Fitz is transferring, would love to see us add a slick shooting wing player at least 6’5” to throw into the small-forward spot to battle Hurt for backup minutes to Coffey. Then another PG with decent shooting ability to backup IW. McBrayer, Harris and Gabe will be fine at the two spot, though Harris may end up having to move on to get playing time after next year if we recruit well in 2019. We would have some real depth for once at all positions. Both new 2018 guys would need to be able to contribute right away next year for across-the-board depth to be true.

I think you are forgetting that we also have Jarvis coming in next year...we need a pure PG and shooter with immediate eligibility

I think you are forgetting that we also have Jarvis coming in next year...we need a pure PG and shooter with immediate eligibility

Agreed. A point guard who is ready to contribute immediately and a wing who can shoot would be ideal.

On the latest edition of "Talk Gopher Buckets", Ryan James had a couple of interesting nuggets. The first was that he's been told by someone close to the program (I can't recall exactly how he phrased it) that the Gophers are recruiting like they have two scholarships available. The second was that someone involved in the Tai Strickland recruitment (not from the Gophers side, suggested the Badger side) told him that Strickland compares to Jordan Taylor. The other notes on recruiting were nothing we haven't heard before: Gophers are recruiting Ramey and Simons, but they both have a lot of options and Simons very likely could end up in the NBA draft, also still recruiting McGowans but he hasn't decided if he's going to be a 2019 or 2018 kid yet.

I am not sure the etiquette of sharing this information, but if you enjoyed it and want to hear Ryan's thoughts on the state tournament as well as his view of the Jarvis/Gabe battle from last week consider giving "Talk Gopher Buckets" a download from wherever you get your podcasts.

Ryan James continues to be the best Gophers insider. Not a huge stretch that Fitzgerald would transfer, but I don't remember reading it anywhere else.

Yes, forgot to add Jarvis. Bonehead omission.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We need absolutely need a PG, you always have room for a shooter, slasher, lock down defender, basically best player available.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10 ppg. Also, 33rd best assist rate in the nation as a freshman on a slow paced, losing team. Seems like he's worthy. He'd have to sit out a year so the only way this would make sense would be If the 2nd open scholarship would go to a grad transfer point.

Yes. The take away, I guess, is that one and done helps teams win lots of games but not necessarily championships. Although if Duke wins this year that would be 3 out of the last 7 years and 2 out of the last 4.

What number are we cutting off at? Tony Bradley was one and done and won a title with UNC last year.

Really what you need are a core of players who people THOUGHT might/would be one-and-done. UNC had Justin Jackson and Theo Pinson, who were both top 15 recruits, but weren't quite there after their freshman years. Nova had Omari Spellman and Jalen Brunson in the same situation.

Top Bottom