All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Looks like Nesmith has some good offers. Florida, Georgia Tech, Ok state, cinci, TAMU. Wouldn't complain at all if he came here.

Sounds like both Jarvis and Gabe could be Gophers by the end of the week. Then we wait for Tre. I hope we steal Hunter if Tre follows in his bro's footsteps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sounds like both Jarvis and Gabe could be Gophers by the end of the week. Then we wait for Tre. I hope we steal Hunter if Tre follows in his bro's footsteps.

No way they wait on Tre. They'll take a PG and if Tre decides he wants to come, they'll find a scholarship

No way they wait on Tre. They'll take a PG and if Tre decides he wants to come, they'll find a scholarship

Does anyone have a current list of PGs who we may be in on for 2018 outside of tre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's seemed like Hunter and Zegarowski have been the main PG targets outside of Tre. Would be thrilled to land either of them

Interesting that if we get Jarvis and Gabe, as speculated/predicted, we'd end up with three 4-star local recruits. Pretty sure that has never happened. If we get lucky and land Tre, we'd have four Minnesota kids all 4-5 stars. Crazy. If we don't land Tre, I'd probably prefer Llewellyn, and then Hunter. Assuming Llewellyn is more of a pure PG. Then we can focus on wing/combo guards in 2019 and go all in on Suggs as our PG in 2020.

How many years does everyone think Tre will play? I know its tough to say but do we think that he is a one and done? From a money standpoint I could see him wanting to do what Tyus did as he came out and had a killer season. He wasn't going to rise his stock much, or at all, if he did come back...Not to start the whole should Tyus have came out saga again.

Tyus might still be in college if it weren't for his magical Championship run. It's pretty rare for 6'0-6'2 PGs to go one and done. Tre would have to have the same magical season, which may be why he ultimately chooses Duke. Otherwise, I could definitely see him being a 3 or 4 year player.

How many years does everyone think Tre will play? I know its tough to say but do we think that he is a one and done? From a money standpoint I could see him wanting to do what Tyus did as he came out and had a killer season. He wasn't going to rise his stock much, or at all, if he did come back...Not to start the whole should Tyus have came out saga again.

Tyus didn't leave Duke for NBA $$$, he was on scholarship and wasn't facing an immediate financial burden that needed attention. He led his team to a national title and was the Most Outstanding Player at the Final Four. Not sure he could have accomplished more in college, so it was the right time to leave.

Tre doesn't seem like a 1-and-done player, but it all depends on how that first season goes and what the team accomplishes.

Interesting that if we get Jarvis and Gabe, as speculated/predicted, we'd end up with three 4-star local recruits. Pretty sure that has never happened. If we get lucky and land Tre, we'd have four Minnesota kids all 4-5 stars. Crazy. If we don't land Tre, I'd probably prefer Llewellyn, and then Hunter. Assuming Llewellyn is more of a pure PG. Then we can focus on wing/combo guards in 2019 and go all in on Suggs as our PG in 2020.

I think it's kind of generous to claim Kalscheur and Thomas as both being 4 stars. The 247 composite has Thomas as a 4 star, but for some reason lists almost the entire top 200 for 2018 as 4 stars, compared to only about the top 160 recruits for 2017, and no individual service has Thomas as a 4 star, though he did crack the top 150 on Rivals recently. Kalscheur is a 4 star on Scout and ESPN but is not top 100, but I don't put a lot of stock in ESPN's rankings, and he is not even top 150 on 247 or Rivals.

I guess the 4 star ratings seem questionable to me, and they're on the low end of 4-star status at best. It's not like they're consensus top 100 recruits like Oturu or Coffey or Washington.

Tyus didn't leave Duke for NBA $$$, he was on scholarship and wasn't facing an immediate financial burden that needed attention. He led his team to a national title and was the Most Outstanding Player at the Final Four. Not sure he could have accomplished more in college, so it was the right time to leave.

Tre doesn't seem like a 1-and-done player, but it all depends on how that first season goes and what the team accomplishes.

Okay that is probably a better way of framing it but don't you think the paycheck had a little to do with it? You are probably right that he did accomplish what he wanted to, but at the same time he did only average like 12 and 5. Which are good stats on such a loaded roster but still.

Madtown,

I guess I missed it somewhere but has Gabe announced he's making a decision this week? Sure would be nice to have those 3 locked up.

Whether he needed the money or not is irrelevant.

Tyus "cashed out" as there was almost 0 chance he would have had a better stock value coming out a year later. Look what he is considered after a year of strictly playing basketball in the d-league or with the Twolves, he verly likely would not have been picked much if any higher a year later.

Tyus is a career backup PG, to go in the middle of the first round with that as your projection was amazing for him. Tre likely has a similar situation as his best case scenario but unlikely if you were to ask me. (i would ahve said the same thing before Tyus went to college and been dead wrong so take it as a grain of salt obviously)

Tyus might still be in college if it weren't for his magical Championship run. It's pretty rare for 6'0-6'2 PGs to go one and done. Tre would have to have the same magical season, which may be why he ultimately chooses Duke. Otherwise, I could definitely see him being a 3 or 4 year player.

I think this is pretty spot on. If Tre ends up going to Duke, the likelihood of him being at least a 2-3 year player is probably pretty high. He won't really have the chance to shine the way Tyus did as he'll be sharing a backcourt with Darius Garland. There's also the fact a lot of the 2017 PGs are probably coming back for a second year. Quade Green, Trae Young and Jaylen Hands are all 2 year players which will effect Tre's draft stock. That doesn't include Immauel Quickley, Quentin Grimes and obviously Garland who probably all have higher ceilings. He's in an interesting spot. It depends on what his ambition is I suppose.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty solid offers for sure for Hinton. Maryland, Pitt, Wichita State, Penn St, Cinci

It's starting to get a little dated already, but if you haven't listened to the latest "Talk Gopher Buckets" podcast with Ryan James and Luke Beuer I highly recommend it. I listened to it Sunday night and Ryan gave a lot of good recruiting info from the road as he traveled back to Minnesota from the Peach Jam. I won't spoil the entire podcast, but one note that was especially interesting was that the Gophers were at every game for new guard offer Jaelin Llewellyn.

Madtown,

I guess I missed it somewhere but has Gabe announced he's making a decision this week? Sure would be nice to have those 3 locked up.

RJ says a decision is coming soon. Possibly as early as Sunday night after the KC EYBL tournament, or maybe early next week.

RJ says a decision is coming soon. Possibly as early as Sunday night after the KC EYBL tournament, or maybe early next week.

Kyle Golirsch also said on a non-pay thread on 247 that "Pitino is likely not done yet this week," which I'm guessing is an allusion to a Kalscheur decision.

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Board/59465/Contents/BREAKING-Pitino-lands-in-state-4-star--102977725

I believe he also said on another thread that Tre Jones is the closest thing to a Duke lock. I hope he gives us a little more consideration if we have 3 of his AAU teammates committed, but RJ also said that Duke seems to be really prioritizing Tre Jones.

Kyle Golirsch also said on a non-pay thread on 247 that "Pitino is likely not done yet this week," which I'm guessing is an allusion to a Kalscheur decision.

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Board/59465/Contents/BREAKING-Pitino-lands-in-state-4-star--102977725

I believe he also said on another thread that Tre Jones is the closest thing to a Duke lock. I hope he gives us a little more consideration if we have 3 of his AAU teammates committed, but RJ also said that Duke seems to be really prioritizing Tre Jones.

Rene Pulley has told people Tre Jones is going to Duke also. Probably why Pitino is prioritizing the kid from Canada now.

Wait Gobie actually covered basketball recruiting? :clap:

Top Bottom