All Things 2018 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

So you're saying that our recruiting success is killing us on the recruiting front? It's a constant source of amusement how some spin every negative sign into a strength.

Although Washington definitely improved as the year progressed, he didn't give any indication this season that he was the second coming of Chris Paul.

+1

So you're saying that our recruiting success is killing us on the recruiting front? It's a constant source of amusement how some spin every negative sign into a strength.

Although Washington definitely improved as the year progressed, he didn't give any indication this season that he was the second coming of Chris Paul.

Oh that's a disappointment! Over the past 25 years we have been manning the point with Chris Paul knockoffs almost annually..... it is a shame that IW is such a let down from that trend for you.

Oh that's a disappointment! Over the past 25 years we have been manning the point with Chris Paul knockoffs almost annually..... it is a shame that IW is such a let down from that trend for you.

Your sarcasm is misplaced (and relatively witless as well). I didn't say Washington isn't any good, but he certainly isn't good enough to have the national reputation the poster suggested and to scare off quality point guard candidates.

Danya Kingsby the Juco guard from Southern Idaho is on his visit with the Gophers today.

anyone think that the Franco offer will have some influence on Kingsby today?

Danya Kingsby - Would be a good get.

Franco - is a reach I think but fills a need, smells a bit desperate.

ok fair enough. I actually think IW does have enough of a national reputation to scare off point guards who are less than 4* recruits. The chances of getting a 4* guy at this stage of the game are very slim, although Pitino is taking a shot at one in McGowens.

It's my opinion that expectations on this board for the type of player we can get are too high. Essentially we are looking for a backup guard for next year that can play the point for 10 minutes, unless we get an injury to IW. Despite the bad year, the roster we have coming back is pretty strong going about 8 deep.

Do you consider Hurt among those 8?

C- Oturo /Stockman
PF- Murphy/ Curry
SF- Coffey
SG- McBrayer/Kalsheuer
PG- Washington

Those are my 8. I think there is a chance that Hurt improves and gets good PT but I also have hope that Omersa can help out at PF if Curry has to spend more time at center. I love this group of frosh for their attitude and the different talents they bring to the mix- so I may be more bullish on their ability to contribute immediately than some.

C- Oturo /Stockman
PF- Murphy/ Curry
SF- Coffey
SG- McBrayer/Kalsheuer
PG- Washington

Those are my 8. I think there is a chance that Hurt improves and gets good PT but I also have hope that Omersa can help out at PF if Curry has to spend more time at center. I love this group of frosh for their attitude and the different talents they bring to the mix- so I may be more bullish on their ability to contribute immediately than some.

Agree, shouldn't be in top 8. If is, haven't recruited well enough.

Byron Hawkins from Murray State is a potential grad transfer prospect. I haven't seen him play, but he averaged 7 ppg last year and shot about 40% from 3. I realize that doesn't jump off the page and impress in a big way, but imo we desperately need a grad transfer PG so I wonder if he gets a look. Getting him would be better than nothing.

Byron Maxwell from Murray State is a potential grad transfer prospect. I haven't seen him play, but he averaged 7 ppg last year and shot about 40% from 3. I realize that doesn't jump off the page and impress in a big way, but imo we desperately need a grad transfer PG so I wonder if he gets a look. Getting him would be better than nothing.

I think you mean Hawkins. He only averaged 1 assist per game. Doesn't really sound like a PG. Without knowing for sure how good these guys are, I'd much rather get Kingsby.

I think you mean Hawkins. He only averaged 1 assist per game. Doesn't really sound like a PG. Without knowing for sure how good these guys are, I'd much rather get Kingsby.

Correct. Meant Hawkins. I think Byron Maxwell was a NFL player. I'm not overly impressed with his numbers, though the 40% from 3 would be nice. In reading about his release from Murray State it sounds like they had him at the 2 and he wants to play more PG. Was just throwing a potential name out there.

Correct. Meant Hawkins. I think Byron Maxwell was a NFL player. I'm not overly impressed with his numbers, though the 40% from 3 would be nice. In reading about his release from Murray State it wounds like they had him at the 2 and he wants to play more PG. Was just throwing a potential name out there.

Fair enough, and yeah, he might be more of a PG than his numbers imply. With Kingsby on his visit, I'm just hoping we get a commitment from him. I have a pretty good feeling about him.

#1 priority was to find a point. I'll take IW and Kingsby for the next two years and feel good about it. Hopefully we don't end up banking the final scholarship. I anticipate Curry and Coffey recovering, but McBrayer's injury seems more chronic so would be nice to have more insurance on the wing.

Brock Stull, Milwaukee

Any chance this would have any legs as grad transfer possibility? Averaged 13.4 ppg and 4.8 rpg, shot 37.9% from 3.

Played HS ball at Rockford Boylan (Ill.).

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Any chance this would have any legs as grad transfer possibility? Averaged 13.4 ppg and 4.8 rpg, shot 37.9% from 3.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was just going to post this, but usually Mark Miller knows his stuff regarding Wisconsin recruiting. Don't think he would randomly speculate this so perhaps he has heard something.

Just a thought, do we know if he's a grad transfer? I haven't seen it stated anywhere. Would you take him if he has to sit out a year?

Was just going to post this, but usually Mark Miller knows his stuff regarding Wisconsin recruiting. Don't think he would randomly speculate this so perhaps he has heard something.

Just a thought, do we know if he's a grad transfer? I haven't seen it stated anywhere. Would you take him if he has to sit out a year?

His tweet refers to him as such, so I'd imagine so. Not only does he shoot a good percentage from 3, but he attempted 6 per game. Impressive. If we get Kingsby and Stull, I'll be pretty damn happy with that.

Couple people on the UW-M board are speculating Stull to Minnesota. Would be a nice get. Looks like he graduates with a Criminal Justice degree after this semester.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

His tweet refers to him as such, so I'd imagine so. Not only does he shoot a good percentage from 3, but he attempted 6 per game. Impressive. If we get Kingsby and Stull, I'll be pretty damn happy with that.

His tweet does state, completely missed that. I read a separate tweet that speculated there was uncertainty whether he was a grad transfer or not.

Couple people on the UW-M board are speculating Stull to Minnesota. Would be a nice get. Looks like he graduates with a Criminal Justice degree after this semester.

That's not going to play well on this team. Snitches get stitches.

I’d be very happy with spring recruiting if we ended up with Kingsby and Stull, with Willis to add depth in the future. Don’t know how Marcus Carr fits into this but we seem to be in his top 4 and I would love to have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Criminal Justice...he'd be a perfect deterrent to our rogue athletes...[emoji41]

I’d be very happy with spring recruiting if we ended up with Kingsby and Stull, with Willis to add depth in the future. Don’t know how Marcus Carr fits into this but we seem to be in his top 4 and I would love to have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious as to what makes posters like Kingsby so much ?

He shot nearly 40% from 3 in his two JUCO seasons and has some athleticism as well. Also played well in the JUCO national tournament.

I'm not in love with the thought of getting Kingsby, but PG depth is by far the most concerning thing going into next season and he seems like he's probably at least competent enough to give us 10 adequate minutes per game, which is all we really need as long as IW stays healthy. Getting a competent backup PG will ease my anxiety and there aren't a ton of realistic options, so I'd be happy with a guy who is super athletic, shoots ~40% from 3, and is one of the higher rated JUCOs in the country. Brock Stull seems like he would be a really good get for us, and if we pull off both I will feel really good going into next season given who else we have on the roster.

Top Bottom