UW Students Chant "NIT" at the Barn

I guess it depends on how one defines "problems". Not having a Final Four caliber team? In that regard, sure, the Badgers won't be anywhere near what they are this season, especially if Dekker moves on. But this is a special team, the kind that don't come around all that often unless your name is Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke. Will be interesting to see if they (at minimum) can follow up one Final Four trip with another one.

Sadly, one thing we do know is whoever Bo puts out there next season they'll be ready to play and produce. That never changes.

I hate very little, but I do hate Bo. Reasonably gracious in victory, but almost always a jerk in defeat, rarely giving credit to the other team. A real butt on the sideline. That having been said he recruits and/or convinces players who are willing to work hard in practice, learn his system, get little playing time their first two years, stick around and get productive time on the court as juniors and seniors. Kaminsky is A-1 example. In almost every program in the country, guys who get almost no court time as freshman and sophomores will leave or be pushed out as juniors. For Bo to keep guys like that and make them productive says something about the system and his guys that begrudgingly needs to be admired.

Bringing it back to the OP, I never want to see another team clinch the title in our building again. Never. Ever. And if the Gophers have a chance to clinch on the road sometime in the future, I'll do everything in my power to be there and celebrate.

I'm on the band side of the arena and I thought they did a great job of drowning out the sound from the Abyss of the Red after the game.

As annoying and even angering as it was to see Wisconsin fans show up in such great numbers and make so much noise, the fact is that if we were rolling to a Big Ten title and high NCAA seed, they were scraping to the end of a very disappointing season, we played them in a late season game in Madison, our student section traveled in great numbers, and then started NIT and CBI chants, this would not seem so tragic. This is our penalty for being mediocre and having 3,000 empty seats for most games. It’s not the first time we’ve been in this spot. Illinois, Michigan State, and, I think, Michigan have all traveled their student sections to Williams Arena where they’ve made their presence very clear. I want it to stop, but that’s on the U of M to fix.

The remedy is relatively simple to identify. Implementing it is harder. The Gophers have to improve on the floor and put together consistently good seasons with signature wins and NCAA bids while simultaneously rebuilding a fan base that once again sees Williams Arena as the place to be. From a standpoint of fan support, this program still hasn’t fully recovered from the academic scandal in 1999. The misfire on Monson and the letdown of Tubby’s final seasons certainly haven’t helped, but the root of malaise goes back to 1999. Had Gangelhoff and a bunch of players been rogues, it would have been one thing. However, it was quite another when Clem Haskins turned out to be a prime figure in the conspiracy.

Not everyone understood or liked all of Clem’s strategies and substitution patterns, but people generally thought he was a righteous, moral person. To discover he wasn’t just killed the program in the eyes of so many people. Crowds plummeted in 1999-00 and apart from a minor bounce in the early Tubby days, they’ve never recovered and the fans that do show up seem less engaged and don’t seem to live and die with the team as much. Obviously a much more saturated sports/entertainment market plays a role too, but Gopher basketball no longer feels as special to the general public. If somehow, hopefully, the team and the fans can reconnect and those 3,000 empty seats fill up with Gopher fans, the days of being the official student section road trip will end and Williams Arena can regain its still existing, but dulled, status as a cauldron that costs visiting teams points and instills fear.

I'm on the band side of the arena and I thought they did a great job of drowning out the sound from the Abyss of the Red after the game.

They sure did. There were a couple times that chants got going/people started singing "Varsity" that the band director got them into another song right away. Solid work on their part.

Football - 2003
Basketball - 1992-93

I don't care what kind of whitewashing the higher-ups want to do. I was there and I witnessed the 1996-1997 season, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen.

I don't care what kind of whitewashing the higher-ups want to do. I was there and I witnessed the 1996-1997 season, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen.

Thankfully, some of us have an ethical compass. Accomplishments gained by cheating are not to be celebrated and should be remembered with nothing but scorn and contempt.

They sure did. There were a couple times that chants got going/people started singing "Varsity" that the band director got them into another song right away. Solid work on their part.

That'll shut 'em up. Simple solution if you don't want opposing team's fans chanting and singing their songs on your home court/field. BEAT THEM! Until then shut up.

I'm with you. I have a moral compass AND I loved that season. Sir moonlight and I met and fell in love, we watched the games with my kids. We all said "whew!" when Bobby Jackson saved the day. We had a fabulous time and While I care that Clem broke the rules, it doesn't change the experience we had.
Joseph Campbell talks about how the judgment of the prevailing culture doesn't diminish the hero's journey, even if we decide that what was accomplished should not have been. The journey itself can remain heroic. We've paid the price so there is no need to beat ourselves with the proverbial lash. We're adults enough to recognize that NCAA champions are not squeaky clean. Would we say that the Kentucky team of today is morally and ethically superior to the 1997 Gopher squad? It's also a great perversion of the intention of college sports. Or NC's system? Minnesota stood up and took responsibility. I feel proud of that AND I remember that year fondly. Those kids don't deserve the scorn dpod has for them.

It is either done the right way or not. Cheating and lying are simply wrong. Otherwise just cheat rampantly every year . Celebrate it , then when there are consequences , so what ! Wow, Glad my beautiful daughters are repulsed by poor ethics .

It is either done the right way or not. Cheating and lying are simply wrong. Otherwise just cheat rampantly every year . Celebrate it , then when there are consequences , so what ! Wow, Glad my beautiful daughters are repulsed by poor ethics .
Glad you are so sure of black and white and can feel so secure in your beautiful pure perspective. If you watch NCAA basketball you have agreed to close your eyes to cheating and lying. How do you feel about the inner city kids whose lives and futures are completely on the line so you can fill out your bracket? after growing up in the sterile suburbs, I chose to live in the inner city so I can recognise that the people who cheated are not really those kids on the floor. Who made the money? Who suffered? The coaches? The schools?
I'd rather tell my beautiful sons that money drives college basketball and it's unfortunate and tragic. But if we're going to decide who cheated who, we better be very careful. Watch the docu about the fab 5 and hear what Jalen Rose has to say. It will either open your eyes about what is happening in college sports or turn you off forever. I chose to stay with open eyes, and I find your perspective myopic. But good luck with your girls.

That too shall pass.

Big Friday night for Dolly, touting his moral compass and discussing a sport he knows little about.

If you think the Gophers had an advantage over most teams in '97 due to their "cheating", at best you are naive. Flash forward to this day and age where online courses are now a possibility for athletes, and it's even easier for things to be done. It's especially interesting to see this old argument come up on the same day the Syracuse news breaks.

Big Friday night for Dolly, touting his moral compass and discussing a sport he knows little about.

If you think the Gophers had an advantage over most teams in '97 due to their "cheating", at best you are naive. Flash forward to this day and age where online courses are now a possibility for athletes, and it's even easier for things to be done. It's especially interesting to see this old argument come up on the same day the Syracuse news breaks.

Calling names - cute. Also claiming that I know little about basketball - adorable. I've been paid to coach basketball - have you?
Why is cheating in quotation marks? It was cheating, period. Whether it actually gave them an unfair advantage (it absolutely did) is immaterial. Cheating is cheating. "Everybody else is doing it" is neither true nor a defense. If you all want to make excuses for the biggest black mark in the history of Gopher athletics, knock yourselves out. I'm not going to be joining you. Nothing you say will ever change my mind. I know that I'm right, and ethics that change due to your bias are no ethics at all.

Calling names - cute. Also claiming that I know little about basketball - adorable. I've been paid to coach basketball - have you?
Why is cheating in quotation marks? It was cheating, period. Whether it actually gave them an unfair advantage (it absolutely did) is immaterial. Cheating is cheating. "Everybody else is doing it" is neither true nor a defense. If you all want to make excuses for the biggest black mark in the history of Gopher athletics, knock yourselves out. I'm not going to be joining you. Nothing you say will ever change my mind. I know that I'm right, and ethics that change due to your bias are no ethics at all.

Is there any way Holy Man would bequeath you his monicker? Obviously, you're more worthy.

Is there any way Holy Man would bequeath you his monicker? Obviously, you're more worthy.

I'm no paragon of virtue. Standing up against widespread systemic academic fraud is a pretty low ethical bar to clear - one that most GHers are clearly incapable of hurdling.

I'm no paragon of virtue. Standing up against widespread systemic academic fraud is a pretty low ethical bar to clear - one that most GHers are clearly incapable of hurdling.
Who here do you think believes the academic fraud should have been ignored? No one. If you think you're the only one to clear the bar you are struggling in your comprehension.

I have been in the college game for 48 years. Not every team cheats. Stanford, UVA, UW follow very hard standards and other schools that follow the rules should not suffer as the result of others cheating. Not from the suburbs, good try. Born and raised in Los Angeles and worked with inner city players for 30 years teaching responsibility to young people that if they follow rules and take care of business it will result in a better outcome. I think the kids that suffer because of the corruption do get the short end of the stick and that is exactly why colleges and coaches that cheat have to be removed from power. All of society falls apart if we do not follow rules. Syracuse will suffer now and North Carolina soon. As it should be.

I have been in the college game for 48 years. Not every team cheats. Stanford, UVA, UW follow very hard standards and other schools that follow the rules should not suffer as the result of others cheating. Not from the suburbs, good try. Born and raised in Los Angeles and worked with inner city players for 30 years teaching responsibility to young people that if they follow rules and take care of business it will result in a better outcome. I think the kids that suffer because of the corruption do get the short end of the stick and that is exactly why colleges and coaches that cheat have to be removed from power. All of society falls apart if we do not follow rules. Syracuse will suffer now and North Carolina soon. As it should be.

Yes, UW is immune to cheating or even stretching the rules, you delusional fool.

Regarding the OP, if we win more games, they will have nothing to say. My guess is our student section would be chanting the exact same thing if the tables were turned.

Haha. UW, the Stanford and UVA of the Midwest. So delusional.

Thankfully, some of us have an ethical compass. Accomplishments gained by cheating are not to be celebrated and should be remembered with nothing but scorn and contempt.
Yeah and there was no Fab Five at Michigan. either. Getting dizzy on your high horse?

Not as a school they are not UVA or Stanford but how they run their Athletic department. Everybody has the right to think what they want. But rules are rules and you can choose to believe they should be followed or not. If not, then where do they draw the line?

Not as a school they are not UVA or Stanford but how they run their Athletic department. Everybody has the right to think what they want. But rules are rules and you can choose to believe they should be followed or not. If not, then where do they draw the line?
No problem with that. I doubt however the Badger athletic department is soaking their hands in Ivory Liquid. That's the reality of big time sports. It however is well run and something to be respected. Everyone program as issues with athletes from time to time so enjoy you teams right now. I would be more inclined to compare them to Michigan State than Stanford or UVA.
Going on another team's home floor and chanting NIT would be like going to Madison and chanting Bo Ryan sucks. I wouldn't do it nor most fans. I suppose chalk up to dumb students.

Who here do you think believes the academic fraud should have been ignored? No one. If you think you're the only one to clear the bar you are struggling in your comprehension.

Most of the board, it seems. Most think the "Final Four" was legitimate and should be celebrated and remembered fondly. This is incongruous with the unassailable fact that the "accomplishment" was gained by breaking the rules. If there is no punishment for breaking the rules, what is the point of the rules? How are they enforced? If you feel the "Final Four" should be celebrated, how is that not celebrating academic fraud, or at the very least pretending it's no big deal?

If we would stop consistently getting outplayed by them in football and basketball (when was the last time we finished higher than them in the conference in either sport?), then we would make it much tougher for them to make fun of us. As long as we continue to wet the bed, we set ourselves up for getting made fun of.

So true, I'd make fun of us too. Start beating them and that will shut them up. Until then, grow some thicker skin.

Most of the board, it seems. Most think the "Final Four" was legitimate and should be celebrated and remembered fondly. This is incongruous with the unassailable fact that the "accomplishment" was gained by breaking the rules. If there is no punishment for breaking the rules, what is the point of the rules? How are they enforced? If you feel the "Final Four" should be celebrated, how is that not celebrating academic fraud, or at the very least pretending it's no big deal?

The final four was removed as it should have been.....but that doesn't mean that it NEVER happened. That's what you continue to ignore.

I don't think that people here believe it should be publicly celebrated, but some of us personally enjoyed it which cannot be erased. Nor do I think people believe the rules shouldn't be followed. A few holier than thou posters want to make it about that. I'm all for the rules being in place and being properly enforced. Again, you and builtbadger would like to elevated yourselves to the higher plane. That the rules violations have been investigated and enforced unevenly by the NCAA has always been the discussion. That however was never in question at the U and no one thinks it was.

I personally think that the kind of program that Kentucky has put together violates the spirit of college basketball, tho the rules are apparently intact. I hope Wisconsin plays them and beats them. I like this Badger team. Otherwise, I will probably boycott the final game, and likely will not watch any of the UK games.
I simply think you're getting off on exaggerating the perspectives of some posters so you can be offended and feel superior. You too, Builtbadger.

Top Bottom