UW Students Chant "NIT" at the Barn

I have never understood this type of "fan", maybe it's because I am/was an athlete myself but I don't get the appeal of taunting other fans. If I got a ticket to Kohl Center for a game in which the Gophers clinched the B1G title, I'd be cheering my lungs out for the Gophers. It would never occur to me to taunt the Badger fans with chants in their own building, I certainly would have participated in a B1G champs chant and don't begrudge the Badger fans and more importantly their team that at all. I would have had exactly zero to do with the outcome of the game, so why would I taunt someone over it? There are plenty of Gopher fans who would do the same chants, so I am not saying this is just a Badger issue.

I have never understood this type of "fan", maybe it's because I am/was an athlete myself but I don't get the appeal of taunting other fans. If I got a ticket to Kohl Center for a game in which the Gophers clinched the B1G title, I'd be cheering my lungs out for the Gophers. It would never occur to me to taunt the Badger fans with chants in their own building, I certainly would have participated in a B1G champs chant and don't begrudge the Badger fans and more importantly their team that at all. I would have had exactly zero to do with the outcome of the game, so why would I taunt someone over it? There are plenty of Gopher fans who would do the same chants, so I am not saying this is just a Badger issue.

+19

UW Students Chant "NIT" at the Barn

These early games just destroy the home crowd atmosphere. It takes until halftime for most of the fans to get seated. That with the poor shooting at the start kept the crowd out of the game.

There was a pocket of red up in one corner that made all the noise. Like you said, their taunting of the home fans makes you just want to punch every red idiot on your way out of the arena.

It is tough on us being the major source of jobs in the area. Brings in a lot of transplants wearing red or black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only good way to respond to something like that is to chant about their quality of life.

I was trying to see if I could come up with a chant about Walker cutting their funding but couldn't come up with anything.

The only good way to respond to something like that is to chant about their quality of life.

I was trying to see if I could come up with a chant about Walker cutting their funding but couldn't come up with anything.
I thought about chanting, "you got walker" but...
It's not just the early start, it's the poor start to the season that leaves our fan base "weak" and leaves lots of ticket availability.

That said,this was the travel game for their student section and they simply behaved exactly as they would for a home game - so they chanted what they thought would make the free throw shooter miss. They also chanted airball, safety school etc.
Our ticket office sold this bundle of tickets to the UW student section. No point in whining about them. And I sat quite near them so it's not like I didn't have to listen to it every moment. But this wasn't a random gathering of fans. It was a road game for their student section.

The badger fans are just preparing to spend time in Minneapolis since they will have to move here when they graduate.....due to the fact that there are no jobs in Wi and their governor is a moron.

Well done. I wonder if bga1 will have a comment about this if you know what I mean.

Hahaha you know things are grim when the fan response resorts to the standard "they have to move here for jobs!"

Good stuff in this thread. We're sorry your feelings are hurt over the chants badger fans used after beating your team in basketball. Everyone knows gopher fans would never stoop so low if they were to actually win.

The badger fans are just preparing to spend time in Minneapolis since they will have to move here when they graduate.....due to the fact that there are no jobs in Wi and their governor is a moron.
Wouldn't that then mean that there's an enormous contingent of UW Alum living in the Twin Cities?... filling up unused seats for the Gophers when the Badgers come to town?

Hahaha you know things are grim when the fan response resorts to the standard "they have to move here for jobs!"

Good stuff in this thread. We're sorry your feelings are hurt over the chants badger fans used after beating your team in basketball. Everyone knows gopher fans would never stoop so low if they were to actually win.

I remember one thing from last year, during an NCAA game in March, one of the guys (I think it was GA???) who said how Wisconsin wins games because of all the garbage mind games that Ryan plays at the sideline. I honestly don't see how you guys can be proud of this brand of basketball. It is boring, ugly and dishonest.

The real issue is that The Gophers have not built a long tradition of success. They have a very mediocre history in basketball. That is not to say that it can not be done. It can be but the vital piece is hiring that rare extraordinary coach. Far too soon to have any way of knowing if that has yet been done. Seems only to occur with a very bright AD that has the vision and the search contacts to find the coaches. UW had Pat Richter who then went on a mission to hire Barry Alvarez. From there they went for a facilities fund for the Kohl Center which came together quickly when some very savvy basketball folks (namely ab Nicholsas) tied the funding to the ability to Hire a master program builder in Dick Bennett and a master coach later in Bo Ryan. The Minnesota community has yet to have those individuals that are connected to brilliant coaching minds come forward with two gifts like UW got which were 100 million and 25 million. UVA did it a different way. They built a extraordinary facility first and then instead of a search firm recommendation of Tubby Smith went with the opinion of a circle of great coaches like Coach K, Bob Knight, Bill Self etc.. on who would be a great fit a UVA and they all came up with the name of Tony Bennett. The hire needs to be the guy who will make Minnesota his lifetime job, not a stepping stone or a soft landing spot. I would love for UM to become a power program for decades. It would be great for the Big 10 and for the state.

If we would stop consistently getting outplayed by them in football and basketball (when was the last time we finished higher than them in the conference in either sport?), then we would make it much tougher for them to make fun of us. As long as we continue to wet the bed, we set ourselves up for getting made fun of.

Your wrong. UW wins with precision of fundamentals unequaled. They never beat themselves. Your forced to beat a team who make very few mistakes and that is something Coach Ryan understands in a way that is very much like Bob Knight. Work for great open looks on offense , take care of the ball, do not foul ( those are like turnovers) and then limit good shots on defense. It is a simple plan that very difficult to execute because it requires a discipline of content drilling of fundamentals that a lot of AAU stars lack or will not drill for. That is why Ryan is a great recruiter. He values simple things like catching the ball, footwork, spacing and intelligence and recruits with those things at the forefront.

This will be a very interesting NCAA for Wisconsin. This is Bo's last (I hope) and greatest (pretty sure on that) chance. I am hoping for a flame-out but they could win it all.

Football - 2003
Basketball - 1992-93

Yikes. Thanks for answering the question, but now I'm going to hold you responsible for the nausea those numbers give me for the rest of the day. Our athletic department needs to get their crap together, both of those are unacceptable.

This is on the Gophers, not the Badgers fans. I hate EVERYTHING Wisconsin and yes this upsets me but start winning and this won't be an issue.

I thought about chanting, "you got walker" but...
It's not just the early start, it's the poor start to the season that leaves our fan base "weak" and leaves lots of ticket availability.

That said,this was the travel game for their student section and they simply behaved exactly as they would for a home game - so they chanted what they thought would make the free throw shooter miss. They also chanted airball, safety school etc.
Our ticket office sold this bundle of tickets to the UW student section. No point in whining about them. And I sat quite near them so it's not like I didn't have to listen to it every moment. But this wasn't a random gathering of fans. It was a road game for their student section.

Really can't go with the Walker thing because Walker > Dayton; and it's not close.

Your wrong. UW wins with precision of fundamentals unequaled. They never beat themselves. Your forced to beat a team who make very few mistakes and that is something Coach Ryan understands in a way that is very much like Bob Knight. Work for great open looks on offense , take care of the ball, do not foul ( those are like turnovers) and then limit good shots on defense. It is a simple plan that very difficult to execute because it requires a discipline of content drilling of fundamentals that a lot of AAU stars lack or will not drill for. That is why Ryan is a great recruiter. He values simple things like catching the ball, footwork, spacing and intelligence and recruits with those things at the forefront.

The wonder of a University of Wisconsin education everybody.

Yikes. Thanks for answering the question, but now I'm going to hold you responsible for the nausea those numbers give me for the rest of the day. Our athletic department needs to get their crap together, both of those are unacceptable.

100% this. These numbers need to change and soon. Everything is cyclical...but it's time for MN to start being competitive and make this a rivalry again. Not real fun when you know your chances of getting beat by WI are pretty high in football and basketball year in and year out.

It is not cyclical. In 100 years there have been 3 conference championships !

Hey Buckers, Just be glad that you have lived in a time of stability for your BB and Football teams. The Gophs have been in turmoil in recent history, but are now entering an age of stability. If you get too carried away, just envision the days of the Roy Rogers warm ups with the tassel hanging from the arms. Those were awful!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We've got funding. Yes we do. We've got funding. How bout you?"
yes, this is going to a huge problem for UW. Already is. They're going to be losing faculty, and certainly are probably already failing to attract new top notch people. But that brand of conservative has it in for intelligent people, which reaches pretty destructive proportions when you're looking at higher education.

UW has an excellent team this year. And, as we saw in the loss to Rutgers, they're going to have problems next year without Kaminsky who is amazing.

I guess it depends on how one defines "problems". Not having a Final Four caliber team? In that regard, sure, the Badgers won't be anywhere near what they are this season, especially if Dekker moves on. But this is a special team, the kind that don't come around all that often unless your name is Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke. Will be interesting to see if they (at minimum) can follow up one Final Four trip with another one.

Sadly, one thing we do know is whoever Bo puts out there next season they'll be ready to play and produce. That never changes.

Top Bottom