PiPress: Q&A with defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the PiPress:

Q: How about your linebackers?

A: I just don't know how that's all going to play out. We lost Damien (Wilson), and he took most of those snaps for the last two years. Everett (Williams) did start against Iowa and did play well. I think he will have a great opportunity to take that spot. It's behind him (in the depth chart) where I don't know what is going to happen. We have to decide as a staff what we're going to do with Cody Poock. Do we put him in there with Everett, or do we put De'Niro Laster in there with Everett? Who do we put in there and let them compete?

If all else fails, Jack Lynn can go in there and play. I don't anticipate it being a problem, but if it is Jack, he could go in there and play because we still have De'Vondre (Campbell) and then Jon Celestin is a good player and continues to get bigger and has had a great offseason. He could play on the outside.

We have the bodies and kids that are capable of playing. Ray Dixon, a redshirt sophomore, will have an opportunity on the edge. Julian Huff is another kid that has a chance to get into the rotation. We tell the kids every spring when we open up, everything is new and you have to go out there and compete and win your spot back.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27643672/gophers-football-q-defensive-coordinator-tracy-claeys

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like Williams is the favorite to start in the middle as of now. I like that we'll have better depth at LB this year though, last year it was our top 3 and then a big drop off. A lot of competition that's for sure.

Sounds like Williams is the favorite to start in the middle as of now. I like that we'll have better depth at LB this year though, last year it was our top 3 and then a big drop off. A lot of competition that's for sure.

I didn't see a drop off against Iowa when Williams was in there.

I'd be surprised if our starting 3 weren't Lynn, Poock, and Campbell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be surprised if our starting 3 weren't Lynn, Poock, and Campbell.

We talked about this earlier, but is there a reason you think this other than watching them all play? No inside info or anything?

I look at it this way: Maybe (big maybe) our LB play takes a small step back this year, I think the increase in our d line play will make it up for it in many cases.

We talked about this earlier, but is there a reason you think this other than watching them all play? No inside info or anything?

I look at it this way: Maybe (big maybe) our LB play takes a small step back this year, I think the increase in our d line play will make it up for it in many cases.

No inside info. Lynn and Campbell were starters last year. Poock was expected to be a starter before getting hurt. Could Williams win the job? Sure - kids make the leap all the time. All I'm saying is I would be surprised if we didn't go Poock - Lynn - Campbell.

I didn't see a drop off against Iowa when Williams was in there.

IIRC, the only series Iowa scored (before the last minute of the game) was the series Williams was in. I think Wilson was late to a meeting, so he didn't start that game.

Top Bottom