Best Jerry-isms

WestTexasGopher

Reaction score
In another thread, beavergopher noted "Another Jerry-ism, 'leaned up.'" Got me thinking-we've got an extremely quotable coach who is apt to contort language into neologisms and make great down-to-earth statements that are wonderfully memorable. I searched and could find no thread for this.

So, what are your favorite Jerry-isms? Or should it be "Kill-isms"?

"if it’s 3rd down and 3 and they're going to put 9 men down in the box, let’s run play action and try and stroke the post."

During an open practice I witnessed this exchange which tickled my funny bone. During a kickoff Jerry didn't appreciate that Youshoub Timms shuffled his feet when he met his blocker instead of trying to run through him. Jerry blew the whistle, pulled him aside and yelled "what is this?" (shuffling his feet) "There is no this" (again, shuffling his feet). "If you want to do this (another shuffle) I'll pick you up and we'll take you to disco night".

1) I'd be shocked if Timms knew what disco was.
2) Based on Kill's shuffling, I don't know if he knows what disco was.
3) The image of Kill and Timms in "Staying Alive" suits heading to the disco club.

At least it gave me a good chuckle.

Hey, are you two going to that dance contest, that damn dance contest? Lets Go!

0:53

"if it’s 3rd down and 3 and they're going to put 9 men down in the box, let’s run play action and try and stroke the post."

It is "Stroke the Post" for me as well. :cool:

1) I'd be shocked if Timms knew what disco was.
2) Based on Kill's shuffling, I don't know if he knows what disco was.
3) The image of Kill and Timms in "Staying Alive" suits heading to the disco club.

Excellent!

One of my all-time favorites: "he couldn't beat a dead snake." This might be my favorite thread ever. WTG (way to go), WTG (West Texas Gopher)! I'll have to look, but I have many I've collected over the years.

I noticed in the paper the other day, when referring to Duke Anyanwu, he was quoted "he hasn't lost an ounce of speed, not an ounce".

I remember seeing Kill interviewed and the reporter asked him about coaching up the talent he had on the roster. I expected some politically correct answer about maximizing what they had or something. Instead, Jerry said this:

"When we was at Southern Illinois, and maybe we weren't doing so well right at first. Maybe I was hanging my head a lil bit. I had a mentor there, a man I really respected. He caught me on the field after a bad loss and he said......"Hey Coach, you're gonna have to get some better players, you ain't gonna win with those guys."

My personal favorite (that's I've now stolen and am using myself) is "I hear what you say, but I trust what you do".

Jerry may have surpassed Brewster in nearly every measurable way on the football field, but I'm not sure any coach will ever eclipse Brew's one liners.

Van Brocklin was my all-time favorite. "Quit that high school Harry crap!!!"

Jerry may have surpassed Brewster in nearly every measurable way on the football field, but I'm not sure any coach will ever eclipse Brew's one liners.

And this is a good thing! I'm glad our coach is better known for his coaching than his ridiculous sayings.

If you want some....
Oh wait wrong coach
Stroke the Post is great. Also like Lightning in a Bottle, but thing he might have over used that one because every time Berk is on the field I am waiting to see what lightning in a bottle looks like and never see it.

See my sig below...
Jerry said this to the team before hitting the field in LA against USC in his first game as head coach of the Gophers on 9/3/11.

That video of Jerry talking to the team before the USC game was the first moment I realized we have a great coach here. I agree- "IYDHSIYA you ain't human!" has got to be my favorite too.

First year, he absolutely screamed at a running back for not hustling back to the huddle. He went from red faced rage to country Jer in a second and said, "I like ya though, I like you a lot."

First year, he absolutely screamed at a running back for not hustling back to the huddle. He went from red faced rage to country Jer in a second and said, "I like ya though, I like you a lot."

Lol. I remember that clip too. It was a good one. Player was Kirkwood I believe.

This was a quote from a 2011 Strib article about Kill's upbringing in Cheney, KS and the influence his father had on him:

"The president of the company sent a private plane to Michigan to get him (Kill's father)back home. How many laborers do you know who they'd do that for?" Jerry Kill says. "He was too weak to walk. He hadn't been out of bed for two weeks, but when they took him to the plane, wearing his Saginaw football cap, that sumbitch got up and walked to the plane."

I hadn't hear the word sumbitch since I was a youngster riding along with my dad during fall harvest while the farmers shot the breeze inside the local grain elevator waiting for their trucks of corn and beans to be weighed.

All good stuff but I wouldn't count out Jim Geezo-Beezo Wacker as a quotable contender.

I always like when he says "hindsight is 50-50"

"....you know.....that's pretty good right there"

"those schools get to select, we have to rahcroot"

"he can really run"

And one of my favorites from a pregame speech this past season: "What's your reputation on the field? I'm gonna tell you what, you go against the Gophers, nah uh, they're going to hit you in the mouth, play physical football, they're gonna get after your ass for four quarters."

These are old-timers. You had to know him a long time ago!

"He's pissin down a rope"

"Next best thing since sliced bread"

"Hindsight is 50-50"

"It's raining like a striped-ass ape"

"Six in one, half dozen the other"

"I want it burnt in stone"

"There's no question about that." (Not his best quote but his most used and abused one.)

By the way, he was standing on the sidelines today and the assistants who kept fans back were pushing people back and Kill jokingly jumped back, too. Then he said, "I can coach from way back here just as well as I can out on the field."

All good stuff but I wouldn't count out Jim Geezo-Beezo Wacker as a quotable contender.

"My heart is pumping and my corpuscles are jumping and it really is a wonderful time" - Wackerism

Top Bottom