Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 2015 Season Opener v TCU

OK friends, the Princess and I are making our plans to visit the Twin cities next year for the TCU game. We will stay at the Grand in Minneapolis for about a week (Tues-Sunday or Monday). Could you please recommend restaurants and activities? What are the best high end places to eat? We are child-free.

I'm looking forward to the game. Outside of Minnesota, the Gophers had no bigger fans than Horned Frogs last year.

Happy to see you're coming up to Minnesota for the game Prince! If you're a baseball fan, the twins have a series against the white sox 9/1-9/3.

Quote Originally Posted by Com_Cool View Post
    Happy to see you're coming up to Minnesota for the game Prince! If you're a baseball fan, the twins have a series against the white sox 9/1-9/3.
    Com_Cool is right on the money. You haffta hit Target Field for a Twins game while here, and at the game make sure you have a Murray's steak sandwich. You will NOT be disappointed.
    I'll say it again...So many experts, so little expertise.

Blog Entries

Manny's for steaks (bucco bucks), Melting Pot for fundue, Fogo De Chao if you are a true meat connosieur.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Purpoole View Post
    OK friends, the Princess and I are making our plans to visit the Twin cities next year for the TCU game. We will stay at the Grand in Minneapolis for about a week (Tues-Sunday or Monday). Could you please recommend restaurants and activities? What are the best high end places to eat? We are child-free.

I'm looking forward to the game. Outside of Minnesota, the Gophers had no bigger fans than Horned Frogs last year.
    If you're at all into beer, you should check out Northeast Minneapolis. New breweries keep popping up seemingly every week, and I'm a huge fan of Indeed, Dangerous Man, and Sociable Cider Werks. Bauhaus and 612Brew are around the same area as well. Surly (likely Minnesota's most critically acclaimed brewery) just opened a huge taproom/brewpub about a mile from TCF Bank Stadium. It has been packed since it opened, and I don't doubt that it will be even busier on game days.

For upscale food in Minneapolis, I'd recommend Haute Dish, Butcher & The Boar, Bar La Grassa, Bachelor Farmer, and Restaurant Alma. I'd also recommend spending an afternoon around Minnehaha Park. There's a restaurant called Sea Salt in a little shack right by Minnehaha Falls that is incredibly popular. It's a great spot to grab a beer and some of the best seafood in the Twin Cities.

Your hotel isn't too far from Target Field, and if the Twins end up stinking again this year, you should be able to find some very reasonable tickets.

Also, if you're going to be in Minneapolis for a week, you should definitely spend at least a day in and around Saint Paul. Check out the Science Museum of Minnesota--it's a great spot. For St. Paul food, I'd recommend Muddy Pig, Happy Gnome, W.A. Frost, and Ward 6.

6. Default

Sometimes the very astute folks on GopherHole miss the mark; sometimes badly so. Although the previous suggestions are worthy, they do indeed fall short.

You used "high end places" and "Princess in the same paragraph. There is one place, and only one place that fits this request....and don't let anyone tell you different.

THE MINNESOTA STATE FAIR

The menu is waaaaay to extensive for recommendations. You will need Tums; but you will NOT be disappointed.

7. Default

Spot on with state fair. Gotta hit that up.

My wife and I like to rent those nice bikes and bar/restaurant hop. Usually around Northeast.

If you're there for a week I might be tempted to leave the cities for a night or two. Go up north to the lake, or maybe the north shore, or heck even red wing?

Default Not exactly

Quote Originally Posted by greatdane1973 View Post
    Sometimes the very astute folks on GopherHole miss the mark; sometimes badly so. Although the previous suggestions are worthy, they do indeed fall short.

You used "high end places" and "Princess in the same paragraph. There is one place, and only one place that fits this request....and don't let anyone tell you different.

THE MINNESOTA STATE FAIR

The menu is waaaaay to extensive for recommendations. You will need Tums; but you will NOT be disappointed.
    I like Tripadvisor for determining my choices. Reading the comments gives you a pretty good feel for what to expect.
    #1 Manny's #2 Captial Grill #3 Butcher & Boar would be my top 3 don't miss higher end stops.

9. Default

If you like beer, you need to go to Surly. Next to the U. There beer hall has fantastic food, and their restaurant is going to have a high end menu that pairs with the beer on tap.

I would also suggest Bachelor Farmer as a great spot to eat. Union has a great rooftop with a retractable roof. It makes for an interesting atmosphere. If you are willing to drive outside the city, Pig ate my Pizza is another good spot.

10. Default

Hit up the smorgasbord at the Jolly Troll.

11. Default

Glad you're coming to the game! It'll be an exciting launch to what we are anticipating to be a memorable season, and we look forward to rooting for TCU after Sept. 4! : )

Go to Murray's steak house in Minneapolis. It's a long-time institution in Minnesota and (unlike Fogo, Morton's, etc.) is not a chain. Guthrie Theater, Walker Art Center (adjacent) and Sculpture Garden (also adjacent) are good cultural activities. Stroll around "uptown" Minneapolis (Hennepin and Lake St.) and Lake Calhoun, which is a great scene on weekends. Some good comedy clubs in that area as well.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGopher View Post
    Glad you're coming to the game! It'll be an exciting launch to what we are anticipating to be a memorable season, and we look forward to rooting for TCU after Sept. 4! : )

Go to Murray's steak house in Minneapolis. It's a long-time institution in Minnesota and (unlike Fogo, Morton's, etc.) is not a chain. Guthrie Theater, Walker Art Center (adjacent) and Sculpture Garden (also adjacent) are good cultural activities. Stroll around "uptown" Minneapolis (Hennepin and Lake St.) and Lake Calhoun, which is a great scene on weekends. Some good comedy clubs in that area as well.
    These are all great ideas. If you want a fun afternoon or early evening, you will really enjoy the huge patio overlooking the river at Psycho Suzie's, a bar/restaurant about 1 mile north of Target Field. The patio is high above the Mississippi river, the menu is pretty cool, people can bring their dogs, and you will see some interesting tattoos and piercings. It is really a fun place to sit outside and have a drink.

My new favorite steak place is Burch Steak at the corner of Hennepin and Franklin. The Uptown area is pretty cool area to hit, Chino Latino, Stella's and a couple other good options. Plus you can walk around Lake of the Isles and Lake Calhoun over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Don View Post
    Com_Cool is right on the money. You haffta hit Target Field for a Twins game while here, and at the game make sure you have a Murray's steak sandwich. You will NOT be disappointed.
    I hate to disagree with the good Dr. but I'm not a fan of the Target Field Murray's steak sandwich. It is different from the steak sandwich at the restaurant 2 blocks away, but the difference in quality is miles different...if it wouldn't kill me, I would have the Murray's steak sandwich slathered in bacon and cheese every.single.day. And that's after gorging myself on the crispy garlic toast.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGopher View Post
    Guthrie Theater, Walker Art Center (adjacent) and Sculpture Garden (also adjacent) are good cultural activities.
    The Guthrie Theater is no longer attached to the Walker or the Sculpture Garden. It closed in 2006 (at that location) and reopened on the 2nd St. a few miles away, near the Mississippi river. It's too early in the season to have a good calendar of events for the week you are here. However, the Walker and the Sculpture Garden are stops you should make, especially the iconic shot that you should take, or have someone take of you and the princess at the sculpture garden:

There is no dearth of "high end" places to eat, however, there is a great variety, and some of those might not be high end. For example, I know people who go crazy over the lobster roll at Smack Shack, which is fantastic, but not "fancy" or "high end". It would be instructive to learn more about what you're looking for, and I would encourage you to seek out some local things like the previously mentioned Sea Salt, which is right next to the Minnehaha Falls:

It's a lovely park and the falls meander into the Mississippi river as well.

The Twin Cities is a large metro area with a lot to offer, and as posters here have mentioned, if you have the desire to see more of the state, heading a few hours north to Duluth or beyond would be worth your time. You could just as easily head down to Red Wing (stay at the St. James), drive down highway 61, following the river and probably see more bald eagles than you can count.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but there are many diverse options here, from truly high end places to grittier but no less enjoyable options in Northeast, Uptown, many areas in St. Paul etc. etc. etc.

This is Minnesota after all, so we're all happy to help, and we'll help you find any place.
    by station19 - Quit talking stupid.

Blog Entries

For a good Sunday brunch, go to Jax's Cafe in NE Mpls (love their applewood bacon!). It is a 1930's family owned landmark.

The Twin Cities has a pretty decent theater scene.

If you like dinner theater, go to Chanhassen Dinner Theater (main dinner theater).

Check out the State or Orpheum theaters on Hennepin Avenue downtown Mpls. Sometimes, they bring Broadway plays from NYC and vice versa.

There is also Mixed Blood Theater and Theatre De La June Lune.

If you are into mystery dinner theaters, check out the The Mystery Cafe or The Dinner Detective Minneapolis.

The Minnesota State Fair is a must see.

Shopping-wise, need I mention the Mall Of America in Bloomington. There is also the new Eagan Outlet Mall that just opened last year down the road from MOA on Cedar Avenue and Highway Thirteen North.