Bubblicious Wednesday: 3 Teams Can Lock Up Bids Tonight

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Tuesday Review
#27 Dayton beats #66 Rhode Island -- Flyers join my "lock" list, which now includes 27 teams. URI remains the longest of longshots.

#35 Iowa wins @ #54 Indiana -- Hawkeyes become Big Ten's 3rd lock. Those boos cascading down from Assembly Hall weren't coming from IU fans longing for for a NIT bid.

#36 Georgia loses to Kentucky -- Game effort by UGA. I could probably lock in the Bulldogs, but I'll wait to make sure they beat Auburn in regular-season finale.

#45 Ole Miss wins @ Alabama -- If Rebels beat Vandy this weekend, I think they're on pretty solid footing.

#46 Texas A&M loses @ Florida -- "Paper tiger" Aggies' resume is the pure definition of NIT. Absent 2 quality wins in the SEC Tournament, this team shouldn't sniff the Big Dance.

#48 NC State wins @ Clemson -- Despite 12 losses, it's possible I'll move the Wolfpack to the "lock" group if they take care of business vs. Syracuse on Saturday.

Wednesday on the Bubble (Sparty, Saint John's, and Oregon can join "lock" list)
#34 Ohio State @ Penn State, 5 (BTN) -- Buckeyes need this to keep comfortable distance from the bubble.

Tennessee @ #47 LSU, 6 (SECN) -- Tigers need this one, then probably just 1 in SEC tourney.

#64 Richmond @ #68 Massachusetts, 6:30 (GetTV) -- I'm being kind putting both on the bubble.

#59 Purdue @ #30 Michigan State, 7 (BTN) -- Sparty in an interesting & unusual spot. Become B1G's 4th lock with a win, but a loss (would be 3rd straight) means there'd be serious pressure to win finale in Bloomington.

#71 Miami-Florida @ #50 Pitt, 7 -- With that RPI Hurricanes pretty much toast with a loss. Could probably say the same for Panthers.

#49 Cincinnati @ #31 Tulsa, 8 (CBSSN) -- This almost feels like a play-in game.

#40 Saint John's @ Marquette, 8 (FS1) -- I'm lockin' in Lav's gritty bunch if they avoid the bad loss in Milwaukee.

TCU @ #42 Oklahoma State, 8 (ESPNU) -- Cowboys' resume is plenty strong enough (6 RPI top-50 wins), but they'd be wise to snap that 4-game losing streak.

USC @ #52 UCLA, 8 (ESPN2) -- Bruins must win, then need 1 or 2 more in Las Vegas.

#26 Colorado State @ Nevada, 9 -- Rams' resume is quite pedestrian despite gaudy RPI. Their mission, if they choose to accept it, is to continue avoiding bad losses.

Nebraska @ #61 Illinois, 9 (BTN) -- Lock of the night? The Illini will manhandle the tanking Huskers, setting up a weekend showdown with Purdue in West Lafayette.

#32 Oregon @ Oregon State, 10 (ESPNU) -- Red-hot Ducks will have to earn their "lock" status, as Corvallis has become a tough place to play.

Gophers Daily RPI Report
Tuesday: 76
Today: 78 (3-6 vs. RPI top 50; 5-9 vs. RPI top 100; #62 overall SOS; #204 non-conference SOS)

Top Bottom