PiPress: RB Jeff Jones makes good first impression

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the PiPres:

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill was asked which players stood out after their first spring practice Tuesday.

"Jeff Jones was kind of amazing, that he could pick things up that quick, because he hasn't practiced with us one time," Kill said.

Jones was the University of Minnesota's top recruit in the 2014 class, but the four-star Minneapolis Washburn running back was not eligible in fall semester. He earned eligibility for spring semester and thus the opportunity to be a part of spring practice.

After Tuesday's opening practice, Kill walked off with Jones and told him he did a good job. Jones replied, "No I didn't, Coach," Kill relayed.

"He's a perfectionist," Kill said.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_27637145/gophers-football-rb-jeff-jones-makes-good-first

Go Gophers!!

Good news, sounds like he has the right attitude.

Tommy Olson also said on kfan that JJ was impressive in the first practice and thinks that JJ and Nugget are going to be 1a/1b this year. Obviously he's just guessing on that, but it's nice to hear that other players were impressed with JJ.

How the heck would Tommy Olson know who is 1a & 1b at this point? There running around in underwear,alot of guys look good running around in underwear. How about we wait until the armor comes on and we see how guys respond when guys like Jack Lynn,D.Travis come up and ring there bell.

How the heck would Tommy Olson know who is 1a & 1b at this point? There running around in underwear,alot of guys look good running around in underwear. How about we wait until the armor comes on and we see how guys respond when guys like Jack Lynn,D.Travis come up and ring there bell.

I've seen videos and pictures, and I didn't notice anyone running around in underwear. I saw guys wearing helmets and shoulder pads, but no one in underwear that I could see.

I've seen videos and pictures, and I didn't notice anyone running around in underwear. I saw guys wearing helmets and shoulder pads, but no one in underwear that I could see.

Shoulder pads don't come on until Saturday.

Not sure what pictures and videos you were watching from yesterdays practice but they clearly showed jeff jones and berkley edwards were NOT wearing shoulder pads. Jones at least had his jersey on. Edwards was just in a compression top, which is worn under their pads and jerseys so technically he was running around in just his "underwear"...

While no, the three deeps haven't been announced; taking Kill's comments along with what TO saw last year with Nugget and what Limey has said, one could say they're in the hunt.

An experienced coach can see a lot - even at the first practice. How much have they worked on fundamentals, in the weight room, and opened the playbook. That along with their athleticism in the past, really gives strong hints as to how the future looks.

When Kill took over Brewsters mess; there were a lot of out of shape and disorganized player personnel that most of the time was spent on just basic fundamentals. Coach Kill spent most of his time managing expectations the first few years.

I don't know about some of you, but I do NOT watch guys running around in their underwear.

How the heck would Tommy Olson know who is 1a & 1b at this point?
He didn't say he knew, said he thought that those would be the RBs. He's still got a lot of buddies on the team and knows much more about what's going on than anyone on here.

That's because you weren't invited to the After-after party...:eek:

This thread provided me with a new signature.

One of the tricks of evaluating FB players is figuring out the difference between "practice" players and "gamers." There are guys who look great running around in shells, but they aren't so good when the pads go on. Some players can look good in practice, but for some reason, it doesn't carry over to games. And, some guys don't look so great in practice, but put them in a game situation and the light goes on. A good coach is able to figure out what category each player belongs in, and coach them accordingly.

One of the tricks of evaluating FB players is figuring out the difference between "practice" players and "gamers." There are guys who look great running around in shells, but they aren't so good when the pads go on. Some players can look good in practice, but for some reason, it doesn't carry over to games. And, some guys don't look so great in practice, but put them in a game situation and the light goes on. A good coach is able to figure out what category each player belongs in, and coach them accordingly.

Short Ornery Norwegian - I agree with you. But it looks like Claeys does not, saying that there are "no gamers at U of M." Sounds like players had better show it in practice first or they will not see the field in a game. http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Yeah Doc, way to go!:p

Thanks for the laugh! On the other hand it may just be your way of getting even with Doc for stealing Big Ole's horn. I was glad to see this weekend that you got it back from him.

Thanks for the laugh! On the other hand it may just be your way of getting even with Doc for stealing Big Ole's horn. I was glad to see this weekend that you got it back from him.

Station19, Parski (our undercover agent), and I plundered New Ulm and attacked Hermann the German, and found, recovered, and brought Big Ole's horn home. It wasn't easy, but we did it.

Before the final plunder, we had ribs at the Kaisserhoff.

This thread provided me with a new signature.
"A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

jonathan-meme-generator-creepy-guy-creepy-intentions-b218e5.png

What was this thread about again? Aww, nevermind. I don't care. This thread is awesome. Nothing like a good belly laugh in the morning.

From ESPN
4. Jeff Jones (Minnesota) -- With the departure of David Cobb, the race to be the starting tailback for the Gophers is wide-open. Jones, a former ESPN 300 RB, may be the youngest contender in a position of depth, but also may be the most talented, which will earn him a role in some capacity. He has size and speed and with more experience, he should see more touches.

Top Bottom