All Things 2015 Gophers Spring Practice: Tweets, Links, Analysis, Video & More

Can we expect Mitch to improve if he still can't throw a spiral? You need to throw a spiral to be good.

I was chatting most of the practice but some quick observations....

- Rodrick Williams is much leaner and was getting tons of reps. Anyone who thinks he's just a short yardage back is wrong.

- Jeff Jones made some nice jukes. He left Everett Williams in the dust on one play in particular. Jones also got destroyed by Celestin coming through the hole once and the whole practice went "ooohhhh". He was a little slow getting up and needed a minute to get himself together. One hell of a hit.

- Leidner was throwing a lot of ducks but they were all right where they needed to be. The exception is he threw one floater to the right flat that was picked and would have gone for a TD the other way in a game. The intended receiver Eric Carter didn't out up much of a fight for the ball though.

- Streveler's motion looks cleaner, but he just doesn't have the same zip on the ball as Mitch or Perra.

- Hard to tell much from a practice like this, but Perra looked solid.

- I didn't see much of Duke today, but Lingen got a lot of work and Nick Hart #45 got some reps. Wozniak is hard to miss at 6'10" and got plenty of work as well

- Gentry's knee is good now and physically he looks a little sturdier. He needed a red-shirt.

- Melvin Holland got a lot of work and caught some tough passes in traffic. He's going to be a very good player.

- Wolitarsky caught a nice bomb from Leidner down the right sideline over BBC. Impressive.

- OL 1st unit was LT-Lauer, LG-Bjorklund, C-Bobek, RG-Connor Mayes, RT-Pirsig. Couldn't see the second team OL well, but Matt Leidner was the Center, with Tyler Moore at RG. Christenson and Campion were out today.

- DL 1st unit was DE-Cochran, DT-Richardson, DT-Stelter, DE-H. Ekpe. 2nd Unit (from what I could see? Sight lines aren't the greatest from the sideline.) was DE-Keith, DT-Moore, DT-Ndondo-Lay, DE-Elmore.

- LB, Everett Williams was MLB with the 1's, Campbell was SLB of course and I saw both Lynn and Poock out there but wasn't sure who was with which unit. As mentioned Celestin was working a lot with the 2's.

- CB, not much to report. Murray and BBC are the 1's, Myrick and James are the 2's. Everyone looked good, BBC gave up the one long pass. but it was a great pass and great catch.

- Safety, Rogers will step right in and basically act as a veteran. Lot's of basic today and it wasn't much of a challenge for him. Jacob (or is it Julian?) Huff got some reps at Safety as well.

- Crowd was good. Lot's of coaches, lot's of big kids in letterman jackets. Coughlin, Barber, Kegel and Schluester were all hanging with Coach Sherels. Pace of practice is very fast. Everyone runs everywhere. They get more reps per practice this way.

Wow, this was awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

- Rodrick Williams is much leaner and was getting tons of reps. Anyone who thinks he's just a short yardage back is wrong.

- Jeff Jones made some nice jukes. He left Everett Williams in the dust on one play in particular. Jones also got destroyed by Celestin coming through the hole once and the whole practice went "ooohhhh". He was a little slow getting up and needed a minute to get himself together. One hell of a hit.

- Leidner was throwing a lot of ducks but they were all right where they needed to be. The exception is he threw one floater to the right flat that was picked and would have gone for a TD the other way in a game. The intended receiver Eric Carter didn't out up much of a fight for the ball though.

- Streveler's motion looks cleaner, but he just doesn't have the same zip on the ball as Mitch or Perra.

- I didn't see much of Duke today, but Lingen got a lot of work and Nick Hart #45 got some reps. Wozniak is hard to miss at 6'10" and got plenty of work as well

- Gentry's knee is good now and physically he looks a little sturdier. He needed a red-shirt.

- Melvin Holland got a lot of work and caught some tough passes in traffic. He's going to be a very good player.

- Wolitarsky caught a nice bomb from Leidner down the right sideline over BBC. Impressive.

- OL 1st unit was LT-Lauer, LG-Bjorklund, C-Bobek, RG-Connor Mayes, RT-Pirsig. Couldn't see the second team OL well, but Matt Leidner was the Center, with Tyler Moore at RG. Christenson and Campion were out today.

- DL 1st unit was DE-Cochran, DT-Richardson, DT-Stelter, DE-H. Ekpe. 2nd Unit (from what I could see? Sight lines aren't the greatest from the sideline.) was DE-Keith, DT-Moore, DT-Ndondo-Lay, DE-Elmore.

- LB, Everett Williams was MLB with the 1's, Campbell was SLB of course and I saw both Lynn and Poock out there but wasn't sure who was with which unit. As mentioned Celestin was working a lot with the 2's.

- CB, not much to report. Murray and BBC are the 1's, Myrick and James are the 2's. Everyone looked good, BBC gave up the one long pass. but it was a great pass and great catch.

- Safety, Rogers will step right in and basically act as a veteran. Lot's of basic today and it wasn't much of a challenge for him. Jacob (or is it Julian?) Huff got some reps at Safety as well.

- Crowd was good. Lot's of coaches, lot's of big kids in letterman jackets. Coughlin, Barber, Kegel and Schluester were all hanging with Coach Sherels. Pace of practice is very fast. Everyone runs everywhere. They get more reps per practice this way.

Practice rules state "No posting of comments re players or plays. Failure to comply may result in closing practices." Appreciate your comments but worry it may cost us.

Can we expect Mitch to improve if he still can't throw a spiral? You need to throw a spiral to be good.

Hey, Joe Kapp led the Vikings to a Super Bowl and once threw 7 TD passes in an NFL game throwing pretty much nuttin but wounded ducks.

Going off of CRG, when Jeff jukes Everrett Williams I was standing next to Myrick and he goes "Damn! He'll f*ck you up!" Had a juke on Craig James too. Also noticed after a play Poock had an exchange of words with Jeff probably teaching the freshman a lesson.

I agree that Holland had some nice catches and Gentry looks healthy. Eric Carter had some nice catches. Duke looked healthy and was solid. Cavonte Johnson had a nice pick. Gary Moore jumped offsides in 11 on 11 and Phelps goes "That's embarrassing Gary!." Also I didn't see what happened but heard Limegrover yelled "What the hell are you doing!" to Alex Mayes. Looked like former Washburn coach Giovanni Jenkins was active at practice. Barber, Coughlin, Kegel and Schueter were all huddled up with Dovich, Connelly and Johannesson for parts of practice. Trent pink, Philip Howard and Levonte Taylor were there. The Leidner bomb to Woli was impressive that CRG mentioned. Demarius Travis looked physical but thats nothing new.

Also noticed that Weber threw a much better ball than any of the QBs.

Practice rules state "No posting of comments re players or plays. Failure to comply may result in closing practices." Appreciate your comments but worry it may cost us.

Call me a Debbie Downer but had the exact same thought.

I like it but would not want to have GH be the cause of closing the doors till the Spring Game.

I do think recalling though that when Summer Camp came they were closed all the way through.

Anyway, love the detail but I guess we'll know soon enough if this is too much.

LOL - wren would really appreciate that. I have only one question - How did it bounce? Just joking people! I think it is wonderful that Adam is back. The last thing we need to do is have reruns of one of wrens favorite topics. I know that wasn't your attention.

You might have a point here, Halsey. I don't know.

If Coach Kill thinks it is too much, he will notify GopherHole admin with the message, and GH admin will pass the word on to ALL of us.

Wow....it just dawned on me, lol. I was watching a DB drill and they had some coach I didn't recognize throwing balls that the DB's would come back to to intercept. The coach was throwing absolute bullets and I thought "That guy throws a better ball than any of our current QB's.". It was Weber. :eek:

Don't worry, it's fine. I posted several of these last year and the year before, as have other posters. If you buy a membership at GI this is very similar to what they do after every practice as well.

Describing opinion of plays made is fine, but quoting coaches and players likely crosses the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the notes, CRG!

Wow....it just dawned on me, lol. I was watching a DB drill and they had some coach I didn't recognize throwing balls that the DB's would come back to to intercept. The coach was throwing absolute bullets and I thought "That guy throws a better ball than any of our current QB's.". It was Weber. :eek:

You did say they were intercepting the passes....

Don't worry, it's fine. I posted several of these last year and the year before, as have other posters. If you buy a membership at GI this is very similar to what they do after every practice as well.

Thnx GRC. The comments are great. But going to practices is even better. So, I will make a comment. Rodrick Williams is quicker and faster and still a beast. He will be hard to beat out. Parra is going to be someone to deal with.

Great post CRG. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the linebackers in general today looked good.

Thanks. This has been a big topic of conversation, and a position I was a little concerned about. Then it dawned upon me that Kill isn't worried. This has been a position that in the past Kill has gone to the JuCo ranks when he sees a hole that needs to be filled. He seems happy with the squad we have this year in that perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely feel optimistic about our LB group. I think Celestin is going to be a player that is hard to keep off the field.

Thanks for the notes CRG and everyone else!

Anyone have a link to the schedule of remaining practices that are open to the public?

Anyone have a link to the schedule of remaining practices that are open to the public?

Tuesday, March 10, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Thursday, March 12, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Tuesday, March 24, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Thursday, March 26, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Saturday, March 28, 9:50 a.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Tuesday, March 31, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Thursday, April 2, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Saturday, April 4, 9:50 a.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Tuesday, April 7, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Thursday, April 9, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Friday, April 10, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Saturday, April 11, 3 p.m. - Spring Game, TCF Bank Stadium

Friday, April 10, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
Saturday, April 11, 3 p.m. - Spring Game, TCF Bank Stadium

Thanks!

Can't wait for the football season to start. Has anyone ever attended the Spring game before?

How does it usually play out?

Can't wait for the football season to start. Has anyone ever attended the Spring game before?

How does it usually play out?

I've been to most of them over the past decade. Under Kill, the better we get the more boring the Spring Game is, which is fine with me. When he got here it was wide open, everyone plays. Now that we have established guys, it's more about getting the younger guys some time. I don't think any of the first team D, Cobb or Maxx played last year. It's fun to see the new players, but the play (especially on offense) is pretty pedestrian (vanilla offense, inexperienced guys, etc.) This year will be a little more interesting with Jones/Smith and the RS WR's.

That being said, it's a blast. Good weather (hopefully), congregating with fellow Gopher fans, watching live football! They let you on the field for an autograph session after the game, especially cool if you have kids. Last year Andre Hollins and Rachel Banham sat in our vicinity and were gracious to the deluge of kids wanting autographs and pics.

per Joe:

Jones impresses

Freshman running back Jeff Jones might have had his welcome-to-college-football moment Saturday, when he took a handoff and got absolutely de-cleated by linebacker Jonathan Celestin.

But Jones has had some impressive moments, too. He clearly has some burst in those legs and shiftiness. He catches the ball well out of the backfield, and he hasn't looked lost despite being unable to practice last fall when he was ineligible.

"Jeff Jones has done a great job," Limegrover said. "I give that kid a ton of credit. And I give our kids credit. Our guys got together with him and [offensive lineman] Tyler Moore -- some of the new guys -- and those guys did a lot of stuff before we ever hit last Tuesday. So Jeff was further along than I thought. [Fellow freshman RB] Rodney Smith having that year [to practice with the team] has been huge for him. He’s walking around like he’s a veteran now."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/295765781.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom