All Things 2015 Gophers Spring Practice: Tweets, Links, Analysis, Video & More

Just a few things that haven't been mentioned...

I was faked out on the first couple of Mitch's runs and so was the defense. I started watching a little closer and I think Mitch is holding the mesh point a bit longer - until the defense bites. On those first few runs he was all by himself for the first 10 yards while the defense was going the other way.

Holland got a lot of work - I saw him taking snaps with first, second and third string. He dropped one but in general I think he has good hands.

Jones took 5 tries to get his touchdown. He didn't get over his first three times, there was a penalty so the O got first and goal and then Jones got over the line in two more tries. Jones is shifty enough but just is not as big and strong as Nugget. I doubt if they use Jones down near the goal line any more.

All three backs are very good. At this point, Rodrick would start, Smith would get 30% to 40% of the carries at running back and Jones would be coming in for Maye and Smith and perhaps used some as a WR. Kill has said he doesn't want Jones standing next to him on the sidelines. Another way to say that is Jones is not good enough to be our starting RB so lets see where else we can use him. I think Jones is very good but Nugget is clearly our best running back. For those of you who are remembering the Nugget from last year, put that out of your mind - this years version is faster, quicker and pretty good at weaving through traffic.

They were running Edwards a lot on between the tackle plays. I think they are trying to recreate the Chad Spann era. For those of you who didn't see the No. Ill. vrs MN game of 2010, or those of you who have repressed that nightmare, Chad Spann was Northern's RB who gained about 1,000 yards that game. Once he got around end or got through the line, it was off to the races. Edwards could be the same thing but he is not there yet - partly because. as MN4LYFE points out, the defense is really very, very good and because Edwards just isn't finding the holes as well as the other three backs.

I think this defense will be the best in the B10 this year. If a QB takes a half second too long in making their read or in getting rid of the ball they are in danger of a sack or a pick.

Who is the big upgrade on getting pressure this year? Is it coming more form the development of our ends or is it an increase in pressure in the form of blitz due to the trust in the secondary?

Who is the big upgrade on getting pressure this year? Is it coming more form the development of our ends or is it an increase in pressure in the form of blitz due to the trust in the secondary?

Sure sounds like Hank Ekpe will be an upgrade over Amaefula. Kieth being healthier and Elmore having another year shouldn't hurt either.

Sure sounds like Hank Ekpe will be an upgrade over Amaefula. Kieth being healthier and Elmore having another year shouldn't hurt either.

I was sure Keith and Elmore were going to step in for Amafuela, but Hank has blown by them. Darn good depth on the ends.

It's a safe bet that Richardson will get to the QB more frequently as well. Remember he had 18 sacks as a HS Senior.

I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see better pressure on the QB from our DL this season.

Didn't Kill say he was expecting more aggressive LB playcalling as well?

BBC has gotten a bunch of sacks on blitzes this Spring as well. Pretty much every time he blitzes it's a sack.

What does that say about our O line?

Not much, imo. They usually have their hands full with the DL. I think it probably says more about BBC's knack for taking good angles to the QB and a couple Freshmen RB's in the backfield trying to block him.

What does that say about our O line?

The ones I've seen, and the run stuff he had Saturday were due to his perfect timing and disguising of his blitz. If he's that effective during the season, no line would have a chance of stopping him.

Most times the D-line is always ahead of the O-line during this time of year at all levels of football. It's why in most HS all star games with limited practices only allow 4 man fronts with no blitzes. It takes time for the O-line to mesh.

Most times the D-line is always ahead of the O-line during this time of year at all levels of football. It's why in most HS all star games with limited only allow 4 man fronts with no blitzes. It takes time for the O-line to mesh.

And that could be said for defenses vs. offenses in general too. Most times the defense is ahead of of the offense.

BTN had it's spring practice report show on yesterday that I got around to watching. Griffith, when mentioning the production lost from David Cobb, said "Jeff Jones is a guy to keep an eye on at tailback." Dinardo's take: "How about they may be the third best team that we've seen in the conference, East and West. Why? Because of the talent on their defense. They have a real chance to be on the best teams in the Big Ten." When Pizzo brought up the lost production from Maxx Williams, Dinardo replied "A lot of new talent at wide receiver."

I am still slowly adjusting to having a very good defense. Defense wins championships. Championships put butts in the seats. TCF has to become a strong 12th man.

#44 J. Kirsch has been getting a lot of handoffs in practice.

#44 J. Kirsch has been getting a lot of handoffs in practice.

Good observation. At the last Saturday scrimmage the 3rd team offense basically revolved around him. He was getting handoffs, they lined him up in the slot and he caught passes, etc. He was very much the feature back of the 3rd team. What that means, I don't know? My suspicion is it doesn't mean a whole lot. They want to get lot's of reps for their 3rd team OL, but don't want to risk Berkley/Jones/Smith running behind them?

Good observation. At the last Saturday scrimmage the 3rd team offense basically revolved around him. He was getting handoffs, they lined him up in the slot and he caught passes, etc. He was very much the feature back of the 3rd team. What that means, I don't know? My suspicion is it doesn't mean a whole lot. They want to get lot's of reps for their 3rd team OL, but don't want to risk Berkley/Jones/Smith running behind them?

I'm not sure it means much either. I've been to many practices and a Spring Game where Cole Banham was the bell cow.

It means something if he was productive.

Anybody hear Kill on KFAN today? I came in the middle of what he was saying. He said Jeff Jones made 2 spectacular catches in their scrimmage. He said the hurry up has helped everyone concentrate better & also has helped the defense. He said Jon Christianson is a new man with the rod out of his leg. Talked about Nate doing well. Said no one could ever overthrow him. In general very upbeat tone. Remember the first year when we had all the guys in brown jerseys with old lettering? Remember how own Kill was on the talent?

Anybody hear Kill on KFAN today? I came in the middle of what he was saying. He said Jeff Jones made 2 spectacular catches in their scrimmage. He said the hurry up has helped everyone concentrate better & also has helped the defense. He said Jon Christianson is a new man with the rod out of his leg. Talked about Nate doing well. Said no one could ever overthrow him. In general very upbeat tone. Remember the first year when we had all the guys in brown jerseys with old lettering? Remember how own Kill was on the talent?

well, to be perfectly honset with you no one overthrows wozniak cuz...wozniak never lines up.
2 things for this saturday - watch 55 on the field his motor is double of almost everyone else. stay quiet for the moment of silence before practice.

well, to be perfectly honset with you no one overthrows wozniak cuz...wozniak never lines up.
2 things for this saturday - watch 55 on the field his motor is double of almost everyone else. stay quiet for the moment of silence before practice.

Are you referring to Cockran or Mayes?

All Things 2015 Gophers Spring Practice: Tweets, Links, Analysis, Video & More

Saw an interesting quote out of Iowa today. Ferentz basically said the 1's are good and the 2's are basically playing like 3's. At the end of the day that can't be good in helping the 1's. I also Talked to a guy that has 15 season tickets in his group for Iowa and the belief is they haven't bottomed out yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom