BTN: Stipend figures? Here's a look at potential Big Ten numbers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart:

Now, student-athletes will not just receive tuition, books and room-and-board but also an extra amount to be used toward incidental living expenses—Little Caesar’s crazy bread, gas for the Vespa, iTunes downloads, “Cracked” magazine subscriptions … stuff like that. It is known in university parlance as “cost of attendance.” Me? I like to call it “kicking around cash,” or “Friday night loot.”

http://btn.com/2015/03/03/stipend-figures-heres-a-look-at-potential-big-ten-numbers/

Go Gophers!!

I'd like to know why the actual-cost-of-attendance is so much more in middle-of-nowhere, Pennsylvania as opposed to Chicago or the Twin Cities.

per Dienhart:

Now, student-athletes will not just receive tuition, books and room-and-board but also an extra amount to be used toward incidental living expenses—Little Caesar’s crazy bread, gas for the Vespa, iTunes downloads, “Cracked” magazine subscriptions … stuff like that. It is known in university parlance as “cost of attendance.” Me? I like to call it “kicking around cash,” or “Friday night loot.”

http://btn.com/2015/03/03/stipend-figures-heres-a-look-at-potential-big-ten-numbers/

Go Gophers!!

My understanding is that the stipend is not dished out in cash and that each school can regulate its area of spending for the most part. This money is not for upgrading your cell phone or pizza. Players in the past received stipends in the past. Its not a big deal until the scandals begin...down south.

This needs to be equal. You can't have one school in the same conference offering $5,000 to recruits and many others at $2,000. It's $65,000 to go to NW. They are in the Chicago area...how are they factored at 2 and Penn St is nearly 5?
Costs more to live in Minneapolis than many other places. Seems to me the formula is whacked. But, I still believe the Power 5 conferences should all have an agreed upon number.

These numbers are actually quite surprising to me. I would have thought Ohio state, Michigan and Michigan state would have been at the top with Nebraska and penn state.

The vadgers at #2???? Fml

Becky right behind Penn State. We'll give you 4,000.00 because Madison is such a sh-t hole. And by the way kids don't swim in Lake Mendota unless you wear a wet suit.

I think that cost of attendance based stipends are subject to manipulation and should be avoided. My daughter got a modest stipend in ROTC, $300 first year, $350 second year and $450 third year. It would have been $500 fourth year but she graduated in three. I think that a set national stipend is the way to go.

Becky right behind Penn State. We'll give you 4,000.00 because Madison is such a sh-t hole. And by the way kids don't swim in Lake Mendota unless you wear a wet suit.

Wow, the wisdom never stops flowing! Who knew! Madison WI is a "shXthole?

Top Bottom