STrib: Race to replace Gophers' top rusher begins in spring practice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Even back when David Cobb was getting one carry per season, Gophers coaches raved about the tailback’s vision, his ability to see defensive creases that few else could without slow-motion video.

That word “vision” came up again in February, when offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover was rattling off the strengths of Rodney Smith, a redshirt freshman who will be one of four backs fighting to replace Cobb when spring practice opens Tuesday.

“[Smith] may even have better vision than David,” Limegrover said. “I’m not saying he’s the full package, but Rodney will not only see what’s obvious; he’ll see something a little more subtle. He’s just so natural when he gets the ball in his hands.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/294778151.html

Go Gophers!!

This is pure speculation, but off of Limegrover's comments it seems like Rodney Smith might be the guy to beat. Coach brings up a good point with Jones not being able to practice with the team, he's going to have to pick up the little things first that Smith, Williams, and Edwards have already gone through. It does sound like all 4 will have some type of role though.

Going to be interesting to watch how RB shakes out. I certainly think there is enough talent there that we can be comfortable with whoever gets the bulk of the carries between Williams, J. Jones and R. Smith. I think a big key will be things like pass-blocking and others which Limegrover elluded to.

This is pure speculation, but off of Limegrover's comments it seems like Rodney Smith might be the guy to beat. Coach brings up a good point with Jones not being able to practice with the team, he's going to have to pick up the little things first that Smith, Williams, and Edwards have already gone through. It does sound like all 4 will have some type of role though.

True on JJ, but he has spring ball, summer, and fall camp still. He isn't ready on those things today, but easily can be come start of the season. Also, I think it is Nugget's job until someone beats him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom