Mariucci and the Big 10

north45

Reaction score
Last year there was discussion about plans to renovate Mariucci Arena. Those plans included reducing the size of the ice sheet, improved sight lines and more seating. Since then I haven't come across anymore news about the status of those plans. Does anyone know what the status is?
I'm also wondering how reducing the ice sheet can be accomplished and still improve the "sight lines" ? The old St. Paul Civic Center comes to mind. The 2nd worst place I've ever watched hockey ( The worst being the coliseum at the State Fair ). Has anyone seem the plans ? How do you reduce the ice sheet and make it work ? Do you lower the ice sheet and build the seats in?
Second question is, what will it take to make the Big 10 one of the premiere hockey conferences in the country ? Right now it's a long way from that. Would it possible to add a non Big 10 school to the conference ? Say, Notre Dame ? What Big 10 schools have the potential to add hockey? Can't think of too many likely candidates. Maybe Northwestern being in Chicago ? Nebraska ? Junior hockey has been pretty successful in Nebraska. Any ideas ?

Second question is, what will it take to make the Big 10 one of the premiere hockey conferences in the country ? Right now it's a long way from that. Would it possible to add a non Big 10 school to the conference ? Say, Notre Dame ? What Big 10 schools have the potential to add hockey? Can't think of too many likely candidates. Maybe Northwestern being in Chicago ? Nebraska ? Junior hockey has been pretty successful in Nebraska. Any ideas ?

Nebraska is unlikely as the University system has put a lot behind Omaha for hockey and probably won't do the same for Lincoln. For expansion opportunities, I would look at schools that have strong club teams. From the latest ACHA rankings, Illinois is the only ranked B1G team and probably the most likely candidate. I would also say Rutgers would have a chance because of geography, and Iowa could make a push if they really wanted (Iowa State has a really good club program, no reason Iowa couldn't too).

The biggest thing that would need to happen - and Penn State was really an anomaly - is to have some big donor step up and make it happen. Pegula at PSU backed up dump trucks full of money to build the program, otherwise there is no way it gets off the ground. Would Illinois have the same sort of donor waiting in the wings? Hard to think they would, but maybe. Rocky Wirtz (owner of the Blackhawks) is a Northwestern alum though, and they seem light years away from having a team.

Notre Dame is part of Hockey East and will not join the B1G. However, adding affiliate programs is not entirely out of the question - the conference has done so with Johns Hopkins in lacrosse. But it would have to be a very compelling team to have it happen. My guess is the conference sits at 6 members for at least the next five years.

One thing to keep an eye on is the expansion of college hockey out west. With Arizona State joining the D1 ranks, other Pac12 schools may choose to jump (especially as the Pac12 network tries to fill programming time). Colorado and Arizona are both prime candidates, and Utah would not be out of place either. Plus, I wouldn't put Phil Knight U out of the realm of possibility. If there is successful expansion to the west, B1G schools may be more apt to bite the upfront cost bullet on expansion.

One thing to keep an eye on is the expansion of college hockey out west. With Arizona State joining the D1 ranks, other Pac12 schools may choose to jump (especially as the Pac12 network tries to fill programming time). Colorado and Arizona are both prime candidates, and Utah would not be out of place either. Plus, I wouldn't put Phil Knight U out of the realm of possibility. If there is successful expansion to the west, B1G schools may be more apt to bite the upfront cost bullet on expansion.

Oh god, can you imagine all the complaining about uniforms from Gopher fans of Oregon put together a hockey team? We already b!tch enough about Michigan's helmets....

The B1G will have good years again. Everyone seems to be having a down year this year. However, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan are all schools that have been able to produce elite teams in the past. MSU and OSU have put together a lot of quality but not great teams in recent memory. And Penn State has grown by leaps and bounds in a few years. With only 6 teams, if two teams are in a rebuilding mode and two teams have a surprisingly disappointing season, all of a sudden the conference can be pretty terrible that year. Similarly, a few pleasant surprises can turn this into a conference with all strong programs. The conference is so small that it can be really volatile, but I don't envision it ever been worse than this year.

Second question is, what will it take to make the Big 10 one of the premiere hockey conferences in the country ? Right now it's a long way from that. Would it possible to add a non Big 10 school to the conference ?

Johns Hopkins is in the Big 10 lacrosse conference, so if they want to do it they can if they feel the right institution is available. However, it seems doubtful since there are enough "big name" programs in Big 10 hockey already.

Go back to the WCHA. Big Ten for hockey is a joke right now.

That boat has sailed. Big Ten hockey is here to stay unless the Big Ten changes its rules or if one of the teams drops hockey, and neither is at all likely.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Go back to the WCHA. Big Ten for hockey is a joke right now.

If I had a genie come out of a lamp and grant me three wishes this would definitely be one of them. Alas, its not going to happen. I'll just end up being the cranky old man complaining about how much better things were in the old days.

Notre Dame, geographically seems like a natural for the Big 10 rather than Hockey East. The problem with adding an ASU or Rutgers is the length of time it would take for them to build competitive programs. It would be nice if the Big 10 could add a school with and established competitive program. I just don't know how easy it would be to add a non-Big 10 to the conference ?

Outside of the Big Ten I am surprised that more northern schools or at least schools that have winter do not have hockey. Colorado, Colorado State, the Montana schools, and Syracuse come to mind. In the Big Ten I am not sure what has happened to Wisconsin. Buckyville claims they are the new state of hockey. What a joke. They are an embarrassment.
As of tonight, the Gophers are tied for first with 3 conference games to go.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outside of the Big Ten I am surprised that more northern schools or at least schools that have winter do not have hockey. Colorado, Colorado State, the Montana schools, and Syracuse come to mind. In the Big Ten I am not sure what has happened to Wisconsin. Buckyville claims they are the new state of hockey. What a joke. They are an embarrassment.
As of tonight, the Gophers are tied for first with 3 conference games to go.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wisconsin follows a very predictable pattern. They're awful the first year, then slowly get better until the 4th year when they're good. See 2006 (National Championship), 2010 (Runner Up after getting smoked by BC), 2014 (1 seed in NCAAs before getting embarassed by UND). So I'd expect them to slowly get better, until they actually become a challenge in 2018.

It's my understanding that the Gophers have the tiebreaker over Michigan in terms of Big Ten Tournament seeding, right? I think since we have a higher GF-GA against UM, we'd be seeded #1 if we were to tie as regular season champions.

Been playing and watching hockey since I was young and I personally love the B1G Hockey conference. Don't miss the WCHA one bit and never will. Was a league full of small time, hockey only schools. One trick ponies. Imo, nothing to fix as far as the B1G hockey conference goes, 3 long time rivals in Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State. And 2 newer ones in hockey with Ohio State and Penn State. Will continue to get better and better over time. Cheers and Ski-U-Mah!

I think Wisconsin should add to their embarrassment and drop hockey like they did baseball . The Big Ten has wonderful hockey only arenas with the exceptions being Value City Arena at Ohio State and the Kohl Center in Wisconsin. Value City is cavernous and more like a pro arena but it is nice. The Kohl Center was built on the cheap and it is a horrible place to watch a hockey game. Give it up becky your hockey program sucks. Quit while you are behind.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been playing and watching hockey since I was young and I personally love the B1G Hockey conference. Don't miss the WCHA one bit and never will. Was a league full of small time, hockey only schools. One trick ponies. Imo, nothing to fix as far as the B1G hockey conference goes, 3 long time rivals in Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State. And 2 newer ones in hockey with Ohio State and Penn State. Will continue to get better and better over time. Cheers and Ski-U-Mah!

Yeahhh, well, if you and I had a conversation you'd be the first hockey person I've talked to who is excited about Big 6 hockey. If it's going to get better, it had best hurry because in another year or two our once state- of- the -sport program may find recruiting is not what it used to be.

Yeahhh, well, if you and I had a conversation you'd be the first hockey person I've talked to who is excited about Big 6 hockey. If it's going to get better, it had best hurry because in another year or two our once state- of- the -sport program may find recruiting is not what it used to be.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you 100%

Top Bottom