$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy

I may be in the minority on this Board, but I think the broken chair thing is stupid and should fade away. We already have three real rivalry trophies, and I don't see the need to dilute the real trophy games with even more trophy games, such that more than half our conference games become trophy games.

I was following the conversation on twitter at the time this thing was contrived (by us), and it was very much a one-way exchange. Faux Pelini made the one remark about breaking a chair over Goldy's head, or something to that effect, but really did not express much interest in pregame banter like he did with MSU and some others, and said nothing in response to Goldy's pics showing that we made a "trophy." The whole thing struck me as Minnesota/Goldy trying a little bit too hard to get in on the Faux Pelini act, and/or trying too hard to characterize the Nebraska game as a rivalry after just one recent win.

I honestly think it is more of a joke about how some other "Rivalry" trophies have started. Most notably the Wisconsin v. Nebraska "Freedom" trophy, which consists of a US Flag and depictions of both stadiums, that was seemingly just made up by both schools and has no history behind it.

Quite frankly, the '$5 Bits of broken chair' trophy has more creativity and originality than some of the other more recent B1G Ten trophies put together. All of the great trophy games have some history behind them and just manufacturing a trophy to have a trophy, a la the Freedom Trophy, is not overly interesting at all. One could argue that our trophy with Nebraska is just that, but I honestly think it is more of a joke than anything. If it becomes a real trophy, I will be perfectly ok with it.

Wandering, it is a trophy built for fun, to mean something to people who enjoy having fun. Enjoy your unsweetened lemonade.

Given how popular the trophy is with Gopher fans, it seems Goldy tried just hard enough.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

We have played Nebraska a lot more than Ohio State

I may be in the minority on this Board, but I think the broken chair thing is stupid and should fade away. We already have three real rivalry trophies, and I don't see the need to dilute the real trophy games with even more trophy games, such that more than half our conference games become trophy games.

I was following the conversation on twitter at the time this thing was contrived (by us), and it was very much a one-way exchange. Faux Pelini made the one remark about breaking a chair over Goldy's head, or something to that effect, but really did not express much interest in pregame banter like he did with MSU and some others, and said nothing in response to Goldy's pics showing that we made a "trophy." The whole thing struck me as Minnesota/Goldy trying a little bit too hard to get in on the Faux Pelini act, and/or trying too hard to characterize the Nebraska game as a rivalry after just one recent win.

Even though we are in the same conference as Ohio State in football we have actually played Nebraska more as they were a regular non-conference opponent. To me the Nebraska Cornhuskers are a natural rivalry = closeness in Geography, culture, maybe not football culture but State culture. I see a brewing Rivalry with them if we continue to knock those guys off they will see it the same way. So call it a poser Rivalry or whatever but Nebraska just seems to fit as a "Rival" even if the bits of broken wood chair is corny and one sided.

I honestly think it is more of a joke about how some other "Rivalry" trophies have started. Most notably the Wisconsin v. Nebraska "Freedom" trophy.

Yeah, I think that one's dumb too (and our Bell).

I just think the trophy games should be rare. As a program we're already fortunate to have 3 of the very best trophy games in football.

Husker fan here. This is the only "rivalry" trophy I've ever been interested in. Nebraska has four "rivalry" trophies: The Victory Bell with Missouri, the $5 Bits of Broken Chair, and the two hollow trophies with Iowa & Wisconsin, neither of whom are rivals (Wisconsin isn't a rival because they just kick our butt every year, and we haven't gotten into it with Iowa enough to have a "rivalry" yet). The Iowa trophy is corporate cynicism at its worst, anyway. Neither school's fans really care about it. The Missouri trophy hasn't been a thing for two or three generations at Nebraska because we used to beat them so often people just forgot about it. I didn't know we had a rivalry trophy with Missouri until the 2000s.

While Minnesota and Nebraska haven't played a lot in most people's lifetimes, we've had some really fun games since Nebraska joined the Big Ten. So your mascot and our fake twitter coach got together (along with Reddit/r/CFB) and created this goofy thing. And I love it. It's fun. It isn't some obvious attempt to fabricate some fake "rival." It's lighthearted, fun, and mostly goofy. It's what college football should be about.

I'm going to the Nebraska/Northwestern game in a few minutes, and I'm going to stop by and get a picture of the $5 Bits of Broken Chair. I hope it (or something like it) becomes an ongoing thing.

By the way, with Nebraska's victory last weekend, we're now 22-31-2 against you Gophers. We'll get to .500 yet!

Enjoy your bye week, folks. Good luck against Michigan next week.

Husker fan here. This is the only "rivalry" trophy I've ever been interested in. Nebraska has four "rivalry" trophies: The Victory Bell with Missouri, the $5 Bits of Broken Chair, and the two hollow trophies with Iowa & Wisconsin, neither of whom are rivals (Wisconsin isn't a rival because they just kick our butt every year, and we haven't gotten into it with Iowa enough to have a "rivalry" yet). The Iowa trophy is corporate cynicism at its worst, anyway. Neither school's fans really care about it. The Missouri trophy hasn't been a thing for two or three generations at Nebraska because we used to beat them so often people just forgot about it. I didn't know we had a rivalry trophy with Missouri until the 2000s.

While Minnesota and Nebraska haven't played a lot in most people's lifetimes, we've had some really fun games since Nebraska joined the Big Ten. So your mascot and our fake twitter coach got together (along with Reddit/r/CFB) and created this goofy thing. And I love it. It's fun. It isn't some obvious attempt to fabricate some fake "rival." It's lighthearted, fun, and mostly goofy. It's what college football should be about.

I'm going to the Nebraska/Northwestern game in a few minutes, and I'm going to stop by and get a picture of the $5 Bits of Broken Chair. I hope it (or something like it) becomes an ongoing thing.

By the way, with Nebraska's victory last weekend, we're now 22-31-2 against you Gophers. We'll get to .500 yet!

Enjoy your bye week, folks. Good luck against Michigan next week.

The 1983 debacle ought to be enough for another 5 wins for you guys. :rolleyes: If you Husker fans have embraced the 5DBOBC trophy the way most GHer's do, then for sure it's legit. My .02.

Axe, Pig, Jug, Chair

We want that chair back. Along with the Axe, Pig and Jug. Bell? Meh.

The Victory Bell is trying too hard. Goldy didn't try very hard at all with the chair.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom