$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy

MrC

Reaction score
I know it is the offseason.

I know Oct 17 versus Nebraska is a long way off.

But anything we can do to make sure this trophy, the only non-focus-group-tested, legitimate fan's trophy in recent memory, becomes part of the fabric of college football is something we can be proud of for the rest of our lives.

We are undefeated in the battle for The Chair. I hope we stay that way for a long, long time. But I also hope the best addition to the Big 10, Nebraska fans, will feel differently with the same intensity.

Win The Chair!

I know it is the offseason.

I know Oct 17 versus Nebraska is a long way off.

But anything we can do to make sure this trophy, the only non-focus-group-tested, legitimate fan's trophy in recent memory, becomes part of the fabric of college football is something we can be proud of for the rest of our lives.

We are undefeated in the battle for The Chair. I hope we stay that way for a long, long time. But I also hope the best addition to the Big 10, Nebraska fans, will feel differently with the same intensity.

Win The Chair!
Goldy said recently on twitter that it will be back. Still not official I'm sure.

I like that along with the Jug, Pig, and Axe, it gives us a fourth trophy game.

This trophy was originated from our Mascots, I believe.

KEEP THE CHAIR!

I fully expect to beat Iowa, Nebraska and Michigan this year. If that's not a positive sign about where they program's at, I don't know what is.

Kind of weird how some of you rubes view the Bell and Chair as an either/or scenario.

1 Chair = 15,000 Bells.

Difference between Authentic and Contrived.

Well regardless of how some feel about the bell's "authenticity" I will take beating Penn State any day. Bell or no bell, but I do like that we have a souvenir to show for it when all is said and done. Just my two cents.

Where is the Broken Chair being displayed? My guess (as would be fitting), somebody's dorm room shelf using it to hang laies and beads.

Where is the Broken Chair being displayed? My guess (as would be fitting), somebody's dorm room shelf using it to hang laies and beads.

Probably down in the climate-controlled vault at Anderson Library with the original Little Brown Jug, the blueprints of the IDS Center, and Detlef's stein.

Hey, I just found the Stein the other day!

It had been lost for like 10 years.

I should post a picture.

Rest assured Gopherolers, the Stein is alive and well.

I might be the only one here that doesn't know what the chair is. Will someone please explain to me the who, what, why, when, where, and how's of it? It seems to held in rather high esteem and I feel left out not knowing anything about it. Thanks.

I might be the only one here that doesn't know what the chair is. Will someone please explain to me the who, what, why, when, where, and how's of it? It seems to held in rather high esteem and I feel left out not knowing anything about it. Thanks.

Don’t feel bad. I had the same question about the coveted mayor’s cup trophy between us and PSU.

Don’t feel bad. I had the same question about the coveted mayor’s cup trophy between us and PSU.

Find that a little hard to believe considering the Governor's Victory Bell has been around since like 1993. But thanks for playing. ;)

A buddy and I stopped by Nagurski to pay our respects to Floyd around christmas. On the way in, we made a point of asking every staff person 'hey, do you know if we can see the chair?' Answers ranged from '.....I dont know' to 'its not on display right now' to 'theres a chair right there.'

I may be in the minority on this Board, but I think the broken chair thing is stupid and should fade away. We already have three real rivalry trophies, and I don't see the need to dilute the real trophy games with even more trophy games, such that more than half our conference games become trophy games.

I was following the conversation on twitter at the time this thing was contrived (by us), and it was very much a one-way exchange. Faux Pelini made the one remark about breaking a chair over Goldy's head, or something to that effect, but really did not express much interest in pregame banter like he did with MSU and some others, and said nothing in response to Goldy's pics showing that we made a "trophy." The whole thing struck me as Minnesota/Goldy trying a little bit too hard to get in on the Faux Pelini act, and/or trying too hard to characterize the Nebraska game as a rivalry after just one recent win.

Top Bottom