GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 3/1/15

DL65

Reaction score
Sid and Mike Max asked today’s questions of Jerry Kill on ‘CCOs Sports Huddle.

1) Sid asked for the status of linebacker Nick Rallis: Kill said Rallis will not participate in spring drills – still recovering from surgery and is in rehab.

2) Sid, once again, asked for the names of players that may miss spring drills: Kill gave the names of a few players that won’t participate as well as those who have undergone surgery but will be available for springs drills. Players doubtful or with limitations this spring include, Hendrick Ekpe, Nick Rallis and possibly offensive lineman Jared Wyler. Players available: Duke Anyanwu and Isaiah Gentry - back from surgery and rehab. Kill also said, "Josh Campion is back," however, he has a "back situation" that may limit his participation – they’ll be careful with Campion and others that have recovered from surgery.

3) Mike asked about Duke Anyanwu replacing Maxx Williams at tight end: “We felt Maxx and Duke would be on the field at the same time . . . (he’s) done a good job in rehab,” said Kill. (Duke Anyanwu suffered a season-ending injury at the start of fall practices last August.)

Kill, continuing the discussion of tight ends, said, “Wide tight ends will be big – 270, 270, and 265.” He also sounded positive when he said that Nate Wozniak is available for spring ball. (Apparently Wozniak, according to Kill, is the tight end at 265 pounds.)

Coach Kill closed the topic, saying, “Talent at tight end, but we’d like Maxx back (laughing).”

4) Mike Max raised the topic of players that have finished their careers at Minnesota and are preparing for Pro Days at the U: “Tomorrow guys (pro scouts) will come in.” Former Gophers participating tomorrow are Derrick Wells, Cedric Thompson and Zac Epping. (If Kill gave another name, I missed it.)

5) In a follow up, Max asked about players (Maxx Williams, David Cobb, and Damien Wilson) who were at the NFL’s Combine: Kill said David Cobb was slowed by an injury. Damien Wilson is up to 250 pounds and did exceedingly well in the Combine’s vertical jump. Maxx Williams had a very good combine. Coach Kill sounded positive when discussing the three players and their performances at the NFL Combine.

Kill closed the topic saying the players who finished their playing days as Gophers last fall will be sticking around for spring drills and will help the players that are replacing them. They’re also working out at the school's weight room.

6) Sid asked Kill what redshirted freshmen is he excited to see on the field during spring drills: Kill listed three wide receivers that have been discussed frequently on the Sports Huddle and in the Twin Cities sports pages: Isaiah Gentry, Desmond gant and Melvin Holland.

“Anxious to see Jeff Jones,” said Kill. He also mentioned runningback Rodney Smith. “A whole lot of speed,” said Kill referring to the wide-outs and Jones and Smith.

Kill said the returning players and redshirts have been “working hard.” As an example, Roderck Williams has lost weight and is “lean.”

7) Sid asked for the date of the Gophers spring game: “Spring Game – April 11,” replied Kill.

8) In a follow up, Sid asked if spring drills will be open to the public: Kill said the practices will be open to the public after the first two practices. The first two practices are without pads and there is not much to see, except for conditioning drills.

9) Mike Max asked about the proposed facility for the football team: Kill sounded optimistic – “They’ll start digging in July.”

10) Mike Max asked if Minnesota alumnus and benefactor, Sanford, who reportedly gave money recently for a sports facility in Sioux Falls, will be contacted for funds for the proposed facility: Kill didn’t give a direct answer to Max’s question. However, he said Sanford has given a lot in the health industry as well as schools, including the University of Minnesota. (Correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t Sanford’s first name Dennis? As you can see, because I wasn't sure, I didn’t give a first name in the last question.)

Go Gophers!!

Correct, it is Denny Sanford. Great work as always DL. Sunday is now complete.

Thanks for the update! I'm sure coach will be deeply relieved when the funds are raised so he doesn't have to answer those questions anymore.

Thanks DL.

Is his name Thomas Denny Sanford?

He goes by T. Denny Sanford.

Sid and Mike Max asked today’s questions of Jerry Kill on ‘CCOs Sports Huddle.

1) Sid asked for the status of linebacker Nick Rallis: Kill said Rallis will not participate in spring drills – still recovering from surgery and is in rehab.

2) Sid, once again, asked for the names of players that may miss spring drills: Kill gave the names of a few players that won’t participate as well as those who have undergone surgery but will be available for springs drills. Players doubtful or with limitations this spring include, Hendrick Ekpe, Nick Rallis and possibly offensive lineman Jared Wyler. Players available: Duke Anyanwu and Isaiah Gentry - back from surgery and rehab. Kill also said, "Josh Campion is back," however, he has a "back situation" that may limit his participation – they’ll be careful with Campion and others that have recovered from surgery.

3) Mike asked about Duke Anyanwu replacing Maxx Williams at tight end: “We felt Maxx and Duke would be on the field at the same time . . . (he’s) done a good job in rehab,” said Kill. (Duke Anyanwu suffered a season-ending injury at the start of fall practices last August.)

Kill, continuing the discussion of tight ends, said, “Wide tight ends will be big – 270, 270, and 265.” He also sounded positive when he said that Nate Wozniak is available for spring ball. (Apparently Wozniak, according to Kill, is the tight end at 265 pounds.)

Coach Kill closed the topic, saying, “Talent at tight end, but we’d like Maxx back (laughing).”

4) Mike Max raised the topic of players that have finished their careers at Minnesota and are preparing for Pro Days at the U: “Tomorrow guys (pro scouts) will come in.” Former Gophers participating tomorrow are Derrick Wells, Cedric Thompson and Zac Epping. (If Kill gave another name, I missed it.)

5) In a follow up, Max asked about players (Maxx Williams, David Cobb, and Damien Wilson) who were at the NFL’s Combine: Kill said David Cobb was slowed by an injury. Damien Wilson is up to 250 pounds and did exceedingly well in the Combine’s vertical jump. Maxx Williams had a very good combine. Coach Kill sounded positive when discussing the three players and their performances at the NFL Combine.

Kill closed the topic saying the players who finished their playing days as Gophers last fall will be sticking around for spring drills and will help the players that are replacing them. They’re also working out at the school's weight room.

6) Sid asked Kill what redshirted freshmen is he excited to see on the field during spring drills: Kill listed three wide receivers that have been discussed frequently on the Sports Huddle and in the Twin Cities sports pages: Isaiah Gentry, Desmond gant and Melvin Holland.

“Anxious to see Jeff Jones,” said Kill. He also mentioned runningback Rodney Smith. “A whole lot of speed,” said Kill referring to the wide-outs and Jones and Smith.

Kill said the returning players and redshirts have been “working hard.” As an example, Roderck Williams has lost weight and is “lean.”

7) Sid asked for the date of the Gophers spring game: “Spring Game – April 11,” replied Kill.

8) In a follow up, Sid asked if spring drills will be open to the public: Kill said the practices will be open to the public after the first two practices. The first two practices are without pads and there is not much to see, except for conditioning drills.

9) Mike Max asked about the proposed facility for the football team: Kill sounded optimistic – “They’ll start digging in July.”

10) Mike Max asked if Minnesota alumnus and benefactor, Sanford, who reportedly gave money recently for a sports facility in Sioux Falls, will be contacted for funds for the proposed facility: Kill didn’t give a direct answer to Max’s question. However, he said Sanford has given a lot in the health industry as well as schools, including the University of Minnesota. (Correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t Sanford’s first name Dennis? As you can see, because I wasn't sure, I didn’t give a first name in the last question.)

You are correct sir

Thanks, DL. Does Nugget's weight loss get him out of the Doghouse?

There's sometimes some confusion about this - Sanford Health is a company, and T Denny Sanford is an individual. Both the company and the individual have a history of generous giving to college sports programs.

But T Denny Sanford doesn't own Sanford Health. He owns a company called First Premier Bank.

There's sometimes some confusion about this - Sanford Health is a company, and T Denny Sanford is an individual. Both the company and the individual have a history of generous giving to college sports programs.

But T Denny Sanford doesn't own Sanford Health. He owns a company called First Premier Bank.
Sanford health the company was never mentioned. DL just said "Sanford has given a lot in the health industry"

Sanford Health is NOT owned by T. Denny Sanford.

The biggest medical facility in Fargo-Moorhead and surrounding area is named Sanford Health because of generous moneys donated by Mr. Sanford.

There is a new $490 million medical facility currently being built in South Fargo just south of I-94 at 45th Street. It will be an amazing facility. Denny Sanford has absolutely no financial involvement in this.

As always, DL, many, many thanks for your contributions

Scott Ekpe instead of Hank?

I thought the same thing. In an earlier show Kill said it will be good getting Scott back; however, today he said Hendrick's name. Maybe he just said the wrong name. If he did, I think all of us can relate - at one time or another - to the simple error; I know I can.

The good news: Kill has said on recent shows that this is the healthiest they've been going into spring practices since his arrival to Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

(As an example, Roderck Williams has lost weight and is “lean.”)

???? what the hell get him some chicken nuggets stat

It's Scott Ekpe who's not 100% as he's returning from the knee injury. Hank Ekpe has been getting rave reviews from the staff with them listing Hank as a starter along with TC and ahead of Keith and Elmore.

Thanks, DL. Does Nugget's weight loss get him out of the Doghouse?

Not sure if he's all the way out, but Kill went out of his way to mention him as an example of the kids who've worked hard during the off-season to get better.

Seems unlikely

Not sure if he's all the way out, but Kill went out of his way to mention him as an example of the kids who've worked hard during the off-season to get better.

Nugget has seemed to be out of the doghouse in prior comments as well over the years. Somehow he always retreats to his familar confines outside. Like very much to see what he can do given the opportunity to punish defenders on a consistent basis. Hopefully, this time is the time we see what he can do.

With Cobb, there was pretty much one guy to beat out or share time with. Now, we seem to have 3 in the spring and a couple more coming in the fall to beat out for whoever our workhorse is going to be....if we have one.

Top Bottom