2015 Breakout Players: Defense

huckx008

El_Hucker
Reaction score
Defensive players you will be watching at spring practice or expect significant improvement from this year? Guys on my shortlist include: Gary Moore, Ekpe bros, Stelter, Elmore, James.. a couple linebackers should factor into the discussion as well.

Defensive players you will be watching at spring practice or expect significant improvement from this year? Guys on my shortlist include: Gary Moore, Ekpe bros, Stelter, Elmore, James.. a couple linebackers should factor into the discussion as well.

Eight defensive players is your "short" list? I'll go with Hank Ekpe and Jalen Myrick.

Just to see him in action I would vote for Julian Huff and HM would be whoever can 'pop out' as a potential mlb starter.

?honorable mention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eight defensive players is your "short" list? I'll go with Hank Ekpe and Jalen Myrick.

I hope you are right about Myrick. I'm not sold on him as a CB at all.

My pick for breakout players: Lynn and Elmore.

I know we are young on the line so we need to expect some of those younger guys to step up this year after a year under their belts.

However, we are losing alot of tackles at the MLB spot. I think someone needs to step up there. Does anyone know of a guy as a big, strong, and quick as Wilson on the roster? I've heard Poock, Lynn, mentioned. For those that have seen them practice, could these guys fill Wilson's shoes?

I know we are young on the line so we need to expect some of those younger guys to step up this year after a year under their belts.

However, we are losing alot of tackles at the MLB spot. I think someone needs to step up there. Does anyone know of a guy as a big, strong, and quick as Wilson on the roster? I've heard Poock, Lynn, mentioned. For those that have seen them practice, could these guys fill Wilson's shoes?

Lynn is big enough and faster than Wilson. Likely not as strong and won't have the same instincts, but is still young. I'm pretty high on Jack Lynn's potential. I don't know much about Poock, but think it is likely he plays on the outside.

Celestin, James, Elmore are players I'm excited about. Richardson can't be called a breakout player but he was disruptive and oh so close on many TFLs and sacks - excited to see him next season.

I hope you are right about Myrick. I'm not sold on him as a CB at all.

My pick for breakout players: Lynn and Elmore.

As far as Myrick goes, he is built like a TB. I hope he can play DB, but if not there should be someplace to use him.

As far as Myrick goes, he is built like a TB. I hope he can play DB, but if not there should be someplace to use him.

Agreed. His speed is tremendous. As a KR and in ST I have no doubts - I just question how good he can be at CB. Might be great, I just haven't seen it yet. I don't have the same doubts about James there.

Looking forward to the improvement of Elmore and Stetler.

As for Myrick, his coverage skills are fairly solid because of his speed. He may be able to transition to safety or possibly OLB(if he can put on 20-30 lbs and not lose speed)

Lynn is big enough and faster than Wilson. Likely not as strong and won't have the same instincts, but is still young. I'm pretty high on Jack Lynn's potential. I don't know much about Poock, but think it is likely he plays on the outside.

??

I'm sure someone will find a stat to prove my statement wrong, but to me Lynn looked faster than Wilson at every practice and game I saw. I am not saying that will make him better, it was just one point in my comparison of the two. We'd be lucky if Jack Lynn would ever become as good as Wilson was this year, he obviously isn't there yet, but I think he has the potential to be.

I think Lynn will be the middle linebacker. Size and speed indeed. Poock and Campbell. Linebacker is solid on this team. It will be critical to stay injury free, and build depth. I like Laster and Dixon to see playing time.

Lynn went from barely playing as a redshirt frosh to starting every game last season and was probably our 2nd best LB. His breakout year already happened... in 2014.

My picks in order for 2015 are:

1. Poock
2. Rodgers
3. James

I'm excited to see where Gary Moore is at in his development. Seems like he could add a new some size, athleticism and depth to the middle of the line. Also, am expecting significant progress in Stelter's development. Will be interesting to see how they use him this year, whether it be DE or DT. Either way I'm excited about the prospect of Elmore, Stelter, Moore, Richardson anchoring the line for the next 3-4 years.

Lots of questions/unknowns at LB behind Lynn, Campbell, Poock. Really hoping Celestin, E. Williams, Dixon or Laster steps up this spring, but don't have any evidence to suggest that will happen.

I'm excited to see where Gary Moore is at in his development. Seems like he could add a new some size, athleticism and depth to the middle of the line. Also, am expecting significant progress in Stelter's development. Will be interesting to see how they use him this year, whether it be DE or DT. Either way I'm excited about the prospect of Elmore, Stelter, Moore, Richardson anchoring the line for the next 3-4 years.

Lots of questions/unknowns at LB behind Lynn, Campbell, Poock. Really hoping Celestin, E. Williams, Dixon or Laster steps up this spring, but don't have any evidence to suggest that will happen.
LB depth isn't too bad. Laster played a decent amount last year. Williams started one game, but I don't know how much stock to put into that. Celestin needs to bulk up some, but he played a ton on special teams. Nick Rallis should be back. Not sure about Dixon, I'd guess he's behind Wipson at this point.

Top Bottom