Long, but power article: Remembering Hank Gathers, 25 years later

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From the Daily News in Philly:

"People come up to me all over the world and remember Hank to this day," Kimble said. "It was the way we played and the style of play. People remember because of the success connected with tragedy."

And, 25 years later, they still remember.

"What makes it a little easier for me is that I don't think of Hank and the tragedy," Kimble said. "I think of Hank and all the fun stories, how amazing he was. He just stood for so much happiness and laughter and that usually trumps any of the sorrow of him being gone. Usually, it's nothing but celebration because I choose to celebrate his life."

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/Hank_Gathers.html?asdgeg

Go Gophers!!

One of those deaths where I remember exactly where I was. Was horrifying to watch the video.

It was one of the few times something completely sapped my interest out of a college basketball season. The games all seemed so trivial after Gathers died. But then. ... the magical NCAA ride by LMU, Kimble, Jeff Fryer & Company somehow made college basketball seem OK again. The Michigan game, especially, it seemed like LMU couldn't miss a shot.

Great read. Great story. The game is different now. Can any of us imagine scoring 115 points and losing by 34 like Michigan? There is no way a guy with Hank's condition would ever be allowed on the court today, though. Way too many liability issues for everyone involved.

Top Bottom