Lehr, Gophers Overcome Early Deficit, Top Spartans, 5-3

Reaction score
Freshman goaltender, Nick Lehr, had big shoes to fill on Thursday as he got the start against Michigan State in place of a banged up Adam Wilcox. Things didn’t start out well as Lehr allowed three goals on four shots but he was able to battle, not allowing a goal on the next 17 shots he faced. The Gophers would rally around Lehr en route to an impressive 5-3 come-from-behind victory over the Spartans.

Freshman Goalie
Nick Lehr has played just a few minutes this season. On Thursday, the Roseville (Minn.) looked nothing short of shaky to start the game, allowing three quick goals. The first goal was screened on the powerplay but the last two could have been stopped. You could tell the kid was nervous and rightfully so.

“I’m really happy for Nick,” said Don Lucia. “We talked about, it’s all about being a team. Guys have to step up. Obviously not the way he wanted to start the game. The first two shots go in and three out of the first four but to his credit, I think he settled in.”

Lehr was able to get comfortable in net, even after the three early tallies.

“After the three goals, I think there was one or two saves right away that ended up kind of towards my chest and I think that was just kind of a hug for me,” said Lehr.

In the absence of “Ironmen,” the Gophers rallied around their freshman goalie.

“Right away, it was a battle,” said Lehr. “I let the three goals right away but the guys were always right there for me. They’re all talking to me, telling me they had my back. Coaches were giving me good encouragement to make sure I’m getting back into my game.”

Don’t Call it a Comeback
The Gophers trailed 3-0 just 10:34 into the game and it looked like it was going to be a long night. Thankfully, Minnesota’s upperclassmen came through when needed most. Travis Boyd tallied a goal with under two minutes left in the first to give the Gophers life.

“Boyd, there’s a senior, scoring the goal when it’s 3-1,” said Lucia. “The powerplay again came through with a couple goals. It was just a good team effort. Defensively, we didn’t give up a lot; we had some big blocks there at the end. The guys all dug in tonight.”

Playing against the best penalty kill in the conference, the Gophers were able to tally two powerplay goals which ended up being the difference in the game.

“That’s a big part of our team, something we rely on,” said Lucia. “You get confidence in it. We’ve got a lot of veterans back there. I like the fact that we’re getting production from two units, not just one.”

Chasing History
Thursday’s victory marked the 390th of Don Lucia’s career with the Gophers, tying him for first all-time with Doug Woog. Lucia tried to downplay the importance of tomorrow’s rematch in possibly putting his name in the record books.

“It’s all about trying to win tomorrow night, to beat Michigan State with where we are in the standings,” said Lucia. “At the end of the year, that’s what that’s all about.”

Although Lucia tried to play it cool, his team will be looking to help their coach make history.

“It’s going to be a hard game,” said Sam Warning. “Michigan State’s a tough team so obviously we want to go out there and get Coach the milestone win.”

By the Numbers
7 Points for Minnesota’s seniors who have been playing extremely well of late.

50 Percent on the powerplay as Minnesota went 2-4 on Thursday.

1 Victory in one career start for Nick Lehr.

Three Stars of the Game
#3 Joe Cox scored two goals for Michigan State.
#2 Mike Reilly had a goal and two assists.
#1 Sam Warning had two goals and a helper.

What’s Next
The Gophers will go for the sweep tomorrow, again at 8:00 p.m. on BTN.

What a fun game last night. MSU is really helped by Hildebrand, he is absolutely legit.

I am starting to like this team more and more after basically leaving them for dead midway through the year - whatever fire got lit under them, it worked, they are playing with passion and showcasing their skill in a productive way. Gotta get the sweep tonight and set up a manageable run to the conference tourney!

Top Bottom