All Things CBI (If Gophers End Up Going There)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
CBI: Unplugged
(1) 2015 will be the 8th year of the CBI.

(2) 16-team tournament.

(3) Re-bracketed after the quarterfinal round.

(4) Finalists play a best-of-3 series.

(5) All championship series games are televised on the CBS Sports Network.

Miscellaneous CBI Stuff
(1) Power 6 schools have won the CBI on three occasions: Oregon State in 2009; Oregon in 2011; and Pitt in 2012. Only Pitt parlayed that into a NCAA Tournament bid the following season.

(2) VCU won the CBI in 2010. The next season the Rams advanced to the NCAA Final Four out of the First Four (in Dayton).

(3) Three Power 6 schools accepted CBI bids last year, Oregon State (Pac 12), Penn State (Big Ten), and Texas A&M (SEC). Oregon State lost in the 1st round, while Penn State and Texas A&M were dumped in the quarterfinals.

(4) Siena defeated Fresno State, 2-1 in the championship series.

(5) The other two semifinalists were Illinois State and Old Dominion.

(6) Worth noting, heading into the CBI the overall records of the three Power 6 schools were 17-15 (Texas A&M), 16-15 (Oregon State), and 15-17 (Penn State). The Gophers currently are 15-12 (DI only) with a #92 RPI with three games + the Big Ten tourney remaining.

(7) Every team in the 2014 CBI had a triple-digit RPI. RPIs (with conference affiliation) were as follows:
#100 Oregon State (Pac 12)
#103 UTEP (Conference USA)
#114 Penn State (Big Ten)
#117 Fresno State (Mountain West) -- CBI Runner-Up
#122 Princeton (Ivy)
#134 Illinois State (Missouri Valley)
#135 Wyoming (Mountain West)
#141 Morehead State (Ohio Valley)
#138 South Dakota State (Summit)
#148 Texas A&M (SEC)
#165 Stony Brook (America East)
#170 Old Dominion (Conference USA)
#193 Siena (Metro Atlantic) -- CBI Champions
#204 Hampton (MEAC)
#223 Tulane (Conference USA)
#240 Radford (Big South)

I can't believe we are at this point, but here we are...

Hodger, I agree with an earlier assessment you made, that if we're in the situation we're in, I'd rather play in the CBI over the NIT, if only for something different. In particular the 3-game "best of" finale.

And, how many NIT championship t-shirts can I buy :rolleyes:

Go Gophers!!

Hodger, I agree with an earlier assessment you made, that if we're in the situation we're in, I'd rather play in the CBI over the NIT, if only for something different. In particular the 3-game "best of" finale.

Go Gophers!!

I think you're missing the point. We have the chance to be the first ever back to back NIT champions if I am not mistaken.

Go Gophers!!

That pretty much sums it up, Bleed. NIT unquestionably we'd face more competitive teams, but it's just become so stale with all the appearances we've made. A little variety adds some spice to life. Would really like to play in the 3-game series. If we're in the CBI sure as heck hope we'd be good enough to win 3 games to advance to that series.

SS - At the start of the year you were hesitant to post a Magic Number of 22 Wins thread because it seemed so likely that it would happen. Now we are posting a CBI 101 thread because that might be our best option. Think about that! What a colossal disappointment this year ended up being.

I understand he NIT is stale and even though the young guys need reps I would rather the U pass on a CBI bid. Can't imagine a group of seniors going to be real enthused about either but I would expect a better effort in the NIT.

SS - At the start of the year you were hesitant to post a Magic Number of 22 Wins thread because it seemed so likely that it would happen. Now we are posting a CBI 101 thread because that might be our best option. Think about that! What a colossal disappointment this year ended up being.

Agree. I'm not buying it from those saying/inferring (Pitino included) the expectations were too high after winning the NIT. I didn't hear that conversation prior to the season. I thought 11-7 in the Big Ten and a NCAA bid was a reasonable expectation given what we had returning, what others had returning (but more so what they lost), and what the Gophers' conference schedule looked like (favorable). Not sure I'd want to say it was a colossal disappointment, but this team should be better than 5-10. Still believe that, despite the struggles to close winnable games. This team should not be hoping for a NIT bid, but that's what happens when you suck on the road, and even worse when you can't even protect your home court.

I think you're missing the point. We have the chance to be the first ever back to back NIT champions if I am not mistaken.

South Carolina won back to back NIT championships last decade and I believe St. John's did many years ago but I think those are the only two.

Still think we will make the NIT unless we don't win another game this year. And to be honest it would be so much better to play in the NIT then the CBI.
1. The teams are better in the NIT then the CBI, we have a better chance of playing a power 5 conference team then a non power 5 team in the NIT.
2. It's on ESPN and people would be more likely to tune in on ESPN then whatever channel the CBI is on. [I think only the championship series is on TV]
3. Get the freshmen some post season play and we could use the extra practice.

CBI: Unplugged

(7) Every team in the 2014 CBI had a triple-digit RPI. RPIs (with conference affiliation) were as follows:
#100 Oregon State (Pac 12)
#103 UTEP (Conference USA)
#114 Penn State (Big Ten)
#117 Fresno State (Mountain West) -- CBI Runner-Up
#122 Princeton (Ivy)
#134 Illinois State (Missouri Valley)
#135 Wyoming (Mountain West)
#141 Morehead State (Ohio Valley)
#138 South Dakota State (Summit)
#148 Texas A&M (SEC)
#165 Stony Brook (America East)
#170 Old Dominion (Conference USA)
#193 Siena (Metro Atlantic) -- CBI Champions
#204 Hampton (MEAC)
#223 Tulane (Conference USA)
#240 Radford (Big South)

True, but besides the last four or five, the RPI distribution of teams is fairly narrow. Some automatic qualifiers in the NIT have lower RPI ratings than most of these teams. Interestingly, one of the teams with the lowest RPI scores last year won the tournament.

I'll still take the NIT. The reality is if the games are not on ESPN, they are played in a vacuum.

I don't get how this is better or 'fresher' because it's part of a tournament with different letters. It's all about the games themselves, which don't change. The early games won't even be televised, so I guess I could give a dang if we're in this thing.

I'd much rather play in the NIT against better teams, in games that we can actually watch, than lose tens of thousands of dollars playing some #100-plus RPI teams that aren't that different from our non-conference slate and won't be seen by anyone outside of the 2,000 in attendance (assuming we even get home games.)

I'm trying to put the reverse jinx on the Gophers. Get everyone talking about the virtues (or lack thereof) of the NIT and CBI, just before the Gophers beat Sparty, Bucky, and Penn State to end the regular season, then go to Chicago & advance to the BTT semifinals to earn their rightful spot on the NCAA bubble.

I don't get how this is better or 'fresher' because it's part of a tournament with different letters. It's all about the games themselves, which don't change. The early games won't even be televised, so I guess I could give a dang if we're in this thing.

I'd much rather play in the NIT against better teams, in games that we can actually watch, than lose tens of thousands of dollars playing some #100-plus RPI teams that aren't that different from our non-conference slate and won't be seen by anyone outside of the 2,000 in attendance (assuming we even get home games.)

2,000 might be a stretch.

The poster who mentioned St. Johns and South Carolina was correct. They did it. Winning back to back would be a big thing.... if this was 1950 or so. Not that it matters, Gamecocks were 14-16 the year after their two consecutive titles.

The NIT is still a halfway respectable tournament that always seems to have some good games. However, if the Gophers end up in the CBI, I won't pay a lick of attention to them. Crappy tournament full of underachieving teams.

If you're a Big Ten team playing in the NIT, and you lose first or second round, it's against another good team.

If you lose in the CBI in the first or second round, it pretty much seals the season with a crap loss vs some medium conference crap team which further points out you were crap.

Happy to report that the thread I started here is now completely irrelevant! Beating a top-tier Big Ten team (MSU) now makes the NIT (not the CBI) the worst case scenario. What the h*ll, we might as well beat Wisconsin, too.

I'm trying to put the reverse jinx on the Gophers. Get everyone talking about the virtues (or lack thereof) of the NIT and CBI, just before the Gophers beat Sparty, Bucky, and Penn State to end the regular season, then go to Chicago & advance to the BTT semifinals to earn their rightful spot on the NCAA bubble.

That's what I was thinking, it would take all of that and still not make it but why not hope.

Top Bottom