Mr. Sunday, how would this three way tie be broken?

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Right now, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Northwestern all have five wins. If they all finish with the same number of wins and Minnesota maintains the tiebreaker over Nebraska, Northwestern has the tiebreaker over Minnesota, and Nebraska has the tiebreaker over Northwestern (they do), then what happens?

3-way tie it's head to head. I think they're done playing one another.

Nebraska 2-1
Northwestern 1-1
Gophers 1-2

Thanks! They are done playing one another. That damn game at Nebraska could raise its ugly head again.

OK, that means the Gophers would be 12th and play #13 and #5 if they win that. Honestly, I don't think there is that much difference between playing #5, or #6, or #7 in the Big Ten tournament and that might actually be better for the team for purposes of an NIT bid and seeding if they can win two.

Thanks! They are done playing one another. That damn game at Nebraska could raise its ugly head again.

OK, that means the Gophers would be 12th and play #13 and #5 if they win that. Honestly, I don't think there is that much difference between playing #5, or #6, or #7 in the Big Ten tournament and that might actually be better for the team for purposes of an NIT bid and seeding if they can win two.

Sorry; they probably won't be in the NIT which will save my eyes and many others from bad basketball!!

Sorry; they probably won't be in the NIT which will save my eyes and many others from bad basketball!!

Nah, don't say that. Extend the season always. Plus, they may get a game at home. I went to the St. Mary's game last year. Tickets were cheap and widely available.

I'd rather watch the Gophers play a terrible game than play no game at all. Football is a long way away.

Plus add in extra game experience for Gas, Konate, Mason, and Buggs and it's a good thing

Yeah. That's pretty much what it's all about at that point, in my opinion, just getting some burn for the young'ins against what should be some fairly decent competition, probably most of whom will be stronger teams than the vast majority of our non-conference schedule next season. Just play the young guys, and hope that valuable experience will be of benefit to them going into next season.

CBI over NIT

Barring a run to the BTT title, hoping the NIT passes on Gophers and they accept bid to CBI. Gophers would probably be one of the favorites, and it'd be cool to see them play in a best of 3 series if they reach the finals.

Barring a run to the BTT title, hoping the NIT passes on Gophers and they accept bid to CBI. Gophers would probably be one of the favorites, and it'd be cool to see them play in a best of 3 series if they reach the finals.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with that, as the NIT seems to really like the Gophers. We are tied with Clemson and Saint Bonaventure for eighth all time in number of NIT bids with 15, whereas in the brief seven year history of the CBI, 2013 Purdue and 2014 Penn State are the only Big Ten teams to have made an appearance, and both of those squads had losing records not only in conference but overall. I wonder though how many teams have turned down CBI bids.

Maturi's not the AD anymore, but I'd still be surprised if they accepted a bid to the CBI. Unless it's changed a lot in recent years, it's a huge money loser due to the # of tickets the schools have to guarantee (and eat) which is why few Power 6 schools agree to be in it.

My god, I don't want to see the Gophers play in the NIT again much less the CBI. I'd hope we'd at least be united against accepting a bid to the CBI.

I wonder though how many teams have turned down CBI bids.

CBI bids get turned down quite a bit. Certainly wouldn't be surprising if the U did so. However, I suspect Pitino would want to play in it if it's the only postseason offer. And if Pitino wants to accept the bid, I think Teague would honor that -- even at a steep financial price -- in order not to p*ss off his young coach, who at least publically hasn't made the lack of a practice facility a huge issue.

Top Bottom