Iowa QB Jake Rudock graduate transferring to Michigan? That's the rumor

supadupafly

Reaction score

lololololollolololololololololololoolololololol

Real question. Do either of the teams get any better from this? Wow for desperation from Michigan if true

Isn't there a Big Ten rule that causes a player to lose an additional year when transferring within the conference? Or is that negated by graduation?

Isn't there a Big Ten rule that causes a player to lose an additional year when transferring within the conference? Or is that negated by graduation?
I thought so. I recall pipe dreams of Braxton Miller graduate transferring to the U being immediately being squashed because you can't go within the conference.

It definitely helps the gophers if Rudock goes to the school where he has the lower chance of starting. After reading the Iowa SB nation link in the OP I think he has a better chance to start at Michigan seeing that apparently Ferentz named Bethard the starter on the two deeps for spring ball. He actually has a pretty good stat line, better than I expected and is much more experienced than anything UM has. The gophers D chewed up and spat out both QBs last year so I guess we shouldn't be too worried about it.

This is from a Maryland Terrapin club website:

The B1G Beat: Intraconference Transfer Rule
In this edition, we will address the Big Ten’s intraconference transfer rule. For starters, the Big Ten breaks down its intraconference transfer rule into two separate categories for student-athletes: “Pre-Matriculation” and “Post-Matriculation”. As defined by the Big Ten, “pre-matriculation” refers to student-athletes who have signed a tender (financial aid agreement) with another Big Ten Institution but have not triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2. On the other hand, “post-matriculation” refers to student-athletes who have signed a tender and have triggered transfer status pursuant to NCAA rules. Today, we will focus on post-matriculation rules.

As a quick reminder, transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 is triggered under any of the following conditions (not an exhaustive list): prospect enrolls full-time and attends classes on opening day, reports for regular squad practice, receives financial aid during summer term prior to initial enrollment, etc.

What is the Big Ten intraconference transfer rule for a student-athlete who has signed a financial aid tender at another Big Ten Institution, and has triggered transfer status?

He or she may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the second Big Ten school. Furthermore, he or she will be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports (B1G 15.01.5.A).

Please note that this is more restrictive than the NCAA rule, insofar as a student-athlete transferring from another Big Ten institution will be charged with the loss of a season of eligibility. In situations where a student-athlete who signed a Big Ten financial aid tender transfers to another institution outside of the Big Ten, and later subsequently transfers to another Big Ten school, the intraconference transfer rule would still be applicable to the student-athlete (sit a year and lose a year). In situations where a student-athlete has never signed a Big Ten financial aid tender (walk-on) and transfers to another Big Ten institution, the intraconference transfer rule would not apply.

Furthermore, unlike both the NCAA and the ACC, there is no graduate student exception to this rule. Therefore, absent a waiver (which is never guaranteed), a student enrolling in graduate school at Maryland who has ever signed a tender with another Big Ten institution will have to sit an academic year in residence and be charged a season of competition in all sports.

http://www.terrapinclub.com/the-b1g-beat-intraconference-transfer-rule/

but wait..

there is no guarantee that he will be granted a waiver to play immediately for another FBS school. yeah ryt.

there is no guarantee that he will be granted a waiver to play immediately for another FBS school. yeah ryt.

The Big Ten has to grant the waiver. This isn't up to the NCAA. Per the NCAA, if Rudock has graduated, he is free to transfer to any FBS school without sitting a year. However, if he transfer within the Big Ten and hopes to play this year he will have to receive a waiver from the Big Ten conference. I imagine the Big Ten would be a whole lot more hestitant as they probably dont want teams within the conference scavenging each other's rosters.

Let the kid go to Michigan. Probably would make both teams worse. :cool:

The Big Ten has to grant the waiver. This isn't up to the NCAA. Per the NCAA, if Rudock has graduated, he is free to transfer to any FBS school without sitting a year. However, if he transfer within the Big Ten and hopes to play this year he will have to receive a waiver from the Big Ten conference. I imagine the Big Ten would be a whole lot more hestitant as they probably dont want teams within the conference scavenging each other's rosters.

Technically he's free to transfer IF the school he's at doesn't have an advanced degree in his field of interest AND the school he's transferring to does. He technically cannot just transfer because he's graduated. That being said, it's amazing how I've never seen anyone NOT find a different degree they just couldn't get at their existing school. :)

That being said, I would think Iowa would have to give him a release. The two teams don't play each other so I guess why wouldn't you? Otherwise he'll just go somewhere else anyway.

Let the kid go to Michigan. Probably would make both teams worse. :cool:

That QB who started against us is pretty much it for anyone Michigan has returning with experience, so Rudock most certainly would make them better (but probably not by much).

1. If graduated this May, he is eligible this fall @ Michigan per graduate exemption (aka Russell Wilson path). Graduate program must be offered that isn't at previous school.

2) If not graduated, school (Iowa) would need to sign off on transfer. Earliest he could step on field is Fall of 2016.

1. If graduated this May, he is eligible this fall @ Michigan per graduate exemption (aka Russell Wilson path). Graduate program must be offered that isn't at previous school.

2) If not graduated, school (Iowa) would need to sign off on transfer. Earliest he could step on field is Fall of 2016.
See my earlier post. Big Ten has more strict rules than NCAA when it comes to graduate transfers.

See my earlier post. Big Ten has more strict rules than NCAA when it comes to graduate transfers.

I refuse to look at your earlier posts. I will, however, make assumptions on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really support this sort of thing. They should be sitting out a year regardless.

I question that a waiver wouldn't be granted. The last thing the Conference would want is to appear to be hindering a student athletes education.

I don't really support this sort of thing. They should be sitting out a year regardless.

In conference I would agree. There are 120 D1 FBS schools. That gives you 106 other schools to find your degree at without being forced to drop to a lower level.

Out of conference I would completely disagree. There are plenty of programs that encourage people to get their advanced degrees at other schools. Some programs will not allow internal candidates without a significant exception. When I was in ChemE at the U, that was their policy and only one person I know of was granted an exception because of a family issue.

Also, many programs are divided between style/beliefs/whatever. Again with my own example, Minnesota was well known to be very strong on the theory side of ChemE, where Wisconsin was known to be much less theory and more practical. Having an undergrad of one style and grad of the other was considered to be the ultimate combination.

Not to mention not all schools offer advanced degrees for all programs.

I understand this is not why the well known examples (Russell Wilson, et. al.) choose this route. They were essentially auditioning for the NFL. But frankly I think that if you graduate it should give you some perks such as choosing where to play your final year(s). I think by forcing them to sit you are punishing kids who took their education seriously and completed their degrees. Especially the lesser known kids who really are going because of academics. Trying to legitimately find your upper level degree shouldn't prohibit someone from playing football.

If the dude graduates, he should be able to play anywhere he wants without sitting out a year. The degree should be what it was all about anyway.

If the dude graduates, he should be able to play anywhere he wants without sitting out a year. The degree should be what it was all about anyway.

Except this transfer isn't about the degree in any form or fashion. This is a football move.

I refuse to look at your earlier posts. I will, however, make assumptions on the topic.

Correct, I did make assumptions. I stand corrected in regards to Graduate Rule Transfer.

As to Point #2 I made.. I believe to be correct - based on first hand knowledge of a former athlete - recently transferred from one B1G school to another. You can PM me for name, school, and my relationship to the person. I'll even upload photos of the kid's L.O.I. signing if you'd like.

Go Gophers!

Rudock is officially moving on. Will visit Michigan.

I'm still not sure how he could play in Michigan with the B1G's transfer rules. There does not appear to be an exception for grad students. Unless he doesn't academically qualify for grad school at Iowa? If that were the case then I'm not sure how he would at Michigan...

Intraconference Transfer Rules.

1. Pre-Matriculation. A prospective student-athlete who has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has not yet triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), is subject to the following intraconference transfer requirements:

a. Signed National Letter of Intent. A prospective student-athlete who signs a valid National Letter of Intent (NLI) with a Conference institution but subsequently enrolls at an alternate Big Ten institution shall be required to complete one (1) full year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports. These penalties shall be applied regardless of any decision made by the NLI Steering Committee on behalf of the prospective student-athlete.

1. Exception - Complete Release by Signing Institution. If the Big Ten institution at which the prospective student-athlete originally signed the NLI grants a "Complete Release" from the NLI, the prospect shall be permitted to enroll at any other Conference institution without penalty.

2. Exception - NLI Declared Null and Void. Should the NLI become null and void prior to the prospective student-athlete's matriculation, the prospective student-athlete shall be free to enroll at any other Conference institution without penalty.

b. Signed Tender without National Letter of Intent. A prospective student-athlete that signs a valid tender with a Conference institution but subsequently enrolls at an alternate Big Ten institution shall be required to complete one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e.,
certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one
(1) season of eligibility in all sports. Upon mutual agreement of the two involved Conference institutions, this penalty shall be waived by the Chair of the Academics and Eligibility Subcommittee.

2. Post Matriculation. A student-athlete that has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e.,
certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports.

3. Pre- and Post-Matriculation Exceptions

a. Cancellation of Tender Due to Inadmissibility. When a prospective student-athlete is inadmissible to the institution for which a tender has been accepted, the tender shall be considered null and void and the intraconference transfer penalty does not apply.

b. Dropped Sport. When a Conference institution drops the student-athlete's sport in which the student-athlete has participated, the intraconference penalty does not apply.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask.../58173/big-ten-makes-changes-to-transfer-rule

Top Bottom