The Drive for B1G Ten Tournament #10 seed: Gophs hold it once again

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/15BTTbracket.pdf

The modest goal now for the Gophers is to avoid Big Ten Tournament Wednesday. With Iowa's thumping of Nebraska yesterday, the Gophers moved back into the #10 spot.

One important thing to note down the stretch? It could be very important for the Gophers that Purdue finish ahead of Michigan State. If the Gophers and Nebraska finish in a tie for the #10 seed, the tiebreaker likely comes down to who has the best win over the highest team in the seedings. The Gophers currently hold that advantage with their win over Purdue, but if MSU passes the Boilers, the tiebreaker would flip-flop, as the 'Huskers hold a win over MSU (this assumes the Gophers lose to Sparty, of course). And don't forget about Northwestern behind us, either.

All remaining regular-season games are listed. Next update after Tuesday's game.

Double Byes
1. Wisconsin (13-1): @ Maryland, Michigan State, @ Gophers, @ Ohio State
2. Maryland (10-4): Wisconsin, Michigan, @ Rutgers, @ Nebraska
3. Purdue (10-4): Rutgers, @ Ohio State, @ Michigan State, Illinois
4. Michigan State (10-4): Gophers, @ Wisconsin, Purdue, @ Indiana

Single Byes
5. Indiana (9-6): @ Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan State
6. Iowa (8-6): Illinois, @ Penn State, @ Indiana, Northwestern
7. Ohio State (8-6): Nebraska, Purdue, @ Penn State, Wisconsin
8. Illinois (7-7): @ Iowa, Northwestern, Nebraska, @ Purdue
9. Michigan (7-8): @ Maryland, @ Northwestern, Rutgers
10. GOPHERS (5-10): @ Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State

The Fab 4 (playing on Wednesday)
11. Nebraska (5-10): @ Ohio State, @ Illinois, Maryland
12. Northwestern (4-10): Indiana, @ Illinois, Michigan, @ Iowa
13. Penn State (3-12): Iowa, Ohio State, @ Gophers
14. Rutgers (2-13): @ Purdue, Maryland, @ Michigan

GOPHERS currently drawing #7 Ohio State at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in Chicago, with Maryland waiting in the wings on Quarterfinal Friday.

Terrible draw right now. I don't think we can play with Ohio State anymore much rather have Illinois even if its in Chicago. Also if we get the 10th I would hope Purdue would be the 2nd seed because we can't beat Maryland either. But really I can't really see us beating any team outside the "fab 4" right now. Hopefully that changes.

Terrible draw right now. I don't think we can play with Ohio State anymore much rather have Illinois even if its in Chicago. Also if we get the 10th I would hope Purdue would be the 2nd seed because we can't beat Maryland either. But really I can't really see us beating any team outside the "fab 4" right now. Hopefully that changes.

I have gotten to the point of not even caring...

Through Feb. 24: Maryland win means we now have a race

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/15BTTbracket.pdf

With Maryland's win over Wisconsin, my pre-B1G season prediction that the Badgers would win the title by at least 3 games (set the over-under at 2.5) is in serious peril. Badgers have a tough schedule remaining, comparatively the Terps' is Charmin soft.

The modest goal now for the Gophers is to avoid Big Ten Tournament Wednesday. One important thing to note down the stretch? It could be very important for the Gophers that Purdue finish ahead of Michigan State. If the Gophers and Nebraska finish in a tie for the #10 seed, the tiebreaker likely comes down to who has the best win over the highest team in the seedings. The Gophers currently hold that advantage with their win over Purdue, but if MSU passes the Boilers, the tiebreaker would flip-flop, as the 'Huskers hold a win over MSU (this assumes the Gophers lose to Sparty, of course). And don't forget about Northwestern behind us, either.

Next update after tonight's (Wednesday) games.

Double Byes
1. Wisconsin (13-2): Michigan State, @ Gophers, @ Ohio State
2. Maryland (11-4): Michigan, @ Rutgers, @ Nebraska
3. Purdue (10-4): Rutgers, @ Ohio State, @ Michigan State, Illinois
4. Michigan State (10-4): Gophers, @ Wisconsin, Purdue, @ Indiana

Single Byes
5. Indiana (9-6): @ Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan State
6. Iowa (8-6): Illinois, @ Penn State, @ Indiana, Northwestern
7. Ohio State (8-6): Nebraska, Purdue, @ Penn State, Wisconsin
8. Illinois (7-7): @ Iowa, Northwestern, Nebraska, @ Purdue
9. Michigan (7-8): @ Maryland, @ Northwestern, Rutgers
10. GOPHERS (5-10): @ Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State

11. Nebraska (5-10): @ Ohio State, @ Illinois, Maryland
12. Northwestern (4-10): Indiana, @ Illinois, Michigan, @ Iowa

GOPHERS currently drawing #7 Ohio State at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in Chicago, with Maryland waiting in the wings on Quarterfinal Friday.

Terps / Knights

With Maryland's win over Wisconsin, my pre-B1G season prediction that the Badgers would win the title by at least 3 games (set the over-under at 2.5) is in serious peril. Badgers have a tough schedule remaining, comparatively the Terps' is Charmin soft.

Having dreaded the expansion to 14 teams, on the bright side perhaps the Badgers would be undefeated if the Big 10 had stood pat. They have only lost to Rutgers and Maryland.

Thank you Jim Delany.

Depressing Thoughts, by Jack Handy: If Northwestern beats IU tonight. ...

The Gophers will drop all the way down to the #12 seed.

And that would be leading into difficult games vs. Michigan State & Wisconsin.

Go Hoosiers!

Northwestern surges past Gophers in BTT seeding

The modest goal now for the Gophers is to avoid Big Ten Tournament Wednesday. The Gophers currently share BTT Opening Night in Chicago with Northwestern, Penn State, and Rutgers. Next update after tonight's (Thursday) games.

Double Byes
3. Michigan State (10-4): Gophers, @ Wisconsin, Purdue, @ Indiana
4. Purdue (10-4): Rutgers, @ Ohio State, @ Michigan State, Illinois

Single Byes
5. Iowa (9-6): @ Penn State, @ Indiana, Northwestern
6. Ohio State (8-6): Nebraska, Purdue, @ Penn State, Wisconsin
7. Indiana (9-7): Iowa, Michigan State
8. Michigan (7-8): @ Maryland, @ Northwestern, Rutgers
9. Illinois (7-8): Northwestern, Nebraska, @ Purdue
10. Nebraska (5-10): @ Ohio State, @ Illinois, Maryland

11. Northwestern (5-10): @ Illinois, Michigan, @ Iowa
12. GOPHERS (5-10): @ Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State

GOPHERS currently drawing #13 Penn State at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in Chicago, with Iowa waiting in the wings on Thursday.

Gophers regain #10 seed, most "doable" BTT scenario is to finish 8-10 & stay there

That win in East Lansing last night just made the end of the regular season quite a bit more interesting. The modest goal for the Gophers remains avoiding Big Ten Tournament Wednesday, but now some other things can come into play if the Gophers win their last two regular-season games. A difficult task with Wisconsin looming, yes, but not impossible.

Best long-term scenario is finish 8-10 but remain the #10 seed. Best to avoid the 8-9 game because beating Illinois or Michigan (especially) wouldn't do much to move the needle. Staying at #10 pretty much guarantees a top-50 opponent (Indiana/Ohio State?) in their B1G tourney opener, and that's exactly what they need.

Double Byes
3. Purdue (11-4): @ Ohio State, @ Michigan State, Illinois
4. Michigan State (10-5): @ Wisconsin, Purdue, @ Indiana

Single Byes
5. Iowa (9-6): @ Penn State, @ Indiana, Northwestern
6. Ohio State (9-6): Purdue, @ Penn State, Wisconsin
8. Michigan (7-8): @ Maryland, @ Northwestern, Rutgers
9. Illinois (7-8): Northwestern, Nebraska, @ Purdue
10. GOPHERS (6-10): Wisconsin, Penn State

11. Northwestern (5-10): @ Illinois, Michigan, @ Iowa
12. Nebraska (5-11): @ Illinois, Maryland
14. Rutgers (2-14): Maryland, @ Michigan

GOPHERS currently drawing #7 Indiana at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in Chicago, with Maryland waiting in the wings on Quarterfinal Friday.

Our path to the NCAA tourney:

-Beat Wisconsin and Penn State at home (do-able)
-Michigan beat Rutgers at home, and Illinois beat NW and Nebraska at home, to ensure that we do NOT end up at #8 or 9. (do-able)
-Beat the #7 and #2 (probably Maryland) teams in the BTT. (do-able)

Our path to the NCAA tourney:

-Beat Wisconsin and Penn State at home (do-able)
-Michigan beat Rutgers at home, and Illinois beat NW and Nebraska at home, to ensure that we do NOT end up at #8 or 9. (do-able)
-Beat the #7 and #2 (probably Maryland) teams in the BTT. (do-able)

Well done. Here's what I find interesting. If this scenario unfolds, the Gophers would have wins on their resume over (estimated BTT seeds):

#1 Wisconsin (beating the Badgers next Thursday at The Barn is most difficult part of this scenario)
#2 Maryland (neutral court)
#3 Purdue
#4 Michigan State (on the road)
#6 Iowa (on the road)
#7 Indiana/Ohio State (neutral court)
#8 Illinois

That would mean 7 wins over every team legitimately competing for a NCAA bid with the exception of 1 of Indiana/Ohio State, 4 of those away from Williams Arena. And that excludes whoever would be awaiting the Gophers in the semifinals.

Fun to think about it, but for now. ............. beat Wisconsin, and then go from there.

Well done. Here's what I find interesting. If this scenario unfolds, the Gophers would have wins on their resume over (estimated BTT seeds):

...as well as a win over fellow bubble team Georgia, on a neutral court. I would adamantly believe they should be in if the scenario above unfolds.

Now back to reality, given the nature of this team I could see them beating Wisconsin and then losing to Penn State to blow their chances. LOL

Wouldn't improve out tourney bid, but if we do get a 10 seed a we beat a 7 seed I would hope that Purdue is the 2nd seed and not Maryland just because beating Purdue is a little more doable.

Wouldn't improve out tourney bid, but if we do get a 10 seed a we beat a 7 seed I would hope that Purdue is the 2nd seed and not Maryland just because beating Purdue is a little more doable.

Given the remaining schedules of each, that appears unlikely. I assume Maryland has the tie-breaker?

Given the remaining schedules of each, that appears unlikely. I assume Maryland has the tie-breaker?

Yes, Maryland won at Purdue in their only meeting. Maryland also swept Michigan State. Terps will win any tiebreakers with those two.

Looking at the remaining schedules, it seems awfully likely we'll stay at 10. Assuming we at least beat PSU, I don't see NW winning two more games to jump us. Likewise, if we win both Michigan will almost certainly beat Rutgers to finish no worse than 8-10 and they have the tie-breaker. The only wrench would be if Illinois ends up 8-10 as well.

Looking at the remaining schedules, it seems awfully likely we'll stay at 10. Assuming we at least beat PSU, I don't see NW winning two more games to jump us. Likewise, if we win both Michigan will almost certainly beat Rutgers to finish no worse than 8-10 and they have the tie-breaker. The only wrench would be if Illinois ends up 8-10 as well.

Very astute. If the Gophers, Illinois, and Michigan all finish 8-10 -- not likely, but possible -- Michigan would earn the tiebreaker and the Gophers would jump Illinois. Assuming the top 7 hold their spots, it would be Michigan #8, Gophers #9, Illinois #10.

Very astute. If the Gophers, Illinois, and Michigan all finish 8-10 -- not likely, but possible -- Michigan would earn the tiebreaker and the Gophers would jump Illinois. Assuming the top 7 hold their spots, it would be Michigan #8, Gophers #9, Illinois #10.

In that case, all Gopher fans should be rooting for the Illini to cool off NW this week-end. That would give them 8 wins and beating Nebraska at home is a virtual certainty for #9. Plus maybe they become a top 50 win?

THE BIG IF: If Gophers win last 2 to get to 8-10. ...

looking at remaining schedules, most likely scenario is final seedings looking like this:

1. Wisconsin
2. Maryland
3. Purdue
4. Michigan State

5. Indiana
6. Iowa
7. Ohio State
8. Illinois
9. Michigan
10. GOPHERS

11. Northwestern
12. Nebraska
13. Penn State
14. Rutgers

Even if Gophers only beat Penn State, as Howeda noted previously, 7 wins likely would be enough to hang on to the #10 seed. I'm seeing a 4-way tie at 11-7 for the #4 seed, with MSU winning that tiebreaker.

There's still the potential wrinkle of Maryland winning out (very possible), and Wisconsin losing 2 of its final 3 (possible), which would make Maryland the #1 seed and the Badgers the #2. If MSU or the Gophers beat Bucky, that scenario certainly comes into play heading into the final weekend of the regular season.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really liked the Gophers path as the #12 seed before the win last night. First round matchup with Penn State, then Iowa, then Purdue if everything held up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as anyone that the Gophers won, but a higher seed may not be the greatest thing.

Through March 2: 1 more win & Gophers likely won't have to hump it on hump day

The modest goal for the Gophers remains avoiding Big Ten Tournament Wednesday. That's looking pretty good with one more win.

Double Byes
1. Wisconsin (14-2): @ Gophers, @ Ohio State
2. Maryland (12-4): @ Rutgers, @ Nebraska
3. Purdue (11-5): @ Michigan State, Illinois
4. Michigan State (10-6): Purdue, @ Indiana

Single Byes
5. Iowa (10-6): @ Indiana, Northwestern
6. Ohio State (10-6): @ Penn State, Wisconsin
8. Illinois (8-8): Nebraska, @ Purdue
9. Michigan (7-9): @ Northwestern, Rutgers

11. Nebraska (5-11): @ Illinois, Maryland
12. Northwestern (5-11): Michigan, @ Iowa
13. Penn State (3-13): Ohio State, @ Gophers
14. Rutgers (2-14): Maryland, @ Michigan

GOPHERS currently drawing #7 Indiana at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in Chicago, with Maryland waiting in the wings on Quarterfinal Friday.

This probably was discussed in the past, but why the crazy bracket design for 14 teams? Do they feel bad about taking byes away from the 3-4 seeds? The five games in five days possibility seems insane.

This probably was discussed in the past, but why the crazy bracket design for 14 teams? Do they feel bad about taking byes away from the 3-4 seeds? The five games in five days possibility seems insane.

The issue would be trying to fit six games into one day at the same venue. Just not logistically possible and too big of an advantage/disadvantage to hold the same round on different days.

Everything about the 8/9 game is yucky. Bad timeslot, bad potential matchup.

Pretty unrealistic for us to be in that game at this point. We'd have to win both games AND have either Illinois or Michigan lose both games. Illinois plays Nebraska at home next, likely a W. Michigan plays @ Northwestern and at home vs. Rutgers, likely winning both but at least one. The #10/#7 game is looking very likely, we just have to beat Penn State and not have Northwestern or Nebraska win its final two games (vs Mich, @Iowa; @Illinois, vs Maryland).

This is a pretty nice website. You can pick how the season finishes in the B1G and it provides what the bracket would look like:

http://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=mbb

Through March 3: Gophers must win 1 more (at least) to have shot at #10 seed

The modest goal for the Gophers remains avoiding Big Ten Tournament Wednesday. Northwestern's entertaining win over Michigan last night made that a tad more difficult. Assuming Northwestern loses @ Iowa to finish 6-12, the Gophers would have to beat Wisconsin or (more likely) Penn State to earn the #10 BTT seed. There no longer is a path to the #10 seed with a 6-12 finish.

Double Byes
1. Wisconsin (14-2): @ Gophers, @ Ohio State
2. Maryland (13-4): @ Nebraska
3. Purdue (11-5): @ Michigan State, Illinois
4. Iowa (11-6): Northwestern

Single Byes
5. Michigan State (10-6): Purdue, @ Indiana
6. Ohio State (10-6): @ Penn State, Wisconsin
7. Indiana (9-8): Michigan State
8. Illinois (8-8): Nebraska, @ Purdue
9. Michigan (7-10): Rutgers

11. Northwestern (6-11): @ Iowa
12. Nebraska (5-11): @ Illinois, Maryland
13. Penn State (3-13): Ohio State, @ Gophers
14. Rutgers (2-15): @ Michigan

Oh for God's sake.
How did that happen?

If we lose to Rutgers we are really bad

I don't mind playing OSU on Thursday. Russell is great but other than that Buckeyes nothing special. Would love opportunity to make Buckeyes sweat out Selection Sunday. I see Gophers-MSU quarterfinal in our future.

Top Bottom