All Things 2015-16 Gophers Basketball Schedule Thread - Updates, Analysis & More

A young and developing program like our should not be turning down any post season tournament. Our young guys, particularly in the front court, need all the reps they can get before next season.

I can believe how quickly things turned sour this year. Back around the blown leads against Michigan and Purdue, fans were being chastised for saying things like "looks like we will have a chance to defend our NIT title". Now, it is looking more and more like we will not have the chance to defend it, but for the wrong reason.

STrib: Pitino hoping next year's schedule brings more ranked teams to the Barn

When Minnesota coach Richard Pitino starts to look back on this year's schedule, he notices one glaring difference: the lack of ranked teams in Williams Arena.

At this point of the season, Minnesota has hosted just one -- No. 22 Ohio State, which brought the Gophers a loss way back on Jan. 6. Correspondingly, Minnesota doesn't have a single ranked win this year. Of course, there is another opportunity on deck: the stronger-than-ever Wisconsin, which comes to the Barn next week.

A year ago tomorrow, the Gophers would be beating their third ranked opponent at home -- No.20 Iowa. Those three teams -- including Ohio State and Wisconsin -- were the only ranked teams that stepped in Williams Arena, but Minnesota also hosted an unranked Michigan team in the season opener (the Gophers narrowly lost) that wound up making it to the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight.

"One of the things we haven't really gotten the benefit of -- we played three top-20 teams in our building," Pitino said of last season. "All of our top-20 teams ... have been on the road."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/293847911.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

I would argue that prior to the season anyone paying attention had to notice the Gophers' conference home schedule was light on recent B1G heavyweights (no Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State). Yet, Pitino and his staff were unable and/or unwilling to counter that schedule-wise. There are other ways to improve your home schedule if you're unhappy with the games the conference gives you. There are two other months (November-December) in the college basketball season, correct?

STrib: Pitino hoping next year's schedule brings more ranked teams to the Barn

When Minnesota coach Richard Pitino starts to look back on this year's schedule, he notices one glaring difference: the lack of ranked teams in Williams Arena.

At this point of the season, Minnesota has hosted just one -- No. 22 Ohio State, which brought the Gophers a loss way back on Jan. 6. Correspondingly, Minnesota doesn't have a single ranked win this year. Of course, there is another opportunity on deck: the stronger-than-ever Wisconsin, which comes to the Barn next week.

A year ago tomorrow, the Gophers would be beating their third ranked opponent at home -- No.20 Iowa. Those three teams -- including Ohio State and Wisconsin -- were the only ranked teams that stepped in Williams Arena, but Minnesota also hosted an unranked Michigan team in the season opener (the Gophers narrowly lost) that wound up making it to the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight.

"One of the things we haven't really gotten the benefit of -- we played three top-20 teams in our building," Pitino said of last season. "All of our top-20 teams ... have been on the road."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/293847911.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, its too bad our home conference schedule only gave him the chance to rack up easy wins against crap opponents like Northwestern.......oh, wait.

per Pitino:

Our December was certainly successful overall but I would have liked to have been tested a little bit more to prepare us for Big Ten season. That is my fault and we are looking to add a quality opponent next season during December. The question our staff is asking is if we want to start at home or on the road. We are looking at all options.

Schedule - We are currently in the process of planning a foreign trip in August. We will be able to get ten days of practice as well some games versus good competition. The timing is perfect for such a young team. Incoming freshmen will be allowed to play on this trip. As I stated earlier we are looking to add another game against a high major opponent in December. We are still not sure if it will start at our place or on the road. We believe our Big Ten/ACC Challenge game will be home but we don't know that for sure yet. We have a bunch of good options on the board. We hope to complete that soon.

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/20...on.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Pitino on adding quality opponent in December:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Doogie's guy is hearing Gophers v Texas Tech in Puerto Rico:

Go Gophers!!

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> hoops close to finalizing schedule. Two games left. Talking to some bigger schools about a neutral site game in Dec., per Pitino.</p>— Darren Wolfson(@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/603621918369980417">May 27, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If true, this would lead me to believe there's no home & home on the horizon for 2015-16, certainly not one that would start here (@ Williams Arena).

Hopefully the neutral site Doogie mentions is Target Center or the X, though Clem would consider it a road game.

Pitino chimes in:

On scheduling a noteworthy non-conference game: "Our December was not tough enough. We're looking into a couple of different options, whether or not that's starting another home-and-home or maybe playing a neutral site game, we've been looking into a few of those options. So we're almost finished with that, we're got a couple of games to go and we'll announce that soon."

http://www.startribune.com/tidbits-...st-gopher-road-trip-stop-in-spicer/305216131/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino chimes in:

On scheduling a noteworthy non-conference game: "Our December was not tough enough. We're looking into a couple of different options, whether or not that's starting another home-and-home or maybe playing a neutral site game, we've been looking into a few of those options. So we're almost finished with that, we're got a couple of games to go and we'll announce that soon."

http://www.startribune.com/tidbits-...st-gopher-road-trip-stop-in-spicer/305216131/

Go Gophers!!

I'll try to look at it with an optimistic slant this time. Does the word "another" imply Richard has already scheduled a home & home for 2015-16 and he's looking for another one?

per the Daily:

- The men’s basketball schedule is almost complete. Pomeday said the Gophers are trying to schedule one or two more high-major opponents.

- Pomeday told the crowd the Gophers are trying to schedule a home-and-home series in 2016-17 and 2017-18 with “a basketball program within [head coach Richard Pitino’s] family.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/2015/...foreign-travel-next-football-season-road-trip

Go Gophers!!

per the Daily:

- The men’s basketball schedule is almost complete. Pomeday said the Gophers are trying to schedule one or two more high-major opponents.

- Pomeday told the crowd the Gophers are trying to schedule a home-and-home series in 2016-17 and 2017-18 with “a basketball program within [head coach Richard Pitino’s] family.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/2015/...foreign-travel-next-football-season-road-trip

Go Gophers!!

Hmm. Does this mean one or two high major games this year AND then a home and home with Louisville the following two years? That would be great.. but am in the believe it when I see it camp. Crossing fingers.

Hmm. Does this mean one or two high major games this year AND then a home and home with Louisville the following two years? That would be great.. but am in the believe it when I see it camp. Crossing fingers.

I like it. The Pitinos have decided that Richard will have a squad that can compete with Dad's Cardinals by 16-17. Meanwhile they do what they can to beef up the schedule this coming year with competitive games against good teams but not Louisville caliber teams.

Why not a home and home? Nice to play a decent opponent, but who is going to travel to this?

Sioux Falls is all of fifteen miles from the Minnesota border - there are a few Gopher fans in SW MN. Plus the Pentagon only holds around 5000 so a sellout won't be a problem. Wisconsin played a game there a year ago which sold out.

Sioux Falls is all of fifteen miles from the Minnesota border - there are a few Gopher fans in SW MN. Plus the Pentagon only holds around 5000 so a sellout won't be a problem. Wisconsin played a game there a year ago which sold out.

Like the opponent.. don't like the location. Could they please throw season ticket holders a bone?? Ugh

Listed capacity for the Pentagon court is 3,250! It's designed to look like a 50's era court - like "Hoosiers." As noted in another thread, there is another new facility in Sioux Falls that seats roughly 10,000 for basketball. Hard to figure - would they rather have a sellout in a small gym, as opposed to (possibly) having empty seats in a larger facility?

per Pitino:

Scheduling

We are excited to announce the Oklahoma State game in Sioux Falls. It should be a very good game for us to get us ready for the always difficult Big Ten. It will also give our fans in South Dakota a chance to come out and cheer on the Gophers as well as any fans who want to make the short drive over from Minnesota. I hear the venue at the Pentagon is pretty special. We are also working on solidifying a home and home that would start in Williams Arena for the 2016 season vs. a very good opponent. We always want to alternate home and away non-conference games to coincide with the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. I am very excited about the possibility of this game happening. We should know something very, very soon.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062915aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

per Pitino:

Scheduling

We are excited to announce the Oklahoma State game in Sioux Falls. It should be a very good game for us to get us ready for the always difficult Big Ten. It will also give our fans in South Dakota a chance to come out and cheer on the Gophers as well as any fans who want to make the short drive over from Minnesota. I hear the venue at the Pentagon is pretty special. We are also working on solidifying a home and home that would start in Williams Arena for the 2016 season vs. a very good opponent. We always want to alternate home and away non-conference games to coincide with the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. I am very excited about the possibility of this game happening. We should know something very, very soon.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062915aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Take this to mean there will be no home & home series starting this season, and that Gopher fans shouldn't expect to get more than one quality home game per season. Richie follows with as close to a promise as one can get to saying there will be a quality/notable non-conference home game (excluding the ACC Challenge or Gavitt Games) in 2016-17. Let's hope that almost-promise comes to fruition.

If my read is accurate, it means another meager non-con home schedule this season, as well as a great likelihood a young & inexperienced 2015-16 Gopher team will enter B1G play without having played a true road game. Not sure that's a good idea.

Take this to mean there will be no home & home series starting this season, and that Gopher fans shouldn't expect to get more than one quality home game per season. Richie follows with as close to a promise as one can get to saying there will be a quality/notable non-conference home game (excluding the ACC Challenge or Gavitt Games) in 2016-17. Let's hope that almost-promise comes to fruition. If my read is accurate, it means another meager non-con home schedule this season, as well as a great likelihood a young & inexperienced 2015-16 Gopher team will enter B1G play without having played a true road game. Not sure that's a good idea.

Any chance at all that game in 16-17 is not against Louisville?

Any chance at all that game in 16-17 is not against Louisville?

Pretty good bet that'll be it. The fact he hints he should know something soon leads me to believe he's confident it will occur. And who would he most confident trusting their word? Probably his dad.

Top Bottom