Gophers Gain First Sweep in 89 Days, Beat OSU 6-2

Reaction score
The Golden Gophers completed their first sweep since early November by beating the Buckeyes, 6-2. Travis Boyd led the way with his first career hat trick in the Maroon and Gold, while Fasching, Rau, and Brodzinski each tallied goals in the win.

--Even more important than the Boyd hatty is the fact the Gophers finally got a sweep. It’s been a long time, since November 9th, that Minnesota has won back-to-back games. Are the Gophers finally playing up to their potential? Next weekend will be a good litmus test with Michigan coming to Dinkytown. The Gophers were swept in Ann Arbor last month and Michigan is rolling; winning 14 of its last 17 games. A couple of victories over the Wolverines could give Minnesota the momentum to finish the season with authority and carry its strong play to tourney time.

"We have a little more vested interest in winning right now," head coach Don Lucia said following the game. "The speed limit is going to go up next weekend. We play a team that's, as far as I'm concerned, the best group of forwards we've seen this year. We'll find out the progress we've made next weekend."

--The key to the Gophers peaking at the end of the season will be the production from the senior class. Tonight, seniors combined for 12 points including four goals. Three were from Travis Boyd, who notched a hat trick.

"It was a special moment," said Boyd. "I just got asked when my last hat trick was. It would have been high school hockey. It's been a while.”

By the Numbers
14 The Gophers ranking in the Pairwise after the sweep of Ohio State.

65 Career wins for Adam Wilcox, which places him in fourth place in Golden Gopher history.

89 Days since the Gophers last swept an opponent (Notre Dame).

Quotable
"The whole weekend we were really doing those little things. I think going back to the second shift of the game last night, Hudson Fasching blocked a shot, and at that moment the whole bench got up and was excited and was kind of like, ‘alright we know we're going to do the little things this weekend.'”– Travis Boyd

Three Stars of the Game
No. 3 Sam Warning (3a)
No. 2 Seth Ambroz (3a)
No. 1 Travis Boyd (3g, 1a)

What’s Next?
The Gophers return to the rink next weekend against Michigan at Mariucci. Friday’s game time is set for 8 p.m. and will be televised by BTN. It will be a 7 p.m. start on Valentines Day and FSN Plus will broadcast the matchup.

Top Bottom