Who are your prefered recruits/transfers for the final three spots?

Whoever it is, the pressure's on Richie.

How much sense does it make to add a JuCO guy or a grad transfer next year? Is next year looking like the Gophers are a player or two away? Seems like it'd be better to have a high-schooler who will develop and still be around in 2 or 3 years.

A junior college player who can rebound be he 6-6 or 6-10. A great shooter be he 6-0 or 6-6. An athletic JC swing player who is a lock down defender. If we can get three good players don't save one. No projects needed, the two we gambled on last year are enough. Woodward I'm not sold on yet.But he may be the wing we need. Anim sure is playing well. It worries me he is head and shoulders a better high school player than Johnson. The only reservation I have is he another Joe Coleman?

You think we turned down good players for those projects? Are you suggesting you would rather have banked those scholarships?

How much sense does it make to add a JuCO guy or a grad transfer next year? Is next year looking like the Gophers are a player or two away? Seems like it'd be better to have a high-schooler who will develop and still be around in 2 or 3 years.

If Richard would like to use that scholarship again sooner than 4 years, yes add a short life recruit someone who is only in the program for a couple of years so we can recycle and hopefully recruit a better player than who would be available this late in the game.

Even if we aren't a player or two away it makes sense to go after a JUCO and/or grad transfer with a couple of our 3 open scholarships just class balance wise. Right now for next year our scholarship situation looks like SR-2, JR-1, SO-3, FR-4. The other big positive especially with the grad transfer is you can get a guy who can help for a year and then still have that scholarship available for the 2016 class.

Even if we aren't a player or two away it makes sense to go after a JUCO and/or grad transfer with a couple of our 3 open scholarships just class balance wise. Right now for next year our scholarship situation looks like SR-2, JR-1, SO-3, FR-4. The other big positive especially with the grad transfer is you can get a guy who can help for a year and then still have that scholarship available for the 2016 class.

Grad transfers tend to go to good teams, not bottom feeders. We will not be getting a good grad transfer this off season.

I'm a big fan of scholarship distribution. Not sure it's a good enough reason to warrant a short-timer in this case, but I at least support the line of thinking. YOu could very easily redshirt someone from the 2015 class, though, which would help.

I'm not sure I can buy into the idea that having more scholarships in 2016 is better than having a player this year. Who's to say that the 2016 recruit would be better than Anim, for instance? I think the combination of quick-fix (Juco) with wait til next year is dangerous. You build for the future by having guys develop in the program. Jucos don't help with that and neither does the idea that the next crop of freshmen is going to immediately contribute.

Anyway, the permutations that come from trying to decide if a 2015 player + a free scholarship in 2019 are better than a Juco + a 2017 player + a 2021 player are impossible to work through. I'm just of the opinion that the sooner you start building for the future the better.

Grad transfers tend to go to good teams, not bottom feeders. We will not be getting a good grad transfer this off season.

Agreed. If we got one, it likely would be someone from a very low mid-major or someone who didn't see much minutes at a better program.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty sure he did that against Woodward's team. Game had about 4 overtimes.

In the game Meyers went off, he shot 18-43. 8-24 behind the arc. 11-16 on free throws. 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 turnovers, 1 block and 1 steal. 5 overtime game.

Myers played at a JUCO in California last year, then moved on to Williston State (North Dakota) this year and currently leads the D-1 Juco's in scoring. From only watching highlights of the kid, my guess is high majors are trying to decide whether or not he's going to score efficiently against a higher level of competition/athlete. Myers is a scorer (from the highlights I will link, I think you'll see a little Andre Hollins and a little Carlos Morris) and as a 6'2 or 6'3 guard who probably won't run point, he'll need to get you buckets. The Gophers certainly could use a go to scorer for next season, but who knows if it will be Myers. I'd compare Juco ball a bit to the NBA D League in that a lot of times the big scorers in the D League are not the guys who NBA teams end up calling up. The NBA teams have their scorers so they want to see D Leaguer's bring a skill set to a team that could blend in (Size/rebouding, spot up shooter, versatile defender) as opposed to a high volume shooter/scorer that needs the ball.

Here are some highlights from Myers first year in JUCO with Allan Hancock (CA)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3QuQMCj35sY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitino answered a question about this on his latest coaches show. "We need to get some big wings...we need to get like a 6'5/6'6 wing...we don't really have..I guess Charles Buggs we're trying to develop him, we could even get another Power Forward. I think the biggest thing you can mistakes early if you are rushing it, and we can look ourselves in the mirror, and trying to do it all at once..you got to get quality that's the way you turn around programs/build programs is every scholarship is like gold. You know like Josh Martin transfers after 7 games, we made a mistake there. I am not saying he's a bad kid bad player, but we didn't evaluate that situation right where if he would transfer after 7 games. We didn't do a good job there. With Gas, Bakary, they're not giving us a lot right now but I am excited about their growth and potential...Nate Mason I am excited about it. So it's finding that more than anything and not just giving a scholarship away because you have it."

Sounds to me like they need the one person no1 wants to talk about
But to my knowledge he's still eligible, and enrolled

Wish we'd get a commit soon to put some pressure on our targets. With 3 open scholarships none of our targets are going to feel pressure to commit which allows more time for a blueblood to sweep in at the last second.

Sounds to me like they need the one person no1 wants to talk about
But to my knowledge he's still eligible, and enrolled

Already saw act one of that play. But if the coaches want to take that risk.....

Pitino said he was going to treat the schollys like gold. If the person, who shall be unnamed, is the final scholly and a one year solution and the only option and they feel good about it then go for it.

Already saw act one of that play. But if the coaches want to take that risk.....

Pitino said he was going to treat the schollys like gold. If the person, who shall be unnamed, is the final scholly and a one year solution and the only option and they feel good about it then go for it.

I'm more with walk on and earn it

In the game Meyers went off, he shot 18-43. 8-24 behind the arc. 11-16 on free throws. 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 turnovers, 1 block and 1 steal. 5 overtime game.

43 shots is head shaking but he did play lots of minutes. Actually, that really isn't inefficient shooting either (43 + .5 x 16 < 55 points) especially for a game going 5 overtimes.

Still hoping that Pitino pulls a rabbit out of his hat and lands a stud or three with the remaining scholies. It might calm some of the restless natives if next year has some added hopefulness.

Still hoping that Pitino pulls a rabbit out of his hat and lands a stud or three with the remaining scholies. It might calm some of the restless natives if next year has some added hopefulness.

I may be jaded by this years performance, but believe this team is at least 3 players away from being competitive in the Big 10. Mason has shown flashes, we know what we have in King, Carlos and Charles show flashes then commit 3 turnovers in a row and the two young bigs are untested. Three other players on the team when the year started that offered some hope for the future left for multiple reasons. I think Pitino will need to pull several rabbits out of the hat or next year will be similar to this year. I sure hope I'm wrong and things move forward next year.

Here's a list of all the JC transfers since Bobby Jackson.
Carlos Morris
DeAndre Mathieu
Andre Ingram
Trevor Mbakwe
Julian Welch
Devron Bostick
Paul Carter
Limar Wilson
Engen Nurumbi
Vincent Grier
J'son Stamper
Travarus Bennett
Kerwin Fleming
Jerry Holman
Kevin Clark
Bobby Jackson
How many had a huge impact in their first year?

Here's a list of all the JC transfers since Bobby Jackson.
Carlos Morris
DeAndre Mathieu
Andre Ingram
Trevor Mbakwe
Julian Welch
Devron Bostick
Paul Carter
Limar Wilson
Engen Nurumbi
Vincent Grier
J'son Stamper
Travarus Bennett
Kerwin Fleming
Jerry Holman
Kevin Clark
Bobby Jackson
How many had a huge impact in their first year?

Define huge. A lot of them had an impact. Grier and Matheui, Mbakwe were perhaps the team's best players their first year in. Jackson was close to being the best player at the end of his first year. Holman, Clark, Morris, Stamper, Fleming and even Welch were starters. So perhaps 10 of 15 became starters meaning they were better options than what the coach had.

Define huge. A lot of them had an impact. Grier and Matheui, Mbakwe were perhaps the team's best players their first year in. Jackson was close to being the best player at the end of his first year. Holman, Clark, Morris, Stamper, Fleming and even Welch were starters. So perhaps 10 of 15 became starters meaning they were better options than what the coach had.

Pretty much would be my order also. Huge? Probably would be along the lines of what those three brought to the team, particularly Trevor. Since the team desperately needs someone of that ilk on the court. (Keeping my fingers crossed.)

Well said.

Pretty much would be my order also. Huge? Probably would be along the lines of what those three brought to the team, particularly Trevor. Since the team desperately needs someone of that ilk on the court. (Keeping my fingers crossed.)

Me too. I guess I'm getting too old to be able to bear thinking 2015-16 is going to be a washout. We need to start getting better now! :)

Top Bottom