UW's Corbin McGuire suspended one game for hit on Connor Reilly

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

The Big Ten suspended Wisconsin's Corbin McGuire for one game under the conference's supplemental discipline process on Monday morning.

The action was result of McGuire kneeing Gophers' leading scorer Connor Reilly early in the second period of Saturday night's 4-4 tie at the Kohl Center in Madison, Wis. McGuire received a five-minute major penalty, but remained in the game and eventually scored the shootout-winning goal in the seventh round.

The Gophers reportedly reached out to the conference immediately after the game seeking a review of the incident.

The supplemental discipline, however, won't help Reilly get back to the ice right away. Gophers coach Don Lucia said on Saturday night that he expects the sophomore forward to be out for a while. No update on Reilly's health was immediately available Monday morning.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/290543231.html

Go Gophers!!

Pile of crap. Always hated that when a guy is going to miss extended time and the guy who throws the hit is allowed to stay in the game and faces a short suspension. Obviously this only applies to penalties but I just don't get how sets any sort of a penalty to get kids to stop doing this on the ice

The B1G Conf needs to take this whole situation very seriously.

Just from a practical financial point of view, allowing this kind of thing to continue without being severely punished can only hurt the conference as a whole.

The B1G allowing the worst team in the NCAA to do long term harm to another B1G team that still has a shot at making the post season this season just doesn't make financial sense. The Conf should have come down harder on McGuire.

The B1G, for its own long term best interests, needs to figure out a way to prevent these kinds of things from happening anymore. It's unbelievable to me that the conference hasn't come to understand this yet.

The one game suspension won't mean much to McGuire. I'm sure he's laughing about it because injuring your opponent's knee with a cheap shot is just so hilarious.

I would like to see hits like this taken more seriously as well. If the conference doesn't seriously punish hits where there's an intent to injure than teams are going to have to take retribution into their own hands, leading to additional goonery, ugly skirmishes, and more injuries.

I know this would be unworkable from a practical standpoint, but I have always thought justice would be served in these intent to injure cheap shot situations if the perpetrator didn't get to play again until the victim did. No limit. You end someone's career with an intent to injure play, then you end your own as well.

I know this would be unworkable from a practical standpoint, but I have always thought justice would be served in these intent to injure cheap shot situations if the perpetrator didn't get to play again until the victim did. No limit. You end someone's career with an intent to injure play, then you end your own as well.

Amen to that idea bleed, I was thinking the same thing ever since I heard that he will be out longer than one game.

In the real world, you kick or punch or hit or knee someone with the intent to harm them and you can go to jail.

Maybe they should allow cops to arrest athletes who intentionally try to harm their opponents. Wonder how many kids would pull this kind of crap if they have seen or heard or read of cops going onto the ice and handcuffing and taking away another player for it in the past?!

I know I am being a little unrealistic, but at the same time it just goes to show how differently the world treats and views its stars and famous people, and athletes. They can get away with all kinds of sh1t that the general public would never even think of trying to get away with(outside of drunken idiots at a bar maybe).

There has been at least one instance of a criminal prosecution for on ice conduct, but it was a significantly more egregious assault. Marty McSorley was prosecuted for assault in Canada after laying the lumber on Brashear's head at the end of a game.

There has been at least one instance of a criminal prosecution for on ice conduct, but it was a significantly more egregious assault. Marty McSorley was prosecuted for assault in Canada after laying the lumber on Brashear's head at the end of a game.

I believe bertuzzi was as well as whoever hit the guys from Montreal.

Is there any video of the hit? FWIW, the NCAA may be the only league that doesn't attach a game misconduct to a 5 minute intent to injure penalty.

As for prosecution, Winnipeg police prosecute about two a year. of course that happens in old-timers rec hockey.

Suspension worthy in my mind. Worse if he truly was laughing in the penalty box.

Suspension worthy in my mind. Worse if he truly was laughing in the penalty box.

He absolutely was laughing in the penalty box. It was sickening.

Trying to prosecute someone for these would obviously be impractical in all but the most egregious offenses. I do think that if the Big Ten were to take these dangerous hits more seriously there could be a deterrent effect. A player might think twice about taking someone out if he knew a six or eight game suspension was waiting for him.

Top Bottom