Pitino bans twitter for players, blames self for players being scared

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He should probably ban them from lurking on GopherHole, too, with some of the vitriol that is displayed here. I doubt the players are wasting their time with us, though (as it should be)!

He should probably ban them from lurking on GopherHole, too, with some of the vitriol that is displayed here. I doubt the players are wasting their time with us, though (as it should be)!

+ a bunch. You've noticed too.

And Amelia's reply to my question was "yes."

I just think about how much hatred I get about the Gophers on my Twitter...I can only imagine what the players get. Hard to build confidence when people are constantly tearing you down.

A good reminder to direct your hate at the refs, where it truly belongs.

Wait, really? The level of vitriol and negativity here is miniscule compared to other highly successful programs. Twitter and fan interaction with players is just a part of playing D1 college ball in 2015.

I really doubt that banning Twitter will have any effect whatsoever.

Wait, really? The level of vitriol and negativity here is miniscule compared to other highly successful programs. Twitter and fan interaction with players is just a part of playing D1 college ball in 2015.

TOTAL BS. These are young men, human beings not robots, Zep. NONE of them deserve the crap they get be it on GH, from the media, you name it.

BACK OFF! YOU "SO-CALLED" FANS!!!

+1. Our fan base, this message board and Gopher fans on Twitter are incredibly tame compared to most major college football and basketball programs. In many cases, they aren't even comparable. That doesn't mean a few outliers use some unfortunate language from time to time, but it's nothing compared to most. We are a tame bunch. That doesn't make it right, but having spent a few seasons with the KU program when they were knocked out the first weekend of the NCAA Tourney, and a year when they were the #1 seed in and lost in the Sweet 16...well, and that was before the anonymous days of Twitter.

It's a talking point for Pitino today. I imagine he's getting sick of having to come up with new reasons why we can't close out a close game. This gave him a new talking point for a few minutes with the media.

Beat Nebraska.

Go Gophers!!

TOTAL BS. These are young men, human beings not robots, Zep. NONE of them deserve the crap they get be it on GH, from the media, you name it.

Didn't say anything about it being deserved or the right thing to do.

I said that it's part and parcel of major D1 ball these days. And it is.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> Twitter ban coming, per Pitino. Pitino blaming himself a lot today for guys being scared on Wed.

Go Gophers!!

It's Tubby's Curse!!!!! The rest of the season and for the duration of Pitino's tenure, our players will be standing around, passing the ball to each other until the last 5sec on the shot clock. Too scared to shoot and looking lost on the court. It's the end of all our hopes and dreams for Golden Gopher greatness. $amn you Tubby, $amn you.....:cry:

Your comments are silly. Technology is a part of 2015, but it doesn't mean it has to be blindly accepted without limits. Saying technology is part of the time so "just accept it" would be ridiculous for some one to the say the same thing to a high school kid that is bullied in social media or an online preditor that convesses websites for young kids to pray on - glad to see there is some common sense when people step in an manage it!

What is common knowledge is that there are a whole bunch of idiots out there that say ridiculous things to a phone or computer screen that they would not say to the face of a human being. And if some of those people would actual say it to a persons face, all the more reason that a coach should halt any interaction with thoughtless jokers.

To your last point, I don't know if it will make a diffence since I don't know if it has had a negative impact; however, its obvious that teens in general are impacted by what thier peers say about them - heard of anyone commiting sucide becasue of it. Good for Patino, hope it helps some.

LOL! Donny, you sound like Sid!!!

Good move by coach to attempt to take some blame.

Good move by coach to attempt to take some blame.

I think looking for anything deeper in Pitino's comments than what you just said would be overthinking things. He is trying to get the discussion away from "why are our players such choke artists?"

I don't think this is well thought out and won't last long. All the recruits will come in using twitter and it will be a negative to them to be told not to.

Better to teach them how to use social media and how to ignore it (which I suspect they already do).

I don't think this is well thought out and won't last long. All the recruits will come in using twitter and it will be a negative to them to be told not to.

Better to teach them how to use social media and how to ignore it (which I suspect they already do).

Well, twitter has proven to do very little constructive when it comes to athletes.
They should stay off, especially if they are mentally weak (as they APPEAR to be).

Also, I don't think the level of virtriol is really very high here.
If they are getting scared from reading forum posts on here, well, that's a bigger issue than a twitter ban can solve. And I don't blame angry Gopher fans for that.

Tweet from Damien Johnson

“@VIPJohnson34: Man Twitter wasn’t that popular when I was in college but @GopherHole used to give players nightmares when they look at the fan forum lol”

Pitino bans twitter for players, blames self for players being scared

Oh well, win a game.

Tweet from Damien Johnson

“@VIPJohnson34: Man Twitter wasn’t that popular when I was in college but @GopherHole used to give players nightmares when they look at the fan forum lol”
Uh oh...Luv ya, Damien!

A good reminder to direct your hate at the refs, where it truly belongs.

And the Ghost of Gangelhoff. And Maturi. All of our problems can be linked to one of these three things...

Probably not Twitter. Everyone can lock their accounts to receive only the tweets they want. Hopefully, Lil Dre has taken steps to prevent those horrible tweets he received from happening again.

The whole point is this...a lot of our anonymous "experts" are a $$ holes.

GH BB meltdowns are by far the worst I have ever seen here.

Actually they are so bad that I don't see how anyone could take them seriously. It has been very very bad though.

Bleed has it figured out.

So many people take what a coach is saying at face value and gospel. A lot of times it's just words. Many others, it means something else.

In this particular case, I believe Pitino is just worried about focus. His team has taken some mental turds on the court. He believes he can reduce distractions and hopefully improve player focus in certain ways, including getting players off Twitter.

I'd also recommend (a) stop worrying about free throws - it's a non-issue and (b) play your best players (e.g., EE's low minutes represent a coaching error if the goal is to win basketball games).

+1. Our fan base, this message board and Gopher fans on Twitter are incredibly tame compared to most major college football and basketball programs. In many cases, they aren't even comparable. That doesn't mean a few outliers use some unfortunate language from time to time, but it's nothing compared to most. We are a tame bunch. That doesn't make it right, but having spent a few seasons with the KU program when they were knocked out the first weekend of the NCAA Tourney, and a year when they were the #1 seed in and lost in the Sweet 16...well, and that was before the anonymous days of Twitter.

It's a talking point for Pitino today. I imagine he's getting sick of having to come up with new reasons why we can't close out a close game. This gave him a new talking point for a few minutes with the media.

Beat Nebraska.

Go Gophers!!

I've got to agree with Bleed on this one. Even when asking Little Dre about the worst tweets he's received, he listed 2...and one was that someone should punch him in the face...me, being no one, has received 100 times worse tweets, and a ton more often. If you saw a star player regress at a school like KU, where bball was everything, he would be getting thousands of tweets a day. It never makes it right, but we have a very tame fanbase.

Does this just seem like a dumb excuse to anyone else... I mean yea people are mean and say things they shouldn't on twitter but if it's really becoming such a problem that coach has to ban it then maybe its more character issues. Who knows maybe I'm just getting older but to me this is weak, which is a perfect explanation of how they've been playing lately.

Top Bottom